2023-09-23 The Roundhouse, London, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters 2023 tour.
godgirl
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Rossva1189 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 18:23 No idea how many times I’ve seen the sisters over the years, must be at least 20 times. This was, without doubt, worst show I’ve ever seen.

God knows what was going on with eldritch, my guess was he was wasted, but the way he left Ben to cover most of the vocals was a joke. I didn’t spend almost £1k (all things considered for the travel, the accommodation etc) to see a sisters covers band. But that’s what this felt like.
As a Londoner these gigs were cheap for me, but over the decades I've spent a whole lot more...
Mind you, in context, 20 gigs is really nothing (a few people have been to well over 200) and you've obviously missed some truly dreadful and/or pedestrian outings from them! :lol:

I would just say that resenting the fact that they had to play with only one guitarist in an unexpected and unanticipated scenario, and deciding it was so bad that you had to set up an account especially to complain about how much it cost you to be disappointed isn't really going to provoke much sympathy from anyone here... :roll: :roll: :roll:
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Sounds like missing these gigs wasn’t so bad after all !.
Craig Fox
Road Kill

Rossva1189 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 18:23 No idea how many times I’ve seen the sisters over the years, must be at least 20 times. This was, without doubt, worst show I’ve ever seen.

I read with interest the thread about 22/09 (couldn’t make it to this one, only 23/09), and seems both dates were an absolute car wreck.

God knows what was going on with eldritch, my guess was he was wasted, but the way he left Ben to cover most of the vocals was a joke. I didn’t spend almost £1k (all things considered for the travel, the accommodation etc) to see a sisters covers band. But that’s what this felt like.

A terrible shame cos the set list was bloody awesome, shame some of the songs were almost unrecognisable.

And whoever was in charge on the mixing desk needs their P45. The sound was dire.

I EVEN contemplated leaving before the encore, person I was with spoke me out of it though.
100% agree
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

I read with interest the thread about 22/09 (couldn’t make it to this one, only 23/09), and seems both dates were an absolute car wreck.

A terrible shame cos the set list was bloody awesome, shame some of the songs were almost unrecognisable.

And whoever was in charge on the mixing desk needs their P45. The sound was dire.

I EVEN contemplated leaving before the encore, person I was with spoke me out of it though.
You really don’t want to know how much I paid. Plane tickets 3 weeks before show. Those alone were twice your entire cost. I had passport issues

Difference between us is I was f**k it all to perfection, innuendo. Plotting. I just said Damn I’m seeing the Sisters in London. It may be my last time because they ain’t coming back to the States. And after this tour. Eldritch might just say. “Two tears in a bucket. Mother f**k it”. And go back to reading full time.
This place is death with walls
Being645
Wiki Wizard

paint it black wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:46
LyanvisAberrant wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:05 I am very interested in hearing a recording of when you don't see me from this night if anyone's got one!
There was a bit of that song where Ben realised he was on his own. His voice falters and he looked momentarily like he was gonna say f**k it, but then hunkered down and carried it off very well.
Here's a snippet of it ...

Rossva1189
Road Kill

godgirl wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 19:24

As a Londoner these gigs were cheap for me, but over the decades I've spent a whole lot more...
Mind you, in context, 20 gigs is really nothing (a few people have been to well over 200) and you've obviously missed some truly dreadful and/or pedestrian outings from them! :lol:

I would just say that resenting the fact that they had to play with only one guitarist in an unexpected and unanticipated scenario, and deciding it was so bad that you had to set up an account especially to complain about how much it cost you to be disappointed isn't really going to provoke much sympathy from anyone here... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Blimey! Sorry for having an opinion I’m sure!

As for the new account, I’ve been a member here for many years, admittedly haven’t logged in for maybe a year or so, and couldn’t remember my password. Submitted a pwd reset and it never came through, hence new account. I hope that’s ok with you.
Fallon
Road Kill

MrBlonde's rather stunning coverage of I Will Call You appears to give a fairly decisive take on what Eldritch makes of Dylan's future in the band.

As a totally irrelevant aside, I don't think this song works as an opener. It's one of my fave of the new tunes but I feel like it's supposed to slither into the set and creep up behind you, it doesn't quite give the same stomp as Don't Drive On Ice as a declaration of first principles, does it?
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Fallon wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 08:22 MrBlonde's rather stunning coverage of I Will Call You appears to give a fairly decisive take on what Eldritch makes of Dylan's future in the band.

As a totally irrelevant aside, I don't think this song works as an opener. It's one of my fave of the new tunes but I feel like it's supposed to slither into the set and creep up behind you, it doesn't quite give the same stomp as Don't Drive On Ice as a declaration of first principles, does it?
Agreed, it´s an awesome song but not a great opener.
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
DJW
Road Kill

I Will Call You really suffers from having only one guitar.

When I’m on Fire would make a better alternative opener in my opinion.
LyanvisAberrant

TheGoodSon wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 09:11
Fallon wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 08:22 MrBlonde's rather stunning coverage of I Will Call You appears to give a fairly decisive take on what Eldritch makes of Dylan's future in the band.

Agreed, it´s an awesome song but not a great opener.
Especially when they leave the first two beats of DDOI to count us in at the wrong speed, haha
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
H. Blackrose

So from 2:00-2:18 there, Von is actually miming the last moments of Dylan's presence in the band, huh

But tell me: did the second night *sound* better than the first?
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
LyanvisAberrant

I think it did sound better than the first, if not only because Dylans dodgy equipment and whatever-else wasn't there.
Just occured to me how pointed an opener IWCY is, considering the circumstances? "i will call you a car..."
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
godgirl

Rossva1189 wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 21:34

Blimey! Sorry for having an opinion I’m sure!

As for the new account, I’ve been a member here for many years, admittedly haven’t logged in for maybe a year or so, and couldn’t remember my password. Submitted a pwd reset and it never came through, hence new account. I hope that’s ok with you.
My apologies for making an assumption... maybe you could've mentioned that? :?:

I think most people here are likely to already have accepted that spending possibly thousands on questionable nights out is a risk one takes with following the band.
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness"
godgirl

Do gig review/photos go here or in a separate part of the forum?

Was on the RC site trying to find their recent goth based issue and saw these were on their site from the 23rd. A few nice photos, no review though. Interestingly, RC hasn't covered The Sisters since 1987?!

https://recordcollectormag.com/gig-gall ... ert-sutton
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

godgirl wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:35 Do gig review/photos go here or in a separate part of the forum?

Was on the RC site trying to find their recent goth based issue and saw these were on their site from the 23rd. A few nice photos, no review though. Interestingly, RC hasn't covered The Sisters since 1987?!

Here is perfect, cheers for the link, nice pics indeed 8) can't for the life of me imagine why Record Collector hasn't had much to say about the band for the last few decades :innocent: ;D
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Gothicbiff

godgirl wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 15:35 Do gig review/photos go here or in a separate part of the forum?

Thanks for this :notworthy:
Photos of Chris are really good, with the new lighting design
I have seen The Sisters at The Paradiso. I will die happy
With massive thanks to Ruffers for his company and help.
A girl is never too old to wear a Sisters tshirt!
DungBeetle
Road Kill

I have been lurking silently but watching these developments with interest. Had been planning to do the back-to-back in Vegas earlier this year but circumstances intervened. This has been virtually the only source of "News" I can find as the bands appeal has become selective enough to slip in under the normal news channels.

But it must be said. After years of needling and invites from my friends who've supported "the other team" since it was founded. I relented and last weekend traveled to LA to see the back-to-back of two nights with "Team Wayne" and I fear that's damaged the whole of this reality - maybe not to the degree The Flash did. Not yet.

So apologies to all for The Damage Done.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

DungBeetle wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 21:14 I have been lurking silently but watching these developments with interest. Had been planning to do the back-to-back in Vegas earlier this year but circumstances intervened. This has been virtually the only source of "News" I can find as the bands appeal has become selective enough to slip in under the normal news channels.

But it must be said. After years of needling and invites from my friends who've supported "the other team" since it was founded. I relented and last weekend traveled to LA to see the back-to-back of two nights with "Team Wayne" and I fear that's damaged the whole of this reality - maybe not to the degree The Flash did. Not yet.

Bloody hell. Write clearly please. AE writes in an oblique way but that doesn't mean you have to.
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @DungBeetle & welcome to :hl: :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

I know it’s several days ago but I’ve got Covid. For all those I was close to, it might be worth testing.

Posted on the other RH thread too
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
godgirl

Almiche V wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 23:12
DungBeetle wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 21:14

Bloody hell. Write clearly please. AE writes in an oblique way but that doesn't mean you have to.
Indeed, not sure if @DungBeetle was writing positively of "the other team" or negatively in relation to TSOM.
Two completely different bands, the link is almost as helpful these days as comparing the ?live? ?recorded? output of SSS, GenX, EM or AAE with TSOM...

:roll:
Incoming!
Amphetamine Filth

Many good parts of this show for me. Just keen on seeing them. Best was the playing of "When you don't hear me." Almost made me cry.

I cried non-stop during Steve Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing show. I was up front, and the band were looking at me with concern. Really sad time in my life. The lyrics just fit.
This place is death with walls
sharedgum
Road Kill

Incoming! wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 17:03 Many good parts of this show for me. Just keen on seeing them. Best was the playing of "When you don't hear me." Almost made me cry.

I cried non-stop during Steve Wilson's The Raven Who Refused to Sing show. I was up front, and the band were looking at me with concern. Really sad time in my life. The lyrics just fit.
Happy that there is another Steven Wilson fan on here! ;)
DungBeetle
Road Kill

godgirl wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 11:43 Indeed, not sure if @DungBeetle was writing positively of "the other team" or negatively in relation to TSOM.
Two completely different bands, the link is almost as helpful these days as comparing the ?live? ?recorded? output of SSS, GenX, EM or AAE with TSOM...

:roll:
The other team was enjoyable but, yes, now having seen them both the dynamics of a totally live band vs. one band delivering better material (IMO) with only the guitars and vocals live makes a comparison impossible.

My main issue was I finally give in to years... actually decades of "come to a Mish show" from those I've been friends with since the 80s... and look what happens to TSOM that very weekend. Cue Anakin Skywalker's "What have I done??" lament just after his turn to the Dark Side?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

DungBeetle wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 21:14 [...]
I relented and last weekend traveled to LA to see the back-to-back of two nights with "Team Wayne" and I fear that's damaged the whole of this reality - maybe not to the degree The Flash did. Not yet.

Well, your reality surely has changed ... a damage o not? ... extending one's horizon is basically a good thing and the conclusions you might draw are - your own and hardly anything beyond that fact ... so, honestly, I see no reason to worry or apologise ... :wink: ... we are all human beings and just who we are.