Worst Sisters songs.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Badlander
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
Badlander wrote:
- Alice 2003 (not so much for musical reasons as for the commercial intention)

Erm... Alice 2003 ? Now is that an ultra super rare release no one here knows about ? How much is it worth on eBay ? :eek: :lol: 8)
As for commercial intention...
a- I have no problem with that as such. Doesn't stop a song from being good per se.
b- That was just a b-side. :innocent:
c- Me like this new version.
I think that's the Lowpower mix or something alike, isn't it? Just a track remixed by somebody to which The Sisters aren't even slightly connected
Then you can hardly call that a Sisters song, can you ? :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
czuczu
Overbomber

Planet Dave wrote:The only thing I can add to this most unusual thread is that Will I Dream? sometimes sounds a bit flat. Other times, however, like the Forum in 98 (well spotted skynet) it rocks like an epileptic b@stard. :notworthy:

Pretty much every time I think 'wish they'd drop <insert tune of the day>' they play a storming version (cf. Something Fast - Leeds 2001, Giving Ground - Leeds 2005, etc).

And now it's all gonna be different again with this new-fangled Count Of Monte Christo or whatever he's called. 8)
'Will I Dream?' with Mike Varjak definitely had a lot more meat on it's bones. :twisted:
From what I've heard of this new Count of Monte Christo fella, he's a lot more 90210 than he is M62 :innocent:
lachert
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:
Badlander wrote:

Erm... Alice 2003 ? Now is that an ultra super rare release no one here knows about ? How much is it worth on eBay ? :eek: :lol: 8)
a- I have no problem with that as such. Doesn't stop a song from being good per se.
I think that's the Lowpower mix or something alike, isn't it? Just a track remixed by somebody to which The Sisters aren't even slightly connected
don't be ridiculous :evil:
it's of course remix of dirty funker :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
skynet
Road Kill

"Ribbons" on the bootleg of Heidelberg 1990 is excellent.
I particularly like ultra-heavy rhythm which doktor avalanche is creating.

As far as Ribbons is concerns, it sounds far better than
subsequent live performance. (I mean 90-91 live is the best).

I hope several songs will be played again. such as:
- heartland
- no time to cry
- a rock and a hard place
- nine while nine
bookish
Road Kill

By far the worst is Heartland.
Then Anaconda.
I think I like everything else
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

lachert wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
Badlander wrote:

don't be ridiculous :evil:
it's of course remix of dirty funker :lol:
Ah, that one :lol:

Well, that's hardly connected either, is it :?:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
Badlander
Overbomber

bookish wrote:By far the worst is Heartland.
Then Anaconda.
Aaaaaaaaaah ! Stop this nonsense ! :urff:
Welcome to HL by the way.

I shouldn't follow this thread anymore, it's no good. :urff:
DGP00666
Amphetamine Filth

The worst song is "I Will Always Love You", by Whitney Houston. And, yes... please, close this thread NOW.
You are very very bad people and you must be punished
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Then Anaconda.
heartland?
by far the worst?
with it's driving drum-pattern and relentless bass-line?
with it's mournful, anguished intro and haunting, intricate guitar parts?
with lyrics like "to die in dreams, dissolve and fade" and the trancelike effective repetition of the last unending chorus?

can't see it myself. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Ocean Moves
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The Damage Done Single (Year 6 music class)
When you don't see me (Presumably written by Michael Bolton)
Will I Dream (Chug Chug, Non-descript, Not very Sisters)

Stop knocking 'under the gun' and 1959, you
nutters; they're ace.
czuczu
Overbomber

DGP00666 wrote:The worst song is "I Will Always Love You", by Whitney Houston. And, yes... please, close this thread NOW.
Now, you should know that's a Dolly song about Burt and his 'tache! :)
bookish
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
Then Anaconda.
heartland?
by far the worst?
with it's driving drum-pattern and relentless bass-line?
with it's mournful, anguished intro and haunting, intricate guitar parts?
with lyrics like "to die in dreams, dissolve and fade" and the trancelike effective repetition of the last unending chorus?

can't see it myself. :von:
Well I do like the lyrics, but they can't make up for the song. IMHO. Its just that chorus :
"My heartland heartland heartland ... <repeat>"
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

you see, that's what i find odd: the reasons given for not liking the sisters, by people who don't like the sisters, are usually the things which i love about them, the things which -for me- set them apart.

and with the song Heartland it's it's use of "effective repetition" (as opposed to monotony) in that chorus that sets it apart for me. like listening to techno, it's very easy to only hear the overall impression rather than the actual content, leading to comments like "it all sounds the same" or "doesn't it go on?" in actuallity there are ever-changing patterns and subtly different layers of texture within the more obvious framework.

each to their own. and welcome to HL. 8)
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:you see, that's what i find odd: the reasons given for not liking the sisters, by people who don't like the sisters, are usually the things which i love about them, the things which -for me- set them apart.

and with the song Heartland it's it's use of "effective repetition" (as opposed to monotony) in that chorus that sets it apart for me. like listening to techno, it's very easy to only hear the overall impression rather than the actual content, leading to comments like "it all sounds the same" or "doesn't it go on?" in actuallity there are ever-changing patterns and subtly different layers of texture within the more obvious framework.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
Badlander
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:you see, that's what i find odd: the reasons given for not liking the sisters, by people who don't like the sisters, are usually the things which i love about them, the things which -for me- set them apart.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
But I still don't like techno (you should know by now). :innocent: 8)
skynet
Road Kill

As for "Heartland," I much prefer early live version,
1983-84, to original studio version. In particular
Heartland on the track of Detmold 84 is the best of all.

Heartland played during 1990 tour was a disappointment and I expect that more exciting Heartland will be performed live again during the 2006 tour.
Badlander
Overbomber

skynet wrote: Heartland played during 1990 tour was a disappointment and I expect that more exciting Heartland will be performed live again during the 2006 tour.
Don't expect too much. By the look of things, they aren't likely to resurrect a song that hasn't been played for 15 years. :(
bookish
Road Kill

and with the song Heartland it's it's use of "effective repetition" (as opposed to monotony) in that chorus that sets it apart for me. like listening to techno,
I'm a big fan of techno, but I still don't like HL.

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: and welcome to HL. 8)
Thanks!
GMC
Road Kill

I have some sympathy for the anti-Anaconda idea. I've never been blown away by it, but compared to Floorshow or The Damage Done, it at least sounds like a -song-

Heartland is brilliant. It's the Marxist (haha) guitar line na-na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaahh-nananananana-nah-naaaah. "I'm not a good guitarist but wheeeee this sounds neat!" The vocals are ok too.

Adrenochrome is probably the best of the early work (after Temple, of course). Nothing like writing a song about something that really matters in your life, I guess...
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
kazamel wrote:as said a few times, not one sisters song is bad, because... well, they're sisters songs. no explanation at hand or needed.
however, some or less good than others.
They're good because... they're good, period. Not just because there's TSOM written on the cover. Otherwise you can start calling yourself a fetishist. Which you have every right to be, but I'm not sure that was your real intention. :wink: :innocent:
if i wasn't a fetishist when it comes to the sisters, i'd settle for having falaa, floodland, vision thing, sgwbm and sbwbm in my collection. sad but true, i do have a *few* other sisters items. :wink:
Badlander wrote:

urmmm, it took me 15 minutes and reading through some other posts to get your remark :oops: *walking the streets of shame*
Badlander
Overbomber

kazamel wrote: if i wasn't a fetishist when it comes to the sisters, i'd settle for having falaa, floodland, vision thing, sgwbm and sbwbm in my collection. sad but true, i do have a *few* other sisters items. :wink:
Well some weird fellows genuinely like listening to bootlegs and unofficial releases in general. :innocent:
Does that make you a fetishist ? Not in my book. 8)
urmmm, it took me 15 minutes and reading through some other posts to get your remark :oops: *walking the streets of shame*
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It happens to the best of us. ;D :wink:
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
kazamel wrote: if i wasn't a fetishist when it comes to the sisters, i'd settle for having falaa, floodland, vision thing, sgwbm and sbwbm in my collection. sad but true, i do have a *few* other sisters items. :wink:
Well some weird fellows genuinely like listening to bootlegs and unofficial releases in general. :innocent:
Does that make you a fetishist ? Not in my book. 8)
:lol: i agree with you on that, although normal people probably wouldn't
but having the mcd, 7", 12" and occasional mexican release of one and the same recording smells like fetishism to me :D
Badlander
Overbomber

kazamel wrote: :lol: i agree with you on that, although normal people probably wouldn't
but having the mcd, 7", 12" and occasional mexican release of one and the same recording smells like fetishism to me :D
Normal people are boring. :roll:
I usually don't waste my time trying to figure out what "normal" means though. :lol:
I'm happy with one CD (for convenience) and one vinyl (for sound quality and for the nice cover) version. 8)
And erm... sometimes a little more.
skynet
Road Kill

Lucretia My Reflection:
Which do you like better? Live during 1990 tour or 2003
onwards.

Original studio version Lucretia is one of my favourites and extended version is tremendously great. So recent live Lucretia of slow version sounds totally different song. :-(
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I prefer the 7" or the album mix to the 12" of Lucretia. The 12" mix proves that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell