Legendary bands/albums/whatever you actually don't like

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Never got the point of Stevie Wonder. At. All.
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Good topic! :notworthy: I can think of loads of cases of this.

Perhaps the most obvious one for me (though it is a bit ambivalent) is The Beatles' Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It comes top of poll after poll of greatest albums, and I do have to say the first time I put it on, aged 10, my life changed there and then. That was the moment I stopped listening to the charts and what was being played to me on the radio and started to seek out what I liked.

However it is by no means the Beatles' best - for that I'd say probably Revolver, though I have a soft spot for Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and even *gasp* Magical Mystery Tour. I'd much rather listen to any of them these days. And all Beatles albums did have their terrible moments... usually something to do with Paul being twee or Ringo being given a microphone :lol:
Just opened up this thread to satisfy my curiosity and see which bands were disliked. Then I stumbled upon this post with the 'B' word repeated several times. I dislike them with a passion, and can hardly wait until the day I won't be subjected to them anymore, anywhere, anytime, at all. Now, admittedly, it's not the band's fault. They wrote some great songs and the music scene wouldn't be the same without them. I acknowledge that. But all my life, I encountered these zealots whose life's ambition it was/is to drive a sane person mad by subjecting him/her to fan fanaticism bordering on hysteria and trying to convert said sane person. On the radio too : no day would go by without hearing at least one song of theirs. For me, there was no escaping this band and I've always felt it was being rammed down my throat. 'B' rape, as it were. A mild appreciation for them grew into intense dislike and, today, allergy to all things related to this band. See, a couple of years ago, I ended up in Music Hell, when I unknowingly ended up sharing an appartment with people who were the epitomy of the aforementioned zealotry. For three years in a row I was subjected to this band's music 24/7. I kid you not. Everything the band ever did, said, recorded, taped for screening, what other people said about them, bootlegs, rarities... Everything was analyzed, dissected, sung and repeated thrice a day and discussed ad infinitum. To make matters even worse, they even had this cover band that rehearsed at the appartment two nights a week. So even if this traumatic time has been behind me for three years now, I still suffer from its aftereffects (call it a post traumatic 'B' syndrome) and even if I hear just one of their songs once a year, I react to it by attempting to either remove myself away from it as fast and far as humanly possible or have the song removed from my vicinity. While everyone and their grandmother reveres them, I abhor being subjected to them and their music for as little as a nanosecond...
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Do you feel better for that? :wink:
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

You mean, other than the sweat and fear of waking up after having had another nightmare about Sir Paul et al? ;D

P.S.: Don't point that thing at me unless you mean it... :twisted:
Badlander
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:Never got the point of Stevie Wonder. At. All.
Ever heard any of these ?
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

New Order is one group that I just couldn't get into.I have listenend to loads of their music over the years and I respect them a lot and I know they are adorerd by many but they never worked for me.
Big Si
School Bully

Spigel wrote:New Order is one group that I just couldn't get into.I have listenend to loads of their music over the years and I respect them a lot and I know they are adorerd by many but they never worked for me.
I feel that way about Echo and the Bunnymen :|
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i don't like anything legendary, if anything it makes me suspicious of the act. This whole concept is one created by media and corporations, they choose to promote some artists and make them legendary. It's all completely irrelevant to me. And, objectivelly looking at them, they really are full of crap. Like Black Sabbath, or Pink Floyd, or U2, or Guns N' Roses, or Nirvana, or or or.

There's different reasons as to why different things have been promoted over everything else and created into legendary status in our minds.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Ramone

In line with what Boudicca said about Mr Wonder. I've always thought that being his manager, album sleeve artist ,accountant or stylist must be the easist job in the world.

Some examples that may of occured :

Wonder to his laughing stylist : " Are you sure this won't make me look like a complete tw*t on global television?" - moments before he takes to the stage at Live8 in that riduclous poncho thing that he graced us with.

A + R man at Ste's record label : " Steve, this picture of you on the cover is breath taking, the depth of perception captures your very escence, it radiates the rainbow of emotions that you so eminate.! As Wonder gazes upon a horde of foam covered bikini clad beauties bending over the bonnet of a Corvette whilst super-imposed over yet another unflaterring, out of focus picture of himself in the bath aged 7, now being marketed as a 'concept' album cover.

As for his accountant : "The figure's never lie, just take a look for yourself Stevie and prove me wrong."
[/quote]
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Badlander wrote:
Ummm.... no :oops:

But does that take away a shred of my conviction? Does it f- :twisted:
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

I never understood the atraction to these

Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

No me neither. KISS are a bad joke.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
vicus

Well - I really loved KISS...
when I was 9 years old
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
James Blast
Banned

vicus wrote:Well - I really loved KISS...
No! Kiss were just silly and they ruined an Argent classic, the Bastards! :evil:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Lightshade
Road Kill

The rolling stones... :urff: it's time to lay you heads to rest now mr. Jagger,Richards and Watts.

Angie... angieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :evil: :roll:
James Blast
Banned

G'n'R ~ You could be Whine, a more apt title I think? :innocent:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
eotunun
Overbomber

A band I allways hated are the Scorpions. The music has no balls, the singer sounds like he hasn´t any either..
There is shadow under this red rock
Badlander
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:
Badlander wrote:
Ummm.... no :oops:

But does that take away a shred of my conviction? Does it f- :twisted:
I guess it should, unless you're totally insensitive to soul music. 70s Stevie Wonder is considered by many a genius, and certainly has very little to do with the pathetic 80s version we all know and hate (with good reasons).

Just like this Bowie
Image:notworthy:
has very little to do with that Bowie
Image:urff:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
...unless you're totally insensitive to soul music. 70s Stevie Wonder is considered by many a genius, and certainly has very little to do with the pathetic 80s version we all know and hate (with good reasons).
I'm with you on this one, Eric :wink:
Up to Hotter Than July (1980) he made really great albums. Hotter Than July itself had some misses, but also a few classics ('Master Blaster' of course and I really love 'All I do' too), but then it's gone...
in dub we trust
Arch Deviant
Amphetamine Filth

spot778 wrote:Nick Cave: Too goff
Have I got the wrong concept of 'Goth'?

Sexgang Children / Bauhaus / Make-up/ Victoriana / Humourless songs. Doesn';t sound like Nick Cave to me.
Y quedo llorando, llorando, llorando, llorando por tu amor
canon docre
Overbomber

Arch Deviant wrote:

Sexgang Children / Bauhaus / Make-up/ Victoriana / Humourless songs. Doesn';t sound like Nick Cave to me.
Well, he was in the 80s. 8)

Proof: the father of one of my schoolmates owned a well-known pub. One day he'd told me: Hey why don't you come over once to my pub. I have a regular who would fit you perfectly, thin as a stick, ridiculously pointy cowboy boots, tousled black hair and staring nightlong gloomily in his drinks...

I took a look at the guy just to be confronted with bloody Nick Cave :eek: (whom I adored very much back then...).

Too bad that I was just f**king 15 years old back then and a real beginner....
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
spot778 wrote: Kate Bush: I respect her as an artist but just never got in to her which is odd considering my musical tastes
We need to talk. :von:
Again I don't dispute her talent as I think she's incredibly talented, but honestly if push came to shove I would have to admit The Sensual World came really really close to tipping me over to her side and Rubberband Man wasn't bad either. I'm not saying she's crap far from it. You'll have to make me a mixed tape so I know what I'm missing :D

Erm Nick Cave ...

Where The Wild Roses Grow :innocent:
End of line.
James Blast
Banned

canon docre wrote:
Arch Deviant wrote:

I took that at Nightmoves on The Birthday Party's farewell tour, 82-83-ish not that Goth, not like this...
;D
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Goff or not, they're both :notworthy:

I have to confess to really liking a lot of the songs on "Tonight", Badlander. I quite enjoyed Bowie's sellout phase... not his finest hour, but I can dig it.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:
canon docre wrote:
Arch Deviant wrote: Have I got the wrong concept of 'Goth'?

I took that at Nightmoves on The Birthday Party's farewell tour, 82-83-ish not that Goth, not like this...
;D
dinnae see much of a difference there James ;D
End of line.