Vent Your Spleen

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Five minute interview with Dawkins:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8049711.stm
Interesting stuff- shame Dawkins doesn't seem to talk about genetics anymore as the God Delusion stuff is getting a little dull...
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I don't suppose he can help what the interviewer asks him.

I was just shocked and astounded to see how strident, shrill, unreasonable, arrogant, self-important... etc. he was. :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DeWinter

sultan2075 wrote:
DeWinter wrote:(Can anyone explain why the Government is supporting the automobile industry with our tax money? Don't cars pollute an awful lot? Surely we want less of it so people use public transport?)
Wish I could explain that one. :|
Power: in this case, increased regulatory power over a productive sector of the economy, and many of the people employed therein. See: Obama, Barack.
[/quote]

Can you really call a bankrupt industry productive? For years they've been churning out more cars than we need relying on planned obsolescence. In this country we're trying to get people to buy cars they don't need whilst scrapping their perfectly roadworthy old ones. Definately not enviromentally friendly.
I suppose you'e right, it's being done to create a voting base, but it certainly isn't sustainable. We don't need, and can't afford what they're building.
I think it's the mixed messages from Government that make people less inclined to believe. I'm not too sure where I stand personally. Even if GW is a naturally occurring event, we don't need to be lending a helping hand to it.
DeWinter

markfiend wrote:I don't suppose he can help what the interviewer asks him.

I was just shocked and astounded to see how strident, shrill, unreasonable, arrogant, self-important... etc. he was. :roll:
He was reasonable and quite likable. That'll teach me to just read the papers and not watch things I suppose.. :|
Interviewer was a bit bland though.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I was just shocked and astounded to see how strident, shrill, unreasonable, arrogant, self-important... etc. he was. :roll:
DeWinter wrote:He was reasonable and quite likable.
Well, that certainly explains a lot, dunnit?... :roll:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We could do with <sarcasm> tags on the Internet.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:I was just shocked and astounded to see how strident, shrill, unreasonable, arrogant, self-important... etc. he was. :roll:
I never said he was shrill.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
I never said he was shrill.
No, but other people (not necessarily on HL) have.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Maybe he was doing helium experiments that day.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:
—Bertrand Russell