The Cult

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Ramone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The Cult huh? Now which bunch of Cults ar we getting, Would it be the 1980's retro Battle of wounded knee /Anti - Coca Cola Nation version with Astbury in his Woolworths finest face paint and Duffy's Gretesch White Falcon guitar and blonde "sigue sigue sputnik" hairdo Cult with Jamie Stewart and Nigel Preston ( who I'm sure is dead) or the Meeeeeeetaaaaaaaal "I wanna be Mick Jagger or Bon Scott no wait Steven Tyler " In his black leather pants, hand clapping and a'strutting n a'pouting version" with Billy " Look I can stand like this and look miserable or like this and look even more depressed" Duffy with his ever so lovley flowing blonde locks.

So either way it won't really be 'the Cult' it's just that the Doors thing never really worked, and no one wants to work with either Duffy or Astbury so the last resort was to 'reunite' and 'reform' the Cult. Bit of a con I suppose for real fans of the band -bit like seeing Guns n Roses with just Axl and Slash. It's either all or nothing for me. But it may be a giggle watching Astbury- who has to be close to 50 by now, trying his hardest to look ' relevant again' .
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
libby

Ramone wrote:The Cult huh? Now which bunch of Cults ar we getting,
Stop guessing, go see them and come back later ...
and tell me about the time you saw 'that Doors thing' :innocent:
Ramone

Why would I want to go and see the Cult ? If I want to go and watch a washed up wheezing tribute band I'll go to a pub and not have to pay over thirty quid and drink out of a plastic pint pot in the process.The Cult are an American Idol version of what rock stood for. They know it and anyone with any savvy knows it. No rock fan ever took them seriously. They where the Noseferatu of modern rock , And that's been cruel to Nosferatu!! As for me 'doing the Doors thing' Shame on you , Ms Libby, I was never old enough to appreciate the Doors 'live' I'm not THAT old, well not old enough to go and watch a band in the 1970's anyway- I would never go and see a band that would use Adtbury to tarnish their reputataion and memories of an iffluencial band, In such a shameful mannner

Sorry if you not a Ms by the way Libby - it's just that if your indeed a male with the name Libby, I'm both confused and very apologetic for maybe insulting you. Yo !

Gotta go..the Israelis are bombing innocent women and children again - ho hum, some things will never change I suppose.
"It was great that Kurt Cobain shot himself when he did..cos without that ,we'd have no Foo Fighters today" :Ramone, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever. November 2008
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Ramone so you don't like the Cult? :roll:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Ramone

It's not so much me not liking the Cult, sure they've made some 'catchy' tunes ( so catchy you swear you'd heard them somewhere before) It's more that I equate them to some one like the Darkness.They are a rock band, but you get the feeling there like a novelty act you get on a reality show. From his days in SDC to now, Astbury's always been a nob. And that will never change.

In away that many 'goths' couldn't take the Batcave (Alien Sex Fiend, Speciman) era bands seriously because they seemed to spend more time on their image than utilising any talent they may have, I see the Cult almost as a paradoy of what they first stood for. I accept no band can stop still and not change their musical direction and image; but from Resurrection Joe - to Love Removal machine it is a bit much to take in a very short space of time. Yes, bands do reinvent themselves from time to time. The Sisters went from Body and Soul to More in six years, but it was a slow transition. The Cult seemed to go away listen to some AC/DC and then ditch any roots they may of ever had, and alienate alot of people in the process.

But we've all had to suffer changeat some point in our lives; Hussey for instance. From cool, mysterious quiet guitarist to Pantomime Dame in one ill concieved Smash Hits cover shoot was..horrifying:)

I shall now leave my pet hate of Mr Astbury to wither and die. ;D
wild bill buttock

Er,well yes and no.
Up until Electric, Cult(Southern death, Death and The) were a f**king brilliant band,both live and on record.Only after Astbury decided he was an American rock star did it all go down the sh#tter.They were truly dreadful the last time I saw them(1992) but I'm still going as hopefully they have realised that they are The Cult and not f**king Aerosmith at long last!
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

I've heard the first concert played on this tour it was bl00dy good:
  • Lil Devil
    Sweet Soul Sister
    The Witch
    Peace Dog
    Revolution
    Spiritwalker
    In The Clouds
    Wonderland
    Brother Wolf Sister Moon
    Gone
    Rise
    Rain
    Fire Woman
    Wildflower
    War
    Edie
    Electric Ocean
    She Sells Sanctuary
    Love Removal Machine

:notworthy:
Ramone

Wild Bill !! the Cult in 1992?!! I was working at the NEC in Birmingham for a week doing the load in/ load outs and we had Skid Row / L.A Guns for two nights and they literally took the roof off the place. The third night we had the Cult - and to say it was the most limp wristed gay slice of Americana wannabe nonsense would almost be insulting to the population of San Francisco - they where awful. No stage prescene no bollocks when you compared them to a 'real' American rock act like Skid Row the previous nights. Your comment just reminded me of that awful night, and in the process have made my mind up not to go to Manchester to pay over the odds for 90 minutes of drivel. I owe you a pint dude :) many thanks,peace out Yo! ;D :lol: :D :P

Ok, that was my very last Astbury hating rant, honest injun!!
canon docre
Overbomber

Ramone wrote: Ok, that was my very last Astbury hating rant, honest injun!!
Pah!

Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

It's not Rocket Science, is it? If you don't fancy the current incarnation of The Cult, er... don't go and see 'em :wink:

Me? Can't wait :D
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Norman Hunter wrote:It's not Rocket Science, is it? If you don't fancy the current incarnation of The Cult, er... don't go and see 'em :wink:

Me? Can't wait :D
Too right, where's me Davey Crockett hat!!! :wink: :lol:
libby

For those who are interested ...
Some live clips from the gigs in Amsterdam and Tilburg.
Take a look. They're great! :notworthy:

www.myspace.com/thesonictemple
Mothra

Hey there

My first post, but having been lurking since the Astoria gig was announced around the turn of the year. So what, thats about 8 months of plucking up courage to type a message!?!?

Was wondering if anyone had more info on the 100 Club gig. Having missed out on tickets for the Brixton show (and not being keen on paying Ebay prices), this seems like too good an opportunity to miss.

Have been checking near on daily, but still that date looks blank on both the venue website and the Cult's page. I'd be very grateful to anyone who can give me (and anyone else on here) a tip off as to when tickets go on sale. It has the look of something rather special, and I'm guessing tickets are gonna fast.

Cheers

M
Spiggy's hat

Mothra wrote: Having missed out on tickets for the Brixton show (and not being keen on paying Ebay prices),
M
They've already sold out the Brixton Academy?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh, fair play to them. I had images of The Cult playing to half empty venues on this tour.
Give me one good reason
Rise&Reverberate
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Mothra wrote:Was wondering if anyone had more info on the 100 Club gig.
I'd be surprised if they are playing the 100 Club as the listings on their website suggest Tokyo Dragons are playing there on the 16th. Not much info about it around the Cult forums either.....just have to wait and see I guess.

BTW Welcome to HL Mothra :wink:
Pista
Cureboi

I managed to catch them back in July in Sopron (Volt festival).

Had seen them before in most of their guises & I think it was good to be stood so far away from them that I couldn't really see them (save a few juddery images on the video screens interspersed with MMS & SMS mesaages).
But, I could sure hear them & they sounded in top form (except for the balls up that was Edie Ciao Baby done acoustically).

I was a bit sceptical, but am glad to report that they are still worth it live.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Welcome, Mothra.

Beware of Gamera! ;)
smiscandlon
Overbomber

Dark wrote:Welcome, Mothra.

Beware of Gamera! ;)
анархия
Mothra

Dark wrote:Welcome, Mothra.

Beware of Gamera! ;)
Yeah, that Pesky turtle (confession - I had to Google Gamera. Even re-read some of the previous posts thinking that Gamera was the poster who really has it in for Ian Astbury, and that I was about to receive a barrage of abuse).

Thanks for the welcome and the replies anyway!!

100 Club is indeed host to the Tokyo Dragons on the proposed night. Hopefully that just means the Cult are playing somewhere else that night. I'll stick it on here if I hear anything first.

And yes, Brixton sold out surprisingly quick. Tickets going on ebay for around £90 a pair as far as I can see.

Cheers

M
Ocean Moves

Ramone wrote:bollocks when you compared them to a 'real' American rock act like Skid Row
Holy Moly. Now I've heard everything. Hi Ramone !
;D
Andie
Overbomber

Rise&Reverberate wrote:
Mothra wrote:Was wondering if anyone had more info on the 100 Club gig.
I'd be surprised if they are playing the 100 Club as the listings on their website suggest Tokyo Dragons are playing there on the 16th. Not much info about it around the Cult forums either.....just have to wait and see I guess.

BTW Welcome to HL Mothra :wink:
my understanding is that the 16th September gig was announced by accident...doesn't mean that it's not going ahead...just that it's not open to the punters like you and i...possible industry gig for a rumoured recording deal that the band are sourcing...who knows :innocent:
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
scotty
Overbomber

With just over a month 'till the London gig, who's coming?, where are we meeting?, who drinks what?...............
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Andie
Overbomber

scotty wrote:With just over a month 'till the London gig, who's coming?, where are we meeting?, who drinks what?...............
I'll e-mail ya when i get home...Covent Garden is booked tho :wink:
scotty
Overbomber

Burn wrote:
scotty wrote:With just over a month 'till the London gig, who's coming?, where are we meeting?, who drinks what?...............
We're in the Travel Lodge in Covent Garden & the flights are booked :D
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Andie
Overbomber

scotty wrote:
Burn wrote:
We're in the Travel Lodge in Covent Garden & the flights are booked :D
:notworthy: see ya there