RSD BBC Sessions release

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

I wonder what they use as the source when they play tracks from the 1984 session on BBC 6 Music? There must be something in the archive.

Some of the older recordings we've had for years seem to sound better than this new release, which is annoying!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

You won’t make me jealous always sounded fine to my fuddled ears
Goths have feelings too
Pista
Cureboi

mh wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 19:19 Von did mention that one of the original masters had been destroyed, so maybe that was the 1984 session. It would certainly explain the ongoing issues with it.
Could be the different producer.
Nonesuch wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 19:28 I wonder what they use as the source when they play tracks from the 1984 session on BBC 6 Music? There must be something in the archive.

Some of the older recordings we've had for years seem to sound better than this new release, which is annoying!
The Beeb have a massive archive & even have (or at least did have) an email contact for archive queries. I've asked about The Cure sessions with questionable dates before & they've been quite helpful.

It shouldn't be too difficult to patch in that first NTTC note from the original FM capture. Might take a bit of fiddling to eq it to match so it won't be perfect. But it's worth a shot.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

when i get my CD of this new release I am going to compile & compare all the noticeably different versions there are... hopefully by then someone with the tech & ability & the vinyl will have needle-dropped it (for compare & review purposes) and sent me a copy :innocent:

BECAUSE: there's a few things of possibl;e interest, to me at least, such as the standalone tracks from the '82 session against the segued versions; the DJ intro'd versions taped from the radio-the Kid Jensen spoken-over start of Heartland (very first broadcast i'd hazard) against the better analogue recordings; the later stereo broadcasts and the digital ; the streamed releases and paid download releases and all of these up against the very high sound quality of my best copies (which differ in all sorts of tiny annoying ways from the rest... but most of all I am confused by the start(s) of Burn. The very first beat of the Doktor has an extra cymbal on one version, none on the other. both versions are complete -no beats missed off the begining or other tracks / sounds overlaid- but NOT the same. i'm in middle of installing new OS on PC but will upload and post links to the anomalous files asap)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

Nonesuch wrote: 15 Aug 2021, 16:38 Finally got hold of my copy of the BBC Sessions double vinyl.

Well, without wanting to be the voice of doom and gloom, I’ve got to say that I don’t think the issues with the 1984 Peel session have been fixed. I’m pretty sure these are the same versions that are available for download and streaming. I haven’t listened on headphones yet, so maybe someone could say I’m wrong, but I think the audio is still lacking the higher frequencies. Take Emma for example - the hi-hats are barely audible.

I can’t imagine the new CD version will be any different - and it’s so disappointing after all this time. I don’t know what’s happened with the transfer of this session, I’m sure some more hi-fi savvy members of the forum will be able to explain...

Also the first note of No Time to Cry is chopped off, exactly the same as the downloads.

If you listen to the versions available on YouTube, or the recordings that I think were shared here, the difference is night and day.
I just compared an FM master of the 84 session to the new release & it sounds way better.
First note of NTTC is there too.
Conversely, first drum beat of Emma is missing as is half the first cymbal crash in Walk Away.
But overall, the sound is nice and crisp. Not like the new sessions release at all.
Only drawback is the minor FM hiss, but even that isn't that bad
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Pista wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 12:50 I just compared an FM master of the 84 session to the new release & it sounds way better.
First note of NTTC is there too.
Conversely, first drum beat of Emma is missing as is half the first cymbal crash in Walk Away.
But overall, the sound is nice and crisp. Not like the new sessions release at all.
Only drawback is the minor FM hiss, but even that isn't that bad
Yes - this is what I'm talking about!

Is the FM master the version that was available on Dimeadozen and Dark Circle Room? Definitely sounds a lot better, you're right.

Presumably the little bits missing are just cut short because Peel maybe talked over the intros slightly. That would make sense.

I've also noticed something very weird - listen to the start of Poison Door on the FM version compared to the new version - the way Eldritch sings 'Behind' is actually different. Short on the FM recording, long on the new vinyl/download version. Have a listen! Can't really explain that one!

I'll have to find my old cassette with this session on too, to see what that sounds like.
eastmidswhizzkid

a question to new release owners: ius floorshow segued into Alice? i have stand-alone versions of both and a segued versiion.

Nonesuch
Road Kill

All the tracks are separate.

I think the segued version is from a 6 Music broadcast where they played the full session.

I don't doubt the 'new' versions are from the master tapes in the BBC archive, I just think something went wrong with the '84 transfer (or with the actual tape itself).
eastmidswhizzkid

Heres what is bugging me:
The very first beat of the doktor's intro (on what is clearly the same recording of the song) is different! the first is plain 606 bass drum + hi-hat whereas the second has a crash cymbal as well! both drum-intros are complete without any beats cut off. and although the second is from the recent streaming download that cymbal isnt a recent addition as i found an MP4 orf all 3 sessions on youtube where Burn is the same as the stream release.

m y best quality version;

https://mega.nz/file/H6JGSZiR#-PpFR6AZs ... v_B9wOirHU

streamed download version:

https://mega.nz/file/uyJyzbjR#8h-r8EQel ... YV43Agvlnc

Nonesuch
Road Kill

Okay, I've downloaded your two versions of Burn, and these are my findings...

(Apologies for the ultra geekiness of all this)

So I've got two digital versions - the new streaming/download version, and one 15 minute MP3 file of a 6 Music broadcast of the whole 1983 session. The BBC broadcast has some talking in-between tracks and some crossfades too. So in my audio editor I've lined up the EMWK 'my best quality burn', the new download, and also the BBC digital broadcast.

First of all, they all line up perfectly, (which proves to me they're all the same source) but the BBC broadcast version has the presenter slightly talking over the first couple of beats of Burn. And the ending crossfades into Valentine. On your 'my best quality burn' it fades out too early just as Valentine would start.

I don't know where you got that version from, but I'm 99% sure that someone has simply edited the intro and copied and pasted the beats from the second or third bar onto the first. (So the cymbal is missing, because it doesn't appear again in the intro.)

What do you think? And anyway, what about the Poison Door intro, that's weirder!!
eastmidswhizzkid

Nonesuch wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 15:25 Okay, I've downloaded your two versions of Burn, and these are my findings...

(Apologies for the ultra geekiness of all this)

So I've got two digital versions - the new streaming/download version, and one 15 minute MP3 file of a 6 Music broadcast of the whole 1983 session. The BBC broadcast has some talking in-between tracks and some crossfades too. So in my audio editor I've lined up the EMWK 'my best quality burn', the new download, and also the BBC digital broadcast.

First of all, they all line up perfectly, (which proves to me they're all the same source) but the BBC broadcast version has the presenter slightly talking over the first couple of beats of Burn. And the ending crossfades into Valentine. On your 'my best quality burn' it fades out too early just as Valentine would start.
thanks for this. no apologies required for geekiness- its exactly what i wanted!
Nonesuch wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 15:25 I don't know where you got that version from, but I'm 99% sure that someone has simply edited the intro and copied and pasted the beats from the second or third bar onto the first. (So the cymbal is missing, because it doesn't appear again in the intro.)

What do you think? And anyway, what about the Poison Door intro, that's weirder!!
Ah! the copy and paste idea hadnt occured to me and is the most plausible explanation. as for the files origins welll that is a very good question. i have no idea except i burned the CD-R myself so must logically have downloaded the files but no idea where from. it wasnt here. all 3 sessions came together. the 82 one has a standalone Alice as well as Floorshow crossfaded/segued into Alice; a combination i have yet to come across elsewhere,.

i have just orderd the CD release for friday anyway so I will relisten to the Poison Door intro and get back to you.

paint it black

Could it be because the same session was broadcast twice, ** so the talking / fading is different depending on which source was the 'master' this 'might' explain why it lines up in the middle.

Twice in 1984 and at least twice in more modern times **
Last edited by paint it black on 24 Aug 2021, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
paint it black

I think Wayne and Quiet Mike first surfaced the digital versions. I have so many now because everyone had a go at them
Goths have feelings too
Memphis Rich
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I am impressed by the quality of this pressing. There are absolutely no snaps, crackles or pops on my copy.
I can also report that the labels are properly centred and fully adhered to the vinyl.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Just heard that a CD with my name on it has been posted out from Crash to LS28 :)
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My cd was sent today :D
mh
Above the Chemist

Mine is on the way as well! :)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

I also got notified about a package being on its way ... :bat: ...
mh
Above the Chemist

This is slightly freaky because I'm going to be away for a short while, so I'm not going to see the physical package until Tuesday.

I do expect that it'll hit the usual streaming and download services, and no doubt like the lunatic that I am I'll probably end up buying a digital copy of it as well.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

mh wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 16:00 This is slightly freaky because I'm going to be away for a short while, so I'm not going to see the physical package until Tuesday.

I do expect that it'll hit the usual streaming and download services, and no doubt like the lunatic that I am I'll probably end up buying a digital copy of it as well.
Isn't it all on the already? Spotify have had the Peel sessions up for some time.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
mh
Above the Chemist

ribbons69 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 22:29
mh wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 16:00 This is slightly freaky because I'm going to be away for a short while, so I'm not going to see the physical package until Tuesday.

Isn't it all on the already? Spotify have had the Peel sessions up for some time.
The 82 Peel Session is unavailable outside the UK. :(
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

Its been stealable in mp3 format on a download site for 9 days now....if thats your kind of thing...
czuczu
Overbomber

Mine just turned up. Got brief but genuine tingle when I turned it over and saw that font and layout - it's been a while!
mh
Above the Chemist

Bonksi wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 10:34 Its been stealable in mp3 format on a download site for 9 days now....if thats your kind of thing...
Ah yeah, and like most of us I've had very high quality versions of all of these songs for decades too. But it's not the same, you know? It's not a new, official release, from the Sisters, acquired through regular legal channels. :lol:
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

My CD arrived today. I'm not one of the audiophiles so I can only say it sounds good. True, the first note of No Time To Cry is missing, but it's an embarrassing work-in-progress no-time-to-write-proper-lyrics version anyway. I'm happy to have Good Things, Jolene and Emma on a physical product, finally.