First And Last And Always Original Mixes

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

mh wrote:Yup, very noticeable differences.

I remember replacing my old 85 mixes cassette with a remixed copy, and was utterly gutted when I heard it first. This was before the 92 "remaster" fiasco, too.

Anyway, isn't it about time this thread was binned? There are plenty of other more appropriate places to discuss the different mixes now, and it's probably best to restrict any discussion to there so as not to fragment things too much.

Just a thought...
I wouldn't bin it, this thread is a goldmine of information, I've found it very useful in the past, perhaps move it to the FAQ section?
robertzombie
Overbomber

How many times has this thread been resurrected? :lol:

Couple of new[ish] questions:

Is the 1988 CD the "Japanese mix" or is the Japanese mix a completely different release? And if the '88 CD is the Japanese mix then why is it called the Japanese mix when the CD was released in the US and Europe?

ALSO! The new CD (from 2006) claims to be the original '85 mixes (which I'm pretty sure it is). If the original tapes were lost then what's the source?
Pursued By Trees
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Is the 1988 CD the "Japanese mix" or is the Japanese mix a completely different release? And if the '88 CD is the Japanese mix then why is it called the Japanese mix when the CD was released in the US and Europe?

ALSO! The new CD (from 2006) claims to be the original '85 mixes (which I'm pretty sure it is). If the original tapes were lost then what's the source?
Having just waded through all of the posts on this thread before adding my own twopenneth ...

From what's been said it seems that there was a '92 CD issue of FALAA which was the Japanese mix. Hope this helps?

I have the '88 CD (France:WE851) which I bought when it was released in order to replace my original casette copy. I can't remember whether the tape had the white edge to the red writing on the sleeve or not ... I do remember a yellow stripe across the top or bottom edge of the sleeve announcing that it was a chrome cassette.

The 2 main differences that I immediately noticed between the '88 CD and my tape were that the intro to FALAA was different ... although now I can't recall exactly how, just that on the CD it's more jangly (less drums) and maybe a little longer ... and that a hitherto unheard guitar track had appeared in the left hand speaker on A Rock And A Hard Place ... especially noticable during the intro before the first verse begins. This doesn't happen on the most recent '06 re-issue, which would maybe tend to support the argument that it's a more faithful reproduction of the original '85 issue mixes.

As to the source for the most recent re-issue ... maybe the original tapes re-surfaced? Maybe Von kidnapped them himself to maintain some extra control against Warners until such a time as it suited his purpose to have them re-appear. There isn't much you could really put past him when it comes to dealing with record companies is there?
I'm headed for the trees over there
If that's not a destination
I don't care
anikk
Road Kill

Loki wrote:... compared [No Time to Cry] and [Walk Away] with the [A Slight Case of Overbombing] versions and apart from the extra effects on the single versions it sounds the same to me ...
I didn't know that. What are the exact differences between the UK 1985 Vinyl-LP and UK 12"-single cuts of WA and NTTC? Does anybody know for sure? I didn't notice anything. I assume it's a slight studio remix/remaster issue again, but what is it more exactly?

Thanks a lot for reading.

robertzombie wrote:How many times has this thread been resurrected? :lol:

Couple of new[ish] questions:

Is the 1988 CD the "Japanese mix" or is the Japanese mix a completely different release? And if the '88 CD is the Japanese mix then why is it called the Japanese mix when the CD was released in the US and Europe?
Rob, no problem. Believe me, I know your troubles :D! This is how I know it after a long long time of "research":

UK 1985 vinyl = US original vinyl = UK 2006 CD
--> Original Mixes

Japan original vinyl = UK 1988 CD =* US 1988 CD =** UK 1992 CD
--> So called "Japanese Mixes". Why is it called so? I assume because domestically Japan ALWAYS had that different version ONLY.

Important notes:
- These things DO NOT exist: "US 1992 CD", "US 2006 CD"
- All vinyl versions that in some cases came with CD re-issues and therefore are not the UK 1985 vinyl or the US original vinyl, ARE NOT the original Mixes

Please ask, if somethings still uncelar! And members: Please correct me, if something's wrong above. So everybody can read how it really is and have the correct knowledge. Many thanks. :)

By the way: The UK 2006 CD is absolutely fantastic. It's the real thing!

* on the US 1988 CD two or three tracks = UK 1985 vinyl (remember, on the UK 1988 CD ALL TRACKS = Japan original vinyl)
** The UK 1992 CD is just a remastered re-issue of the UK 1988 CD
mh
Above the Chemist

anikk wrote:
Loki wrote:... compared [No Time to Cry] and [Walk Away] with the [A Slight Case of Overbombing] versions and apart from the extra effects on the single versions it sounds the same to me ...
I didn't know that. What are the exact differences between the UK 1985 Vinyl-LP and UK 12"-single cuts of WA and NTTC? Does anybody know for sure? I didn't notice anything. I assume it's a slight studio remix/remaster issue again, but what is it more exactly?
There's no difference aside from what you said (although there is a 7" mix of NTTC which has the intro and outro truncated slightly).

It might be the case that there is some confusion owing to the absence of the original LP mixes for such a long time; the takes on Overbombing may be being seen as "single mixes". They're not.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
anikk
Road Kill

Yes, thanks mh. This cleared things up. Thank you!

And yeah, of course. That's a brilliant idea :idea:. It's only logical, a lot of people only knew the pre-2006 CDs and thought the original mixes are dedicated single mixes. This cleares up a lot. :notworthy:

My personal opinion is that the two tracks are EQed better and are louder on ASCOO, but have more instrumental depth on the 2006 re-issue. But I can be wrong of course. It's just a mastering issue anyway and you're right. It is my conclusion as well. The 12" cuts and the UK 2006 CD tracks are exactly the SAME MIXES in the musical sense!

Thanks again mh! :)
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

I have WEA, manufactured in the states 1985. I am not remastered which makes me happy
anikk
Road Kill

You have this one: Elektra 075596040525. It only says 1985, but in reality it is not from 1985 but from 1988. It's the regular US 1988 CD. That means that, except for two or three tracks, it's the Japanese Mixes and not the Original Mixes! Only the UK 2006 CD is the Original Mixes for all tracks.
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

okay you are right. there goes my happiness heh
anikk
Road Kill

Sorry for the unhappy news. :(

But as said above: The UK 2006 CD. The wonderful original for only a few bucks compared to the long and hard times we suffered. :wink:
sziamiau
Slight Overbomber

oh no problem..I just need to get it that's all. ;D
robertzombie
Overbomber

Still wondering about the source of 2006 CD...
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:your local store.
Smart. Arse. :P
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

FALAA, what a fine jolly record about our leader's mishaps in speed wonderland :urff:
Being645
Intellectual Love God

demolitionsisters wrote:FALAA, what a fine jolly record about our leader's mishaps in speed wonderland :urff:
... :lol: ... it were pretty nice, if that were all about it ...
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Man, if only we could get our hands into the master tapes, come to think about it, we could isolate each track and listen to these tiny wonders apart. As for me, I'd rape the doc's channel day and night, I'm assuming that'd be a proper way to get a real boner these days, there's just something addictive about that old chap's snare - there you have it. :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

robertzombie
Overbomber

Just picked up the USA vinyl promo. A1/B1 cut at Masterdisk by Howie Weinberg. I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the unique mix of Walk Away on this before. I assume it was corrected for the general release Elektra vinyl?

Real time edits:

No Time To Cry sounds underdeveloped as well.

A Rock and a Hard Place contains a timing/panning error on the first synth bass note (an error that occurs on some latter general release pressings) and Eldritch's vocal is slightly forward?

Marian has more snare reverb and the 12 string guitar is louder in the chorus than usual. Wayne's backing vocal is louder at the end.

Slightly longer tail on the fade out to the title track.

Exceptionally punchy mastering on Possession!

Side note: I always wondered why the general release pressings had late matrix numbers (from memory A6/B2). This implies that earlier lacquers were unsuitable in some way. It seems perhaps this Elektra promo is an insight into that history.
Last edited by robertzombie on 02 Jun 2014, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Finished listening. Certainly the most notable aspect of this pressing is the unique (correct me if I'm wrong) mix of Walk Away:

Different drum arrangement and fx
The band are recessed and the vocal forward (likely a mastering decision as the rest of this pressing exhibits a similar sound in this regard)
Piano track more distinguishable in the mix.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I'll have to compare these mixes to the WEA Mixes bootleg to see if they match up. No Time to Cry has a similar feel to Walk Away, especially in the drum production. Given that these are the singles I think they must be earlier rough mixes that ended up at Elektra.
RockNRoll Mercenary
Amphetamine Filth

I bought an original FALAA vinyl in Manchester last month. The mixes/sound are amazing I did a review of it on my blog and well as as swipe at people who remaster stuff.

http://crackedactor92.wordpress.com/
'Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future'- Oscar Wilde
I'll see you tomorrow.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

robertzombie
Overbomber

SRC, yes that must be it.
mh
Above the Chemist

RockNRoll Mercenary wrote:I bought an original FALAA vinyl in Manchester last month. The mixes/sound are amazing I did a review of it on my blog and well as as swipe at people who remaster stuff.

http://crackedactor92.wordpress.com/
Sounds like the CD version you got was the dreaded "Japanese mixes" version. It's not just a remaster, it's a completely different (and vastly inferior) mix.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.