Worst Sisters songs.

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Put another down for pretty much all of VT. About the only one I can listen too more than once a year in Dr.Jeep for all the reasons people hated it in this thread.

I'm not knocking the quality of the album as the production is quite good and delivers what it promises and I'm glad that Von didn't come out with Floodland II.

It's a just got that AOR sound to it to me.
End of line.
scotty
Overbomber

spot778 wrote:Put another down for pretty much all of VT.
+ 1.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

markfiend wrote:I prefer the 7" or the album mix to the 12" of Lucretia. The 12" mix proves that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.
The promo CD with the numerous mixes does begin to tax the nerves, but I still love it :D
You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go
James Blast
Banned

I was disappointed with VT when it came out, I have explained all this to Keith on a reasonably sober phone call. I came in at FALAA and dove back for the singles. I then played them, and apart from Shriekback, pretty much nothing else for what seemed like an eternity. I did the same with the Floodland era stuff.
Having almost totally dismissed VT, at the time and hardly playing it, I now really enjoy it and think that line-up really kicked some erse live.
I've played the early stuff too much and I've waited too long.

I'm still waiting... :cry:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

James Blast wrote:I was disappointed with VT when it came out, I have explained all this to Keith on a reasonably sober phone call. I came in at FALAA and dove back for the singles. I then played them, and apart from Shriekback, pretty much nothing else for what seemed like an eternity. I did the same with the Floodland era stuff.
Having almost totally dismissed VT, at the time and hardly playing it, I now really enjoy it and think that line-up really kicked some erse live.
I've played the early stuff too much and I've waited too long.

I'm still waiting... :cry:
s**t, me and Mr. Blast were separated at birth :lol: My story is almost exactly the same, although I was not quite as negative about VT initially.

Cheers, your blue brother, King Billy :wink:
Big Si
School Bully

BillyBadBreaks wrote:Cheers, your blue brother, King Billy :wink:
Prince William you mean, there's only one King Billy (and that's McNeill :wink: )

*sorry for derailing the topic :oops:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Big Si wrote:
BillyBadBreaks wrote:Cheers, your blue brother, King Billy :wink:
Prince William you mean, there's only one King Billy (and that's McNeill :wink: )

*sorry for derailing the topic :oops:
:notworthy:

PS Since when have I ever stayed in topic? :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

BillyBadBreaks wrote:[Cheers, your blue brother, King Billy :wink:
yir most welcome
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

and .... umm .... the remix of TOL shoulda just had Ofra Haza on vocals but that's just me I find her haunting on the song and want more !

Granted it would've been a cover rather a TSOM song but still ...
End of line.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

There was a B side to Dominion, think it was Ozymandias, basically Dominion played backwards.
Listened to it once straight through but never got the joke...........
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There are also extra drums in Ozymandias. Play it backwards and it becomes apparent.
wild bill buttock
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Every thing apart from "Under the gun" and "we are the same Susanne" after "Floodland" is complete sub metal AOR cock.Sorry folks but honest to god I'd have a lot more respect for Eldritch and his tunes had he gone solo in 1986 and let Hussey get on with digging his own grave with "The Sisterhood".Perhaps then we wouldn't have to keep dredging up this Goth or not goth cobblers.
Ask any rock fan to name a goth band and 9/10 times the answer is Sisters of mercy.The media thinks they're goth,95% of the people who go to see them live are either goths,ex-goths or wannabe goths.If you don't wanna be called a goth then don't call yourself The sisters of mercy.Does anyone seriously still think Pete Murphy is a goth and expect him to play "Bela" live?No because he doesn't call himself "Bauhaus" does he?
The last twice I've seen the Sisters live,Eldritch has shown nothing but utter contempt for the bands pre 86 material and even more for his core fans.I'll never venture near another Sisters of mercy show again and this is a tragedy as they were the most inspiring band on the planet.
Its time to bite the bullet,In his struggle to sound contemporary ,Von has alienated his core fans,in the current guise the Sisters can never be big again.Someone mentioned "The Merry Thoughts" and crap plagerists they may well be,but they sell bucketloads of albums as do other Sisters copyists(Love like blood,Garden of delight,69 eyes,type O neg)and why?because they sound like pre Vision thing Sisters(or at least they try but fail dismally).
Either they are the Sisters of Mercy in which case a bit of effort to sound like the Sisters would be appreciated or its Andrew Eldritch solo and in the latter case good luck to him at least then he could get a record company that won't expect him to do "Floodland 2",get away from his hated "goth" labelling,do what he wants and gain the respect again from stupid old goths like me.
The photographs of God I bought have almost faded away
Badlander
Overbomber

Oh no, somebody revived HL's worst thread ! :urff:
wild bill buttock wrote:The media thinks they're goth
The medias are wrong.
If you don't wanna be called a goth then don't call yourself The sisters of mercy.
At what point did Leonard Cohen turn goth ? :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
wild bill buttock

Cohen wears black and is a miserable bastard,that is the two main criteria surely?And so was Johnny Cash and he covered a NIN song(better than Reznor did it).Goth as goth can be.And so are Westlife.
Badlander
Overbomber

The king of goth. :innocent: :lol:
What does goth mean anyway ? :roll:

*coat*

Leonard Cohen isn't miserable. You were misinformed.
Last edited by Badlander on 31 Mar 2006, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
aims
Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:Does anyone seriously still think Pete Murphy is a goth and expect him to play "Bela" live?No because he doesn't call himself "Bauhaus" does he?
Then who the fcuk was I watching in Manchester last month? :eek:
wild bill buttock

Bauhaus?Bloody brilliant they were too.I meant Pete Murphy solo.
BillyBadBreaks
Fat Forgetful Bastard

Badlander wrote:Oh no, somebody revived HL's worst thread ! :urff:
Here, here :notworthy:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Badlander wrote:The king of goth. :innocent: :lol:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy.s**t. :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
James Blast
Banned

is Old Laughin' Len checkin' the family jewels in that pic?
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:is Old Laughin' Len checkin' the family jewels in that pic?
Looks like. :innocent:
Tight, ain't it ? :roll:
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Worst songs, excluding demo and live recordings:-

Anaconda, improved with age but I'm still not a fan of it

Ozymandias - what a cop out that was, doing a song backwards

Temple Of Love (with Ofra Haza) - I don't like her voice and was a slight case of cashing in without giving us a new song

As for the newer songs that have only been done live: - Come Together is a bit limp-wristed and that Andrews' Sisters cover was s**t. Stop Dragging My Heart Around was truely awful on the bootlegs I've heard. Almost makes Patricia Morrison sond like a singer (only kidding!)
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
mh
Above the Chemist

I'd always vote for the extended version of the original Temple of Love here. That song works best as a short sharp shock, and by the time the drums come in again it's already done it's business and said everything it had to say. Totally not necessary.

Aside from that, and some of the obvious filler-class material on latter B sides, Under The Gun is the only one I wouldn't mind never hearing again, although it is miles better in it's live incarnation.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Worst Sisters song ever? That's a hard question. There are no rubbish Sisters songs, but some are less stonking gonzo amphetamine filth than others. I think "Temple Of Love" is overplayed and cliched. But "Blood Money", "Untitled", "Sandstorm", and "Under The Gun" get less rotation than others.

Hang on. "Ozymandius". That's awful.
robertzombie
Overbomber

:eek: Blood Money is brilliant!