"New" Box-Set

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
taylor
Slight Overbomber

pretty nice ? :evil: :lol:
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:So for the next step we should all put damning reviews on Amazon. :twisted: Mine's gone up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending
Very to the point review. Thank you! Actually I "needed" FALAA and Floodland on CD, but I was so outraged by the box set that I bought the Rhino reissues instead. From your review I guess I should have gotten the Merciful Release box set, but I didn't know it existed.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sita wrote:
mh wrote:So for the next step we should all put damning reviews on Amazon. :twisted: Mine's gone up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending
Very to the point review. Thank you! Actually I "needed" FALAA and Floodland on CD, but I was so outraged by the box set that I bought the Rhino reissues instead. From your review I guess I should have gotten the Merciful Release box set, but I didn't know it existed.
Excellent choice to buy the Rhino's instead. :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Sita

Thank you Ozpat for reassurance :notworthy:
I recall reading Eldritch wasn't satisfied with some reissue, reedition or remastering, probably in one of the interviews here in the galleries. But I could be just confused. Too much to read here for a newbie :lol:

Well, for now I am happy with my buys! Especially the additional tracks.
despair
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:I recall reading Eldritch wasn't satisfied with some reissue, reedition or remastering, probably in one of the interviews here in the galleries.
I believe his main problem was that he didn't get any money from them.
Sita

despair wrote:
Sita wrote:I recall reading Eldritch wasn't satisfied with some reissue, reedition or remastering, probably in one of the interviews here in the galleries.
:eek:
Really? That's horrible, he should.
Is it true or just an exaggeration?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

As far as we know, it's true.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
radiojamaica
Overbomber

despair wrote:
Didn't he say something like "I would've never let that pass" when adressing the Visioin Thing spelling error and that skipping during Something Fast :innocent:

Still, those Rhino reissues were really great! :D
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

despair wrote:
He did, a long time ago after selling the back catalogue. :wink:
Sita

Ozpat wrote: He did, a long time ago after selling the back catalogue. :wink:
Now it makes more sense. I hope he still owns the royalties to the songs though. (Does that make sense? I mean like for when Temple Of Love is on the Dior Homme website right now.)

So is everyone saying there are typos in the Vision Thing reissue, and a mistake in one of the songs? Is the Merciful Release box set better then?

Sorry for bugging :oops:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the original issue of rhino's remastered vision thing had a typo on the spine of the sleeve ("visioin thing") and the live version of "something fast" skipped

they fixed it on subsequent versions... i guess if you bought it now you'd probably get the fixed version (check the spine of the cd case!)

the rhino remasters of falaa & floodland were fine.

regardless of typos etc, the rhino remasters are still better than any of the other versions/rereleases/box sets... superior sound quality (i guess), extra tracks, extra artwork & sleeve notes 8)

we even get a name check in the VT notes ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Sita wrote:
Ozpat wrote: He did, a long time ago after selling the back catalogue. :wink:
Now it makes more sense. I hope he still owns the royalties to the songs though. (Does that make sense? I mean like for when Temple Of Love is on the Dior Homme website right now.)

So is everyone saying there are typos in the Vision Thing reissue, and a mistake in one of the songs? Is the Merciful Release box set better then?

Sorry for bugging :oops:
The first(?) pressing is named Visioin Thing. It contains (or some?) one or more errors in Ribbons and/or Something Fast (live bonus songs). My copy contains the typo but not the error(s) in the music. None of the mentioned problems in the boxed set. Buy it anyway; it's nice! :wink:

Royalties? Andrew makes money by touring these days.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i have a 'visioin' thing with a glitch in 'something fast' and a newer version with correct spelling and no errors.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
SeiBiT
Road Kill

I bought the box. It was too cheap to resist. I tought I can gift it to someone, maybe to my girlfriend. It's time to completely sister-ize her.

(Are that terrible the japanese mixes? My only cd edition of FALAA is the Rhino remaster...)
Being645
Wiki Wizard

SeiBiT wrote: (Are that terrible the japanese mixes? My only cd edition of FALAA is the Rhino remaster...)
They are. Somewhat fitting the Dior line ...
mh
Above the Chemist

I wouldn't quite call them "terrible"; for a long long time that CD was the only version of FALAA that a lot of people could have ever heard so at least it gave them something.

What it was however was vastly inferior to the original mixes. The main differences only really existed in a handful of songs, but they were enough to drag it down. The biggest disgrace was probably FALAA itself; what was once an insane beat-driven dance track got turned into a murky jangly wash.

Overall the sound quality was down too. The whole thing was quite a bit muddier than the originals which added to the life being sucked out of everything. Had a huge plodding bottom-end (so James Blast probably liked it! :twisted: ) with no clear definition. Even a rip from casette of the originals sounded better, it was that bad.

But it was like I said, it was the only FALAA most people could get so it served some kind of a purpose.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Yeah, I had that CD. I can't quite remember but was the mix of First and Last and Always on the cassette the same as that on the LP? The cassette was the format I first bought it on. Am supposing it was the same and haven't the cassete anymore to compare it so just thought I'd check. Slightly off topic I know but am getting old and memory dodgy! ;D
The Chancer Corporation
SeiBiT
Road Kill

mh wrote:I wouldn't quite call them "terrible"; for a long long time that CD was the only version of FALAA that a lot of people could have ever heard so at least it gave them something.

What it was however was vastly inferior to the original mixes. The main differences only really existed in a handful of songs, but they were enough to drag it down. The biggest disgrace was probably FALAA itself; what was once an insane beat-driven dance track got turned into a murky jangly wash.

Overall the sound quality was down too. The whole thing was quite a bit muddier than the originals which added to the life being sucked out of everything. Had a huge plodding bottom-end (so James Blast probably liked it! :twisted: ) with no clear definition. Even a rip from casette of the originals sounded better, it was that bad.

But it was like I said, it was the only FALAA most people could get so it served some kind of a purpose.
Urgh. Now i'm curious... :lol: They're by A.E. so it's a good reason to listen to them almost once :P
Sita

I just checked my old FALAA CD from 1988, it says "mixed by Andrew Eldritch/Dave Allen". So that's the mix everyone says is no good? I never thought it sounded bad :oops:
anikk
Road Kill

Listen to the title track on the 2006 CD as a very good example. It will be very clear immediately: The 2006 CD is the real thing.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

surely coke is the real thing?
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

weebleswobble wrote:surely coke is the real thing?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
anikk
Road Kill

I meant it's the only CD that counts in terms of having the correct audio source. Will I really be the dumba** of the board because of the other day? For some people it might be the first time they wonder about the fate of the FALAA audio. They need information. Of course it's not new info to you guys. But the newbies might not always know the long, rocky story. And to be honest, it's the senior members who didn't ever care about doing a scientific sticky thread about this elementary issue. I tried to establish such a thing a lot of times, because there is so much false info about it and important ones missing. Nonsense rumors became "internet facts" etc. ("US 1990 CD" and so on). It's needed.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

anikk wrote:I tried to establish such a thing a lot of times, because there is so much false info about it and important ones missing. Nonsense rumors became "internet facts" etc. ("US 1990 CD" and so on). It's needed.
Well, fair play to you for trying. "The Net is allergic to truth, reason and humour" after all. :notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

sloppy moderating as usual :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele