09.04.2009 - London

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Robert P.
Road Kill

Francis wrote:
Smallstone wrote:SOM
Consider yourself shot.
*peng* :lol:

..maybe that would help..
Gegenwind hoch 10!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

very nice another reviews that has completely agreed statement.... choose your own.
_emma_
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:I had to miss this one (Don't ask - really just don't). :evil:
Do you realise that you missed the gig because of the assholes who bought tickets (not only for themselves but also their teenage kids) only to walk out of the show after the first couple of songs? :evil:
I felt sorry for sisters-pics who came all the way from Germany and got thrown out of the gig (before the band went on stage) for smoking!
Oh f**k f**k f**k.
How cruel is that!
I understand the security making you put down the cigarette immediately, but to throw people out, thats's just so wrong!
People like sisters-pics, in particular. :urff:
I feel for both of you guys! :(
Last edited by _emma_ on 10 Apr 2009, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Chalky
Road Kill

I first saw the Sisters at the Futurama Festival in 1981 and have since been to 20+ gigs, so I have seen just about every incarnation. I am sorry, but last night was the worst performance I have seen. I would rather remember them for performances like The Albert Hall, the '84/'85 tours etc.
I still love The Sisters, but for what they were, not what they are now!
Oh - cheers for the a-hole comment! As I said, the gig was eagerly anticipated and he dressed up for the occasion, but sadly the performance was below par and he was bitterly disappointed.
Doktor Gott
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Ewww.. I feel ruff for all good reasons..

Sound was a bit lame at the start and i had the horrid feeling it was going to be a little lacklustre.. however.. things seemed to really kick off round about the time of Dominion and when the vocals came through it did seem to get quite tasty.. (though I did mention some people that it at times felt like that it was the audience singing rather than Von. :/ )

All in though, not bad show.. Energy levels were pretty good considering what they've supposedly been through.. if they can get that damn mix sorted out I would be more than happy to repeat the experience to say the least...

and seriously can't believe that some people were ejected for smoking.. some of us were as audacious to indulge in some staubiges vergnügen just prior to the arrival of band on stage. adding to the pretty colours.. :P
Last edited by Doktor Gott on 10 Apr 2009, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
I give you the finger but you want the whole hand...
------------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/gottdammerung/galleries
lachert
Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:I had to miss this one (Don't ask - really just don't). :evil:
The first Sisters gig in London I've missed since 1990. :|

I felt sorry for sisters-pics who came all the way from Germany and got thrown out of the gig (before the band went on stage) for smoking!

I hear the setlist was the same as Leeds.
looks that you guys must feel like i do in 2005 when i was in vien just to listen concert from outside venue and when i was late 5 minutes on meraluna when festival was over around 10pm :?
long live rock'n'roll
Moakahontas
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

lachert wrote:... and when i was late 5 minutes on meraluna when festival was over around 10pm :?

..and that was a really good gig.. :roll:
miprs4
Amphetamine Filth

Hi

This is my first post on here... Been a live music fan for a long while and of course a sisters fan...

I thought the show last night was highly variable to say the least, and certainly not the best show I have ever seen them play...

Some great points some low points....

anyway...

Pics here:-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 71ab7d983d

(should work even if your not a user)

Vids being uploaded over the next few hours... (2 up already 3 more to be uploaded)

http://www.youtube.com/user/mipevo6

Various vids from the last couple of years up there...
Cheers

MIP
richmagpies
Road Kill

well I thought it was great last night, venue packed, great light show, loud enough for me, miles better than the last london gig....roll on the next one! 8)
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Yet again those that didn't like it get lambasted, it's rather sad folks :cry:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
miprs4
Amphetamine Filth

I didn't say it was bad btw.... Just variable quality :)
Cheers

MIP
IceAxe
Road Kill

Hi all,

my first post here - be gentle!

After twenty years, I finally got to see the Sisters! I was down in the mosh-pit about halfway back. My first observation is that Sisters fans tend to be on the tall side, and tend to always be in front of wherever I stand. When the Sisters emerged from the dry ice it was kinda hard to see them, but the atmosphere was great. Unfortunately the dry ice was kept fully topped up throughout, so all in all I still feel like I haven't seen the Sisters as such.
The sound? Well I was hugely disappointed. The throbbing Doktor Avalanche was sweating his little circuits out no doubt, and the deep bass notes were felt more than heard. But where were the guitars, and more importantly where was Mr. Eldritch's mournful and haunting voice? At first I genuinely thought there was a technical fault and that it would improve, but it didn't :(
I'm glad I went though because the atmosphere was great, and you couldn't move in the place. I thought the venue was OK.
And the support band, GoldBlade(?) were great. I'm going to check them out. Good honest to goodness anthemic punk with lots of energy and immediate appeal.
webcuts
Road Kill

Review of London show at a site I edit (Webcuts). Includes photo. Harsh but fair...

"...The Sisters of Mercy these days are a curious trio, Andrew Eldritch flanked by two younger guitarists, both of them hammering out metallic chords while a programmed rhythm section, once a drum machine known as Doktor Avalanche does the rest. For an otherwise new-comer to the current Sisters of Mercy stage show, this reliance on technology and an almost repetitive, unchanging guitar sound turns what was once an imposing and impenetrable act into a near covers band - just add smoke, Eldritch and water."
streamline
Slight Overbomber

Great gig.
Much better than the Astoria in 2006. :lol:

Support band was great - nice for a support band to contribute to the experience for a change!

Me and the missus were on the rail at the left of the stage in front of the speakers. I am pleased to report that my ears are still ringing! No volume problems where we were standing. The mix was good, but improved further when the fat security guard moved away from the front of one of the speakers - (note to sound man - put speaker on stands!).
Smoke level was just about perfect - nice to see the band having a good time - the crowd fed on that and the band fed on the crowd.

I really like the energy that Ben and Chris bring to the show - they bounce around like rabid kittens whilst :von: smiles at their antics. They do play the Sisters stuff in a completely different style to anyone before. They are a different band to the band on record, on tour in the 90s and even playing differently to how they did things in 2006.

And I love it! A good live experience.

Nice to meet up with the usual suspects (Rob, Maisey, Matt, Scardey - sorry you didn't get in) as well as some new faces - especially Zeno and Jenzi :notworthy: :notworthy:

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
_emma_
Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Yet again those that didn't like it get lambasted, it's rather sad folks :cry:
In my case it's not those that didn't like it, but those whose sole reason to register here is to lambast the band in their first post.
But yeah, OK, I can apologise why not, it's probably just my flying phobia frustration taking its toll. :|
robertzombie
Overbomber

streamline wrote:
Me and the missus were on the rail at the left of the stage in front of the speakers. I am pleased to report that my ears are still ringing! No volume problems where we were standing.
I was in the middle and my ears are still ringing! No volume problems at all! :D

One thing I did remember this morning: even though (in my opinion) the sound was fine, when I went on Maisey's shoulders for Susanne the sound instantly became even better. The venue has these odd curved speakers and when on someone's shoulders you become level with the largest part of the speakers (hope that makes sense). I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who was in the seating area on what they thought of the sound.
Vision
Amphetamine Filth

Morning chaps!

I loved it. I've been told that the sound for the Sisters at the Forum has a record of being a bit peculiar but I don't care :D.

I danced. (Badly)

I sang. (Badly)

Afterwards, when waiting for bloke to get our stuff, there were 2 guys nearby whose conversation was a bit "Ask her then!" - if you were referring to me, and were going to ask if it was me, then yes it was. Pawprints up the arm, black/purple dress with buckles and a lot of cleavage, yup, definatly me. I even came armed with a pen to write my email address on the hands of any eligible gents but they were all taken. Curses.

robertzombie..did you half fall off the shoulders you were on? I think I saw you climb up and giggled a bit (assuming you were the bloke, not the two ladies that shoulderclimbed).

But yes. I had an *ace* time! I'll be back for the next London gig :D
Dr. Moody
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Enjoyed the show last night, it was definitely the best performance I've seen from the current incarnation of the band, sound was great where I was standing if a little low. Von seemed to enjoy himself and there was a great party atmosphere around This Corrosion. Not as good as some of the Forum shows I've seen in the past but so what. The voice has improved a lot too.
Oh and the lights were absolutely great , mesmerising !
Now can someone kidnap them and put em in a recording studio please.

;D
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

weebleswobble wrote:Yet again those that didn't like it get lambasted, it's rather sad folks :cry:
You got there before me in saying it!

At the end of the day, its people who are new to The Sisters or new to the live show nowadays that will gauge whether this band continue to play or not. Its alright a few hundred rabid nutjobs like us always going & loving it (Leeds gig was poor to me, yet I still loved it) but a few hundred won't sell out venues in years to come. Newbies posting reviews saying they thought it was sh*t is just about the only non biased reviews we are gonna get, & I for one welcome them & their (similar) opinions. 8)

Happy for those that enjoyed London & hope the peeps that didn't will give The Sissies another chance next time. 8)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
robm
Amphetamine Filth

The crowd was an amazing mix of ages and styles but the people wearing m*****n t-shirts were just trolling. :wink:

At one point I couldn't see the band through all the waving arms and I had to watch Eldritch on the screens of the digital cameras people were holding up. Which felt somehow right.

Was the setlist the same as Leeds?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

silentNate wrote:Saw a young chap thrown out by six bouncers for standing on friends shoulders during the cracking version of Giving Ground and was suprised that they didn't give the young chap a good kicking when I later spoke to him by the smoking enclosure.(
BASTURD :evil: :wink:

What a great couiple of nights - I'm with robertzombie on all counts. Sound was fine at both gigs - Leeds slightly better sound, London was a slightly better crowd - both great gigs for different reasons.

Enjoyed Goldblade a lot even though they aren't my musical cup of tea normally.

As Silentnate pointed out I got kicked out of the venue for making a couple of harmless pyramids. I decided to go hang out the stage door and who'd I meet? GOLDBLADE :D. The very nice man tthat plays guitar guitar gifted me with his AAA pass and I got back in the gig via the backstage door :D :D :D

What an amazing couple of gigs. This is why I travelled to both and this is why I go watch the bands I love in the first place. :notworthy:

Still feeling great 8)
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Maisey wrote:As Silentnate pointed out I got kicked out of the venue for making a couple of harmless pyramids. I decided to go hang out the stage door and who'd I meet? GOLDBLADE :D. The very nice man tthat plays guitar guitar gifted me with his AAA pass and I got back in the gig via the backstage door :D :D :D
the smaller one with the greasy quiff (johnny) or the big chap?
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
miprs4
Amphetamine Filth

_emma_ wrote:
In my case it's not those that didn't like it, but those whose sole reason to register here is to lambast the band in their first post.
But yeah, OK, I can apologise why not, it's probably just my flying phobia frustration taking its toll. :|
Fair comment...

I registered to share the vids for the people that couldn't make it...

Or

For the people who did make to watch and think... "I was there" :-)

You can tell from my youtube page how many shows I see so I would like to think I know a good show when I see one.. This wasn't the best show ever... But it certainly wasn't the worst and overall I was very glad I went, and I would go again :-)
Cheers

MIP
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

The one who was on the right of the stage from the audience perspective.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Maisey wrote:The one who was on the right of the stage from the audience perspective.

johnny?

i'll say thanks next time i see him.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?