Sisters played Suikerrock

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
242headhunter
Amphetamine Filth

The Belgian Press even liked TSOM
They were hot!

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... =G1P1UMVBC

(if I have some more time I will try to translate it)
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Elise wrote:Found some really nice pictures here ; http://forum.belgiumdigital.com/f42/sui ... 23431.html
Very cool pics! Nice find, Elise :notworthy:
dtsom wrote:looking in the net in a belgium newspaper(using google translater of course)

it says that on saturday there were 40.000 people

i don´t know if it´s correct- 40.000 is so much for this square ISN´T IT??
Well, I've been thinking about that too, Diego. The organisation claims 40 000 people came on Saturday, but not everybody entered the 'Grote Markt' aka the festival area. Loads of people just wandered through Tienen and each and every pub was packed :wink:
I'd say there was a crowd of about 25 000 people on the festival site... not that I counted heads or so ;D
Loads of people came for the Scabs, but even many more for our dearest Sisters! On days like that, it's pretty okay to be Belgian ;D

And the few reviews I read in the newspapers were all very postive too...

And Iz, I don't think it's me shouting :innocent:
in dub we trust
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Back home and that was one of the best Sisters gigs i've seen in a while. Lots of faces old and new didn't meet any other Heartlanders apart from our man from the Isle (pib) and a British guy going back to Leuven. Not too sure about the big split down the middle of the square and for some reason we ended up in front of Ben. The crowd were OK apart from some not being too keen on people being on shoulders, we perservered.
That's the best Andrew has sounded for a while, so lay off the fags.
We also turned up to see a reported Belgian punk band (or so someone said) and we were confronted with The Scabs!?! Quite an inappropriate name if i ever heard one. Very middle of the road, very good at what they do, but maybe they should change that name. Makes me want to go to Bulgaria, but that just isn't going to happen.

matt..

Robert - next time if there's a space you know what to do.
jherek
Road Kill

just got back home from belgium - we spent last nite sampling the local brews in brussels :D

tienen was the 21st sisters gig we've seen (22nd if you include the near meth experience) first one in 1990 - and i have to say it was one of the best.

although naturally an optimist about all things sisters, after reading the reviews from porto i was a little concerned. now i feel bad for ever doubting!

eldritch's voice was as good + strong as it's been in years, the new songs were played with real finesse, the samples coming from the doktor added depth + great to see the sisters really cutting it in front of such a large crowd.

hilights - almost everything. lucretia very powerful, the floods as always, return of capricorn/i didn't know i loved you... but of course Good Things. thought it was a new song at first, then it dawned on me it was Good things, but didn't truly believe until he sang the chorus!

then to top it all, i picked a copy of the himalaya release of temple of love 12 inch (black vinyl to go with my red copy) for 15 euros from a brussels record shop this morning
:notworthy:
_emma_
Overbomber

:D Hello. :D :D :D Life doesn't always seem like a pointless chaos, there are moments when everything clicks together into place. :notworthy: :D

The nearest opportunity is bound to happen in beautiful country Bulgaria, right? :D :D :D
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

_emma_ wrote:The nearest opportunity is bound to happen in beautiful country Bulgaria, right? :D :D :D
Are you coming? I doubt that it will be anywhere near Tienen standards, but it will still be a Sisters gig... :D
You can't fix stupid.
_emma_
Overbomber

Eva wrote:I doubt that it will be anywhere near Tienen standards, but it will still be a Sisters gig... :D
Well I don't know, for some reason whenever I decide to go, the gig turns out great. :P Which obviously means that I have to go to this one, no excuses. :lol:
_emma_
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:terrible what we'll accept these days
What's a "we"? :?
(a question I've been asking myself a lot recently while reading this discussion forum)
James Blast
Banned

just me then, I don't have friends "only people I know"
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Well, i could be one of them if Suikerrock wasn't that good. Sorry James, next time! Maybe Sisters in Siberia, 2012: a doll in a weel chair screaming "nnnn-n-nothing but the Good Things..."
guns & cars & accidents
James Blast
Banned

don't, I'm starting to like you
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
christophe
Overbomber

just had a talk with a friend of me who also was in Tienen but isn't a sister groupy as I am :oops:
he was glad to have seen them once, wasn't impressed at all though and can't understand we are so enthusiast about this gig.

I realise it is not because he has no taste.

But I still am damn happy about the gig and I don't give a fuck about what others say.
:notworthy: good things :notworthy: ;D
Another Shade of You.
_emma_
Overbomber

christophe wrote:just had a talk with a friend of me who also was in Tienen but isn't a sister groupy as I am :oops:
he was glad to have seen them once, wasn't impressed at all though and can't understand we are so enthusiast about this gig.

:lol:
Were you somewhere near the front and did you see the faces of the security guys? Now they did not have a clue what this is all about, the singer not wearing funky clothes, not even saying "good evening I love you let's rock" and then most of the crowd becoming backing singers for him in the correct moments throughout the gig with no "let's all sing along, come on I love you" to induce it. :notworthy:
Oh and the 3 local ladies standing next to me, taking photos of Ben and waving at him just as if he was the main star on stage. :lol:
christophe
Overbomber

hé is the star, but then again so is chris.
and I go for :von: anyway :innocent:

And finally I have my second (and last) video online.
The quality is really poor I have to say myself, but some good shots and you can hear how koen enjoys himself :P

Summer – Alice clicky
Another Shade of You.
My Dominion
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

http://www.mydominionnl.com
A fanwebsite !
Gent, Eindhoven and Lokeren
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Crikey, seems I'm a bit late to the party here! Just woke up after zombifying my way through work today :lol:

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Even I, with my faltering faith in the Sissies, have to admit that they absolutely kicked it on Saturday night. Possibly my best gig experience ever :eek: :D Certainly knocks the spots off previous Sisters gigs I've been to.

But of course, this could never be any more than a fantastic bonus. As ever, I was there for the people, and you all made the weekend for me :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy: :kiss: :notworthy:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Thanks for all the links! :notworthy:

Nice to read everybody's experiences that day. 8)
"as we walk on the floodland"
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

christophe wrote:just had a talk with a friend of me who also was in Tienen but isn't a sister groupy as I am :oops:

But I still am damn happy about the gig and I don't give a fuck about what others say.
:notworthy: good things :notworthy: ;D
My mum liked the gig :wink:
Amd so did the friend I brought, neither had listened to the Sisters before.
It's good to be back
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

My Dominion wrote:Image

More photo's to see on:
http://www.mydominionnl.com/tienen26072008.html
Hey - that was a nice idea
James Blast
Banned

christophe wrote:I realise it is not because he has no taste.
he saw Big Audio Dynamite play the Barras of a Glesga Fair Saturday?
boudicca wrote:What can I say that hasn't been said already? Even I, with my faltering faith in the Sissies
Sissies is bad, very bad! They are The Sisters Of Mercy or The Sisters, in some cases Sisters - not Sissies, The Girls or other demeaning coloquialisms. Please!
Tidal wrote:My mum liked the gig
is she single, sorry let me rephrase that, does she have big knorks?
~ Peter Steele
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

Dairy entry for my beloved heartland the people but also a special note to our *von* who without, there is no more The Sisters of Mercy…..

26-07-2008 ~ MB arrives in Leuven in Belgium giddy as hell to be seeing my internet friends that I love and of course that rock ‘n roll band that was going to show Belgium a thing or two! Leuven is beautiful it’s an amazing old town, a student town of Belgium. It’s clean and there's a vibe in that place that lives 24 hours a day without a doubt on a weekend. The older population working on a Saturday that called me schatje on a hot summer afternoon, after explaining on a map how to walk to my hotel sent merry me in the right direction was amazing! The walk on a busy Saturday afternoon, busy as hell but the atmosphere so amazing, I strolled after zig-zagging my way to the Inn where some of us stayed. YO! If anyone of you are the English gents that picked-up on ring tone of my phone and thought is was cool…please reveal yourselves. I checked in to drop bags and make my way back to central station to meet up with Claire, Andrew S, Z, and Louie to immediately spilt up after hugs, with me and Z catching the bus to get to RAF where Iz was. Indeed RAF you saw Holland arriving through the orange of Z that attracks HL’ers like flies... thank you gents for such a funny and relaxed afternoon with laughs and sad but good moments… RAF you’re pm didn’t work, nothing in my inbox but you forgot to fill in the subject tab if I remember correctly! Please resend me the Youtube fragment of Summer Sep. 2007, I need it babes! :kiss: :notworthy: I love you ald bitching bastard…but YOU can sing! doctoravalanche, girlfriend and friend, it was indeed a pleasure as always and in the company all just fitted! 8) :notworthy: Sorry I didn't get to see you at the gig or afterwards but our time was special time.

IZ & Zeno you guys were fantastic from the word go as to being with me to get me to and fro, with dressing up and my uttermost thanks to you! :kiss: :notworthy: De belgieche schatche g geef me een goed gevoel…samdevos…knuffel en dikke kus aan jou en krisje!

Arriving after a nightmare of parking a silver stunning car, we met up with christophe, Eva *hugs* Eggi and of course Planet Dave, Claire, Motz and dad, Ozpat and Wendy, StephanM, we got drinks and moved forward as a forum, left of the divide for security reasons where *von* and Chris would come to play. The Scabs were on and bless the public for them but it’s not my cup of coffee except for their last song that kicks a little bit of ass…

TSOM are to arrive so our way to right up front was not difficult after that. If dominion folk were divided right of us…..it’s a pity for you folk with regards to security so it seems but hey like you folk saw, HL still rules the world over dominion.
Right the action on stage was sound check to the point of hardcore when mics are been replaced with another, a double sound check so to see…Nurse to DocA to be seen checking it all out too….man it was so good to see you up front no smoke just you doing sound check… :notworthy: ;D

As you have read the gig was fuckingawesome and rock ‘n rolled! *von* in such a good mood and chris and ben having a ball and the audience singing along to be stunned into utter silence when listening….me too staggered for a moment when Good Things started….kinda hang on for the lyrics for a moment and then OMFG! Good Things…..wow…amazing.
After that it couldn’t go wrong the rest was so hyped after that…mind boggling but so awesome! The most important thing was the band was enjoying as a whole, *von* was singing and howling and dancing and that was such a pleasure to see and enjoy with him and all you folk as a crowd! It was out of this world so indeed Belgium seems to be good for our sissies and the folk there too! Until he hits South Africian soil but that’s a story to write for the future…

After the gig that had us all high, the natural high and all the posts I’ve read on this thread as to what *von* said..indeed and bless him! :lol: :notworthy: 8)
Koen, Indrek, jenzi, Christian, it was so good seeing you guys for hugs and hello on that high and the dj afterwards thanks for the toons that lead our HL group within a jig and then the walk back through the streets where we were loud searching for the cars….acting mum and arranging and then Z getting us sorted, off we went to the after party! It was so amazing as it happened but that a story for another thread as this post is just way to long….*giggles*

Seriously….what a gig! What a good feeling that hit the cosmos people, because that’s the HL effect within our walls. I now thank the sissies, because of them we are these weird internet people that form a family when together….rock ‘n roll style in black! :wink: And white and silver and orange and red and yellow and that’s my review folks! ;D

I love every single one of you in my life right now and that’s just a really good feeling!

~MB~
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

242headhunter wrote:The Belgian Press even liked TSOM
They were hot!

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail ... =G1P1UMVBC

(if I have some more time I will try to translate it)
"Hot: The Sisters of Mercy
Hot

TIENEN - According to the Suikerrock organization Andrew Eldritch and his Sisters of Mercy lured exclusive viewers from no less than 19 different countries. Although, there wasn't much to see for the black legion summoned on huge scale. Eldritch, his bassist, guitar player and drum computer refused to be filmed and, as if that wasn't bad enough, shrouded themselves in a thick layer of fog. When one sense is shut down, the other gets extra stimulation. For the visiting of The Sisters of Mercy this was especially true, as by delivering a tight gig they didn't disappoint their loyal fans."

Not optimally translated, sorry :( but you get the idea
Last edited by Tidal on 28 Jul 2008, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
It's good to be back
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

thanks - much better than google translation^^

bassist... haha ...no filming ...harr harr :wink:
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

MadameButterfly wrote:RAF you’re pm didn’t work, nothing in my inbox but you forgot to fill in the subject tab if I remember correctly! Please resend me the Youtube fragment of Summer Sep. 2007, I need it babes! :kiss: :notworthy:
PM sent, DEBS. ;)
techno-phobe
Road Kill

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster !

I know it's been said hundreds of times but Holy Moly, Good Things !!!!

As a lot of people said, it's gotta be one of my fav tracks by The Sisters and I figured the chances of hearing it live were about as high as Eldritch not smoking like a trooper all gig (Which I was also apparently wrong about too, lol)

Definately goes down as one of the memorable gigs I've seen by them and another song to chalk off the list to hear live ! It's gotta rate up there with hanging around at Pukkelpop and hearing Sister Ray in 92, what a class performance and still on my iPod regularily !

I think all they would have needed to do was play Adrenachrome and I'd have wet myself, collasped in a fit of over euphoria exposure, and shuffled off this mortal coil !

Also, to shoe horn a quick question in but have they ever played Adrenachrome since they started gigging again in 90 ?