09.04.2009 - London

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
lachert
Overbomber

7anthea7 wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
lachert wrote:lucifer over london... :roll: :roll: :roll:
sounds like the name of a sisters bootleg :lol:
Doesn't it just? :notworthy:
reserved by current '93, but who cares ;D for sure not bootleg makers :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Smallstone
Road Kill

Just got back - left early-ish. Ooooh dear - they're not very good live these days are they. Ouch! Fortified myself with a few beers beforehand - I thoroughly recomend the Junction bar and grill in Tufnell Park. Highlight of my evening was my pork belly with potato gratin and cabbage in a jus. Who'd have thunk it?! N
I won't bore thee all with even an attempt at a set list... Suffice to say it was:
a) not very loud
b) not as smokey or dry icey as has been known - this is a good thingk !
c) the two guitarists are rubbish!
d) I'm sure they played some songs I liked but due to the above - who knows!
e) I saw them last time at the Astoria and whilst this was marginally better... i.e. not the Astoria....
Ok - I didn't pay to get in so I don't have the added 'I've wasted X amount of money' depression - I did 'waste' my time and I paid for my dinner - so you know..... I'm out of pocket!! I can't even claim this on expenses!
Anyways shoot me down - go on... you're kidding yourself if you enjoyed this....sorry.
SOM suck now - give it up!
Francis
Overbomber

Smallstone wrote:SOM
Consider yourself shot.
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
lurch
Road Kill

Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.......
After loving this band for > 20 years, I got my first chance to see them live tonight in London at the Forum and I have to say that I left half way through out of disgust. After being 4th from the front and not being able to hear ANYTHING, I went to the back and still could not hear any lyrics. From expecting a sexy silky voice, I heard nothing of it and I'm afraid to say that Sisters of Mercy are just purely playing out their time - good luck to them but I will NOT be supporting such mediocrity!
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Francis wrote:
Smallstone wrote:SOM
Consider yourself shot.
Drawn and quartered.
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

lurch wrote:...expecting a sexy silky voice...
You what??? :eek:

Whatever his voice had been like over the years, that has never been an appropriate descriptive.

Who exactly have you been listening to that you thought were The Sisters?
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I had to miss this one (Don't ask - really just don't). :evil:
The first Sisters gig in London I've missed since 1990. :|

I felt sorry for sisters-pics who came all the way from Germany and got thrown out of the gig (before the band went on stage) for smoking!

I hear the setlist was the same as Leeds.
Last edited by Scardwel on 10 Apr 2009, 01:07, edited 2 times in total.
The Scene won't save you...
Francis
Overbomber

Two more that would've failed the test. :lol:
And you know that she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there.
Chalky
Road Kill

I took my 15 year old son to what was his eagerly anticipated first Sisters gig , but oh my, what a let down!!
We looked at each other after straining to hear anything for the first few songs and agreed it really was bad, gave it a couple more and then left in disgust. The sound, especially vocals, was dire!
Oh and I did have to pay, so I can add that to Smallstone's list.
Sisters - R.I.P...........
isolator42
Road Kill

Well, I had a great time - & I can't even blame it on being pissed. Just home after driving over 60 miles around the M25...

Not being able to tell what song it is until half way through it is par for the couse with the Sisters; I don't think I've ever been to a "good" sounding Sisters gig. If good sound is a huge issue for you I would honestly suggest going elsewhere for a decent night.

Thanks to the guy who noticed my "colourful" (for a Sisters) t-shirt as I wandered around downstairs before the start, but huge thanks to the very tall & very attractive lady who danced next to me, standing upstairs near the end of the gig.

I now like many hope there will be a release with all this good "new" material... although some of it is years old...
..."it's time for us to go"
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I am really choosy about the gigs I have to pay good money to see and i seriousy wished I had I had not payed for tonight - I could have have given my money to Amnesty International and have know the money would have been better spent. I was so lookng forward to seing thiem in Lima that I now don't care.
At the end of a World tour if they cant mix 2 gutars and a vocal with a backing track they should be shot. I had no expections to fullfill - They were just simply RUBBISH!! Farewell :evil:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Bollocks, the nay-sayers beat me again.

TONIGHT'S GIG WAS AMAZING.

I was 2 rows from the front and in the middle for most of the gig and whilst the sound wasn't as clear as the night before in Leeds (it sounded a tad muffled at times tonight), I think the performance was great and the crowd really got into it.

Whilst, for me, Leeds was a consistently good gig tonight had a few low points but there were a great deal of high points that made up for it. I also think, whilst in my opinion, Leeds was the better of the two, the band enjoyed themselves more tonight in London.

As far as I'm concerned, if you leave half way through a gig you can't really comment on the event as a whole and I certainly hope the negative comments don't put people off seeing this band.

I saw them two nights on the trot and I can gladly say that I've seen two brilliant Sisters gigs at a time where they are on top form.

f**k the nay-sayers, ROLL ON THE NEXT ONE!
jherek
Road Kill

ffs - what are the moaners like?!!! - lets get home and post negative feedback ASAP.

i've been watching the sisters live for nearly 19 years, and this is my 27th gig - the 5th of this tour (paris, warsaw, krakow, prague + london) - and i have to say tonight at the forum was one of the best ever.
really, i mean this.
vocals loud + clear, volume the highest i have heard on this tour.
sold out crowd was totally into the show + the band were really up for it.
flood II possibly the best single live performance by the sisters ever.
as my wife said - if you didn't enjoy this you are probably dead!

jesus loves the sisters :D
jherek
Road Kill

ffs - what are the moaners like?!!! - lets get home and post negative feedback ASAP.

i've been watching the sisters live for nearly 19 years, and this is my 27th gig - the 5th of this tour (paris, warsaw, krakow, prague + london) - and i have to say tonight at the forum was one of the best ever.
really, i mean this.
vocals loud + clear, volume the highest i have heard on this tour.
sold out crowd was totally into the show + the band were really up for it.
flood II possibly the best single live performance by the sisters ever.
as my wife said - if you didn't enjoy this you are probably dead!

jesus loves the sisters :D
vince
Road Kill

isolator42 wrote:Well, I had a great time - & I can't even blame it on being pissed. Just home after driving over 60 miles around the M25...

Not being able to tell what song it is until half way through it is par for the couse with the Sisters; I don't think I've ever been to a "good" sounding Sisters gig. If good sound is a huge issue for you I would honestly suggest going elsewhere for a decent night.
Thought I was going to be in the minority at having actually enjoyed it for a minute there. Miles better than the last time they played London and the crowd at the front seemed to mostly like it from where I was standing - 3 encores was a good effort. I agreed with the bloke next to me at the end that Vons voice has gone over the years, but lets face it, he's amusing himself rather than us, isn't he!

I still want them to come out to Kashmir and a fog of dry ice, it maybe 24 years ago but the image lives long.....

Top nite out from my point of view.
Andy Christ 666
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Chalky wrote:I took my 15 year old son to what was his eagerly anticipated first Sisters gig , but oh my, what a let down!!
We looked at each other after straining to hear anything for the first few songs and agreed it really was bad, gave it a couple more and then left in disgust. The sound, especially vocals, was dire!
Oh and I did have to pay, so I can add that to Smallstone's list.
Sisters - R.I.P...........
I can never understand why people join a forum just to say that they thought a gig was crap. :roll:
robertzombie wrote:As far as I'm concerned, if you leave half way through a gig you can't really comment on the event as a whole.

Yep, it's like watching 25 minutes of a film and leaving the cinema, for all you know it may have been the best film you've ever seen.

I personally would have loved to have gone to either gig, but unfotunatly it was'nt to be.

If you went and enjoyed it, good on ya, if you didnt enjoy it, just don't bother going to see 'em again. Simple.
Do I Look Like A People Person?
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Andy Christ 666 wrote:I can never understand why people join a forum just to say that they thought a gig was crap. :roll:

If you went and enjoyed it, good on ya, if you didnt enjoy it, just don't bother going to see 'em again. Simple.
Exactly. But apparently they must vent their spleen on someone, so if they can't slag the band off directly, they satisfy the urge here. I guess we're personally responsible for the quality of all Sisters' performances by default... :lol:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
isolator42
Road Kill

Andy Christ 666 wrote:If you went and enjoyed it, good on ya, if you didnt enjoy it, just don't bother going to see 'em again. Simple.
...you can almost see the meerkat saying this :)
Hits the nail on the head though. Roll on the next London gig...
Last edited by isolator42 on 10 Apr 2009, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
..."it's time for us to go"
robertzombie
Overbomber

THE SISTERS OF MERCY ARE THE GREATEST BAND THIS SIDE OF THE f**king GALAXY ;D

I spent far too much money on merchandise, but I'll be wearing it with more pride than ever before :notworthy:
Europa
Amphetamine Filth

Bit too sleepy now to post a really long reply as I'd like too...but the band were great tonight! I also went to Leeds and though that was my personal favourite (apart from the unbouncy crowd) London was cool.

It must have been sold out by the amount in there, I was standing right next to the right speaker and on some of Von's yelp / howl things it actually hurt my ears. The crowd seemed to be having a blast and Von was all smiles (although I think that was for someone he knew in the front row). My friend's girlfriend had never seen them before and wasn't expecting much and had a brilliant time. I honestly think some of these people go just to walk out early and say how crap the band are. You've bought a ticket why would you leave early even if you thought the sound was bad? It's a gig. Have a drink, chill out, enjoy the vibe.

Sorry to go on in the end but having actually seen two gigs on this tour now honestly the band are doing good.
Om began to feel the acute depression that steals over every realist in the presence of an optimist.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

Eldritch was loud and clear until he said something to Nurse and then he went down in the mix. Sound was more than loud enough until the encores when it got quieter. A couple of guitar mix failures, notably at the start of Romeo Down.

So what? :von:

It was a great gig. :notworthy:

I've heard bad things about London crowds but the place was packed, the mosh pit was good-naturedly violent and produced both female & male shoulder surfers, and although the crowd sung along loudest with Floodland-era tracks everything got a good reception. I really think the band appreciated being appreciated.

I was four from the front but near to one of the amp stacks, so I got my chest cavity vibrated nicely by the low notes. The music was still quiet enough to hear the details (there were some good details in the guitars and voice tonight) and I have enjoyed not having to wait six hours for a ringing in my ears to go (unlike my last Sisters gig at the NEC).

The new arrangements sounded much better than when I've -er- heard them before, Arms has settled in nicely, I was amazed how good both Floods sound live and by the enthusiastic reception that Giving Ground got. Great lightshow, just enough smoke. I got some t-shirts and some complements for the Sunshot one I was wearing. And now I'm rambling.

Rather than moving away from the amps if they are too quiet, I suggest moving towards them. Worked for me. :wink:
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

well... in short... it was pathetically quiet. Someone needs to turn those amps UP.

And the vocals? They were not that audible, and Eldo often misses the high notes these days. Not their best gig, but they were still 75% ace and 25% poor.
Bill Hicks
Amphetamine Filth
Location: stuck inside of my mobile with the Memphis blues again.

I have enjoyed not having to wait six hours for a ringing in my ears to go (unlike my last Sisters gig at the NEC).
You mean, that ringing in your ears in supposed to go away??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
silentNate

robm wrote:Rather than moving away from the amps if they are too quiet, I suggest moving towards them. Worked for me. :wink:
Very true- the mosh pit was great. Enjoyed the first couple of numbers by the support band who certainly had some comic appeal. Saw a young chap thrown out by six bouncers for standing on friends shoulders during the cracking version of Giving Ground and was suprised that they didn't give the young chap a good kicking when I later spoke to him by the smoking enclosure.
Was a tad disappointed in :von: vocals and found the gig quiet but the girls were on outstanding form- Chris guitar playing was great and Top Nite Out was well executed :notworthy:
Price of alcohol was shocking and I feel the staff should make more of an effort to recycle. Got a bunch of merchandise including a Lucretia t-shirt which I was grateful for.
People I was with thought the gig was great fun (also up near the front) though sadly my wife couldn't attend as not feeling well enough :(
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
silentNate

Forgot to state just how awesome the lightshow was :oops: :notworthy:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria