EURO 2008

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Russia it is then. This could be fun. Wonder if Guus would have to sell his house again if he loses (in-joke - sorry). ;)
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Russia played well, not sure how much they can improve though and their goalie doesn't like catching the ball. I agree with Euphoria that some teams get better. Really can't pick out a winner at the moment but still gunning for Croatia, or Turkey ;D , they were the mighty the other night :notworthy:

Portugal v Germany should rock 8)
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

disagree, it will be slight dull and boring game. i expect lack of dynamic and action, especially from Germany.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:disagree, it will be slight dull and boring game. i expect lack of dynamic and action, especially from Germany.
Ballacks ;D
To not know and to ask a question is a moment of embarrassment; to not know and not ask is a lifetime of shame.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

So Holland - Russia it is then. I expect a very entertaining game.
I hope Holland will go through to the semi ofcourse.
Around 150,000 Dutch fans are expected to visit Basel on Saturday! :eek:
Where is this ending.....:D
"as we walk on the floodland"
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote: Where is this ending.....:D
In Vienna on the 26th :wink: :P
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

in Amsterdam with the cup :D :wink:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

It might end there indeed but one also needs luck. It is not enough to play the best soccer.

Today the child (born yesterday after 30 weeks) of one of our key defenders, Bouhlarouz, died.... :eek: :(
Hope he and his wife find the strenght and support needed.

It has a big impact also on the team.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

so i was wrong, again
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Germany really deserve gold if they go on like this. Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Podolski...what a team!
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

It's wide open at the moment, the Germans were great and the Dutch haven't played against a decent team yet.

Bartek, if you want the Dutch to win then stop supporting them :P :P :wink: :wink: :lol:
eotunun
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:Germany really deserve gold if they go on like this. Ballack, Schweinsteiger, Podolski...what a team!
:eek:
Please! No! The "fans" will go bonkers! The daily noise parade down in the street is enough already. I really hoped they'd lose today, so that f*cking noise would get less. :evil:
There is shadow under this red rock
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

eotunun wrote: :eek:
Please! No! The "fans" will go bonkers! The daily noise parade down in the street is enough already. I really hoped they'd lose today, so that f*cking noise would get less. :evil:
Haha! I'm sure you would like a turkish victory tomorrow, so you can hear what REAL noise is like at the semi final :D
eotunun
Overbomber

euphoria wrote:
eotunun wrote: :eek:
Haha! I'm sure you would like a turkish victory tomorrow, so you can hear what REAL noise is like at the semi final :D
Believe me, I had enough of the turkish euphoria, living immediately next to the B8 in a town with a rather big turkish community. We had our little clash Turks vs. Police already.
There is shadow under this red rock
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Almiche V wrote: the Dutch haven't played against a decent team yet.
:eek: So how would you qualify Italy and France?! Go figure! :roll:

The Germans were lucky with their group so I would not say they they deserve gold after one good match. Though Germany was better the third goal was a foul in a stage of the game that Portugal was about to score
2-2.

"What a team"? I would say it was the first decent team the Germans play against.

The ones who look closer might have noticed that Germany changed their tactics from 4:4:2 to two defenisive and three forward midfielders which obviously has worked. Joachim Löw has watched the Dutch very well.... :lol:

Besides all that I would love a Germany - Holland finals.... :D
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

eotunun wrote:We had our little clash Turks vs. Police already.
Don't worry - I'm sure England will get the blame :roll:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Ozpat wrote: :eek: So how would you qualify Italy and France?! Go figure! :roll:
:lol: :lol: You think France played well in this tournament do you? They drew with Romania and lost to Italy and Holland. Italy could also only manage a draw with Romania and were lucky to get that. They beat the French because as usual the Italians start tournments badly then improve after a couple of games. Both teams were disorganised and not playing as a team, France especially were off the pace with too many old faces playing. Time for you to "go figure" and smell the coffee :roll: :roll: :lol:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Almiche V wrote:
Ozpat wrote: :eek: So how would you qualify Italy and France?! Go figure! :roll:
:lol: :lol: You think France played well in this tournament do you? They drew with Romania and lost to Italy and Holland. Italy could also only manage a draw with Romania and were lucky to get that. They beat the French because as usual the Italians start tournments badly then improve after a couple of games. Both teams were disorganised and not playing as a team, France especially were off the pace with too many old faces playing. Time for you to "go figure" and smell the coffee :roll: :roll: :lol:
Fact: France and Italy are the numbers one and two of the last World Cup.
Fact: High Rankings in the FIFA list.
Fact: France played not bad at all against the Dutch. Just only every mistake was punished. Their match against Italy was a joke as the ref decided it with giving a red card. Besides that they had no luck as their best player was out soon (Ribery).
Fact: You are right about the TEAM thing but they have such superb players that they win games because of individual qualities. The Dutch had to work hard to beat Italy and France. They will have to work hard to beat any other team as well. Italy start tournaments badly? Cannot remember they got beaten with 3-0 in a first tournament game.

But yeah, I guess Group C has been the weakest of all. Germany for example would have wished to swap with the Duch! :lol: :lol:
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Well, much of France's statistics are thanks to Zidane of course. A great team, but they are very old now. Ribery could maybe maybe have saved them, yes.

Anything can happen in football, Greece could win the Euro 2004 and certainly for example Croatia can win the Euro 2008 if they play well. BUT...there are simply bells ringing in my ears from earlier chants of "Well THIS time it's time for the Portuguese/the Dutch/even the English to get the gold", but what usually happens in the end is that teams like Germany and Italy, or France when they had Zidane, grow along the way (Italy by the way played 1-1 against the US in their group and later won the gold in 2006...very typically Italian, do what it takes and -nothing- more). I can bet that that there is no one Dutch player who would like Italy to beat Spain, because IF Italy still is hungry for gold so soon after 2006, the Dutch will face a very different team in the semi final than they did in group C.

I'm not saying it will happen this year, just that it is what usually has happened earlier under the same circumstances we have now.
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

FIFA rankings :lol: :lol: England are 9th after beating Trinidad and Tobago but we couldn't qualify for Euro 2008. Romania did but are ranked 12th. So I don't trust statistics as you don't get the full story. And the FACT is that France are out so they're not a decent team, while Italy weren't but are improving.

Anyway, Croatia v Turkey should be fun. I wonder what Bartek predicts :wink:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

win for:
Croatia
Turkey
in full time
or
penalties
:lol:

cannot say anything coz i seen only a fragment of their - Croatia- games against Germany and Poland.
anyhow Turkey will win, if you know what i mean :wink:
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Bartek wrote:win for:
Croatia
Turkey
in full time
or
penalties
:lol:

cannot say anything coz i seen only a fragment of their - Croatia- games against Germany and Poland.
anyhow Turkey will win, if you know what i mean :wink:
:lol: You could be right. It'll be a game of two halves and the team who scores the most will win - probably.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

disappoint, disappoint me as hell. :x

poor eotunun
Almiche V
Slight Overbomber

Bloody awful game until the last few minutes and then :eek: Is a shame to settle a match on penalties, think i prefer golden goals.

I keep seeing comments associating the Croatians with nazism. What's that all about?
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Getting nervous now....