Wayne on the Sisters.....

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
playboy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
playboy wrote: The Sisters fans used to be more intelligent, well spoken, political animals in the past. Who never ever talked or behaved this way. Not to other musicians. Let alone members (past or present) in THE SISTERS OF MERCY...... It is beyond stupidity.
Silence is platinum.
This is the second time I've read you posting about the golden age of Sisters fans - when was this exactly ? Are not the people posting largely amusing stuff about WH here the same people who were around "back in the day" ?

Musicians, like anyone else in life, tend to attract the respect they deserve. Most people posting on this subject have paid tribute to WH's contribution to the Sisters (and I dare say that most will have the odd CD from his subsequent project or have been to see them live) but surely a bit of banter about the more pretentious excesses or criticism of some dubious career moves is fair comment and not "beyond stupidity".
The golden age was before 1991. Then it started to change. Up until that every Sisters fan was loving and enjoying The Sisters Of Mercy for what they were, what they stood for and represented. The vibe and feeling was as important as the music, which up until Vision Thing came out had this Leeds feeling to it, watery guitars, songs with sharp lyrics inbedded in songs full of melodies. The liveshows seemed dangerous, there was so much power from these angry young men on speed and each tour was new and fresh.
The music really represented and reflected the feelings and the thoughts of the members which was a little lost on Vision Thing, probably due to Andrews desire to try to be something else than the Sisters used to were. Nothing wrong about that but it felt at that time that Andrew didn´t knew what to do with the Sisters and the directions ware a little off so to speak.

The music still exixts in todays Sisters, but the feeling has gone.

Finally, okey, discussing Waynes writing may not be beyond stupidity. In some bizarre way I can see why people still have their hangups on his one in the Sisters 26 years ago. Musicwise there is not much new to discuss, cause nothing much have happened since. His album Floddland are more a soloalbum and only bear the name The Sisters Of Mercy for contractual reasons, and cause there was money to earn. Only one more album has come out which NEARLY was a band album. The next one might have been one, the first real bandalbum since their debut but as we know there woild be none. Besides a few new songs to played live for fans only.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I suggest you to take a look booklet of VT. 4 from 8 songs were co-written (with Bruhn and Steinman); same about 'new' songs only one- 'War on drugs'- was written only by A.E.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

playboy wrote: Discussing Waynes writing may not be beyond stupidity. In some bizarre way I can see why people still have their hangups on his one in the Sisters 26 years ago. Musicwise there is not much new to discuss..
You're probably right about this. After all, our inter-necine disputes and your views of modern Sisters fanswere prophesied in the scriptures (!) :

A people come to this
Beyond the Age of Reason
A people fed on famine
A people on their knees and
A people eat each other
playboy

Bartek wrote:I suggest you to take a look booklet of VT. 4 from 8 songs were co-written (with Bruhn and Steinman); same about 'new' songs only one- 'War on drugs'- was written only by A.E.
I know that Andreas co-wrote some songs. It was Andrew and Andreas who did most of both writing and recording. Well, Andreas only contributed as a writer on three songs.

Andrew initially worked with a guy called John Perry when Andrew presented the ideas and demos for Vision Thing. Patricia Morrison was also still in The Sisters. John left early (though he does play on Detonation Boulevard) in the process and Andreas was recruited. Just when they were about to start recording Patricia left and was replaced by Tony James but he was not involved in the recording from the beginning. The bass was sequenced for most songs. He only played on one songs.
Tim Bricheno joined the last minutes and was in the studio the last couple of days of the nine-month session.

My point is that Vision Thing is not much of a bandalbum.

By the way, Come Together is written by Andrew only.
panzerfaust

Potski wrote:1. I finally remembered my password....

2. http://youtu.be/NAxwahvkpTA
Interview with WH from 2007 talks about his life and mentions AE and his time in the Sisters
i laughed my ass off when he mentions that one of the run-up names for "the m*****n" was Crystal Religion. hilarious.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's true that after RAH-Wake TSOM became band leaded by one man, changing members and picking them, but you can't really say that VT era wasn't about band. It was like hell a bit 5 years late hair rock/AOR band.
playboy

Bartek wrote:That's true that after RAH-Wake TSOM became band leaded by one man, changing members and picking them, but you can't really say that VT era wasn't about band. It was like hell a bit 5 years late hair rock/AOR band.
They became a band after the release. A fairly good one, would be nice if they did a album, shame they didn´t. But the album Vision Thing itself was not made by a band, it was almost done when the linup was completed. It is Andrews political AOR record. It might be that Andrew saw Vision Thing as a threshold to what was to come. Which, sadly, never came.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

After release VT- that's what i meant. Thanks for correct.
playboy

Bartek wrote:After release VT- that's what i meant. Thanks for correct.
Yeah. I must admit I really liked that lineup. Have almost forgot about it, it is to be remembered from time to time. They had something Sister-ish feeling I think. Many dislike Andreas but he really is a good musician. Did you know he was the "musical director" in the Sisters? He did a lot of the programming, was in charge of the shows a lot, was the leader in the rehearsal sessions. And a bassplayer was nice, Tony got to be the last. Tim did a nice job, he was very nice to hang around with.
Mav787
One life, all I need

playboy wrote:The golden age was before 1991. Then it started to change. Up until that every Sisters fan was loving and enjoying The Sisters Of Mercy for what they were, what they stood for and represented. The vibe and feeling was as important as the music, which up until Vision Thing came out had this Leeds feeling to it, watery guitars, songs with sharp lyrics inbedded in songs full of melodies. The liveshows seemed dangerous, there was so much power from these angry young men on speed and each tour was new and fresh.
The golden age was before 1991 but i'd argue that it finished in 1985.

For me it was always about the live experience. FALAA is a great record but it doesn't do justice to how the band played live. I loved it when they finished a gig with Ghostrider/Louie Louie or Sister Ray.

Post RAH there was no touring until late '90. Listening to Floodland in your bedroom can't compare to seeing them live.

When they came back there was all the hype of Tony James (lets not forget it wasn't that long before when he'd been in SS Sputnik) and they could never match the earlier Sisters. Plus seeing them play a venue the size of Wembley Arena was just plain weird.
Tilburg - Brussels
playboy

Mav787 wrote:
playboy wrote:The golden age was before 1991. Then it started to change. Up until that every Sisters fan was loving and enjoying The Sisters Of Mercy for what they were, what they stood for and represented. The vibe and feeling was as important as the music, which up until Vision Thing came out had this Leeds feeling to it, watery guitars, songs with sharp lyrics inbedded in songs full of melodies. The liveshows seemed dangerous, there was so much power from these angry young men on speed and each tour was new and fresh.
The golden age was before 1991 but i'd argue that it finished in 1985.

For me it was always about the live experience. FALAA is a great record but it doesn't do justice to how the band played live. I loved it when they finished a gig with Ghostrider/Louie Louie or Sister Ray.

Post RAH there was no touring until late '90. Listening to Floodland in your bedroom can't compare to seeing them live.

When they came back there was all the hype of Tony James (lets not forget it wasn't that long before when he'd been in SS Sputnik) and they could never match the earlier Sisters. Plus seeing them play a venue the size of Wembley Arena was just plain weird.
I agree. However I think they survived the Vision Thing tour. The were some vibe left and it the old songs were played fantastic I think, and it was kind of fresh to hear songs from two albums live for the first time.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Someone was so brave to bring the question to Chris Catalyst. Did you see what he replied? :lol:

SO much more normal than any wild theories here... :lol:
paul
Overbomber

playboy wrote: I agree. However I think they survived the Vision Thing tour. The were some vibe left and it the old songs were played fantastic I think, and it was kind of fresh to hear songs from two albums live for the first time.
Indeed, they sounded awesome in the early nineties. I still love that part in Sisters history!
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Sita wrote:Someone was so brave to bring the question to Chris Catalyst. Did you see what he replied? :lol:

SO much more normal than any wild theories here... :lol:
Agreed - and the "get very drunk and be annoying" bit fits in with some of the less wild theories advanced in this thread, however unpalatable they may seem to some :wink: :innocent:
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

and interview in Spanish:

http://www.mariskalrock.com/index.php/2 ... -a-espana/

question:

Why Andrew Eldrich is keeping you grudge?

reply:

"I do not know and I don´t care. I guess it's because he knows that I have much more talent than him,I sing better than he (the truth is that I never liked his voice), and I´m a better composer ... ah, yes, and I still have hair and I'm more handsom

JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!!!!!

I´ll keep my opinion for myself,because i don´t want to start a war, but if I were Wayne I´d go to see the doctor right now........
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
mh
Above the Chemist

I'm a bit puzzled that Wayne seems to think that Von has a grudge; so far as I can see there's much evidence to indicate it's actually the other way around (including that quote!)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Wayne wrote: "... I have much more talent than him, I sing better than he (the truth is that I never liked his voice), and I´m a better composer ... ah, yes, and I still have hair and I'm more handsome.
ImageImageImage

... well, at least he seems to be honest ... ImageImage...
panzerfaust

that answer is obviously not serious. hes just taking the p*ss of the journalist.

anyway here's another interview

The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | The m*****n Celebrate Their Quarter Century: That Guitarist Interviewed
http://thequietus.com/articles/07162-th ... -interview
paul
Overbomber

Being645
Intellectual Love God

panzerfaust wrote:that answer is obviously not serious. hes just taking the p*ss of the journalist.

The Quietus | Features | A Quietus Interview | The m*****n Celebrate Their Quarter Century: That Guitarist Interviewed
Thanks for the link, panzerfaust. Oh yes, I see ...
October 12, 2011 Wayne wrote: I have to say that these days I’m not a big fan of Andrew’s voice, it’s not my kind of thing, but at the same time I do look back at that time and I’m proud of it, you know. It was a good time, it was a good time to be in the band and we certainly had something that was very unique and powerful.
Fair enough. Of course, I've read it all.
So, pleased to see he's adjusted his strategies to certain modernized standards as well ...
and elsewhere in that interview he even admits having been a bitch at times back in the days ...
That's all forgivable (for who had not been) and obviously, The Sisters don't need him to pay their rent ... :lol: ...

At the moment, they are a wonderful rock'n roll groove machine of some people who can all perfectly stand for themselves ... ;D ...

Thank you, Paul. I think the author of that article does everything but what he announced. He just didn't get a certain point about The Sisters and left with The m*****n. Like Wayne. He's still not able to face it, and most probably, he never will be.

Perhaps, it's better this way. If people don't get what one is on about, one can only let them dream on, forgive their limitations (who were without any) and head on to one's own ... go stop turning the thorn in one's flesh over and over again, rip it off and just pass it by. The damages one does to oneself are the worst one can take, anyway. Bad enough having to stop that as well, sort it out and make one's ground anew.

Hell, it's all so long ago. The Sisters as well as The m*****n have seen various eras with ups and downs. Now, they're both rather up and should have other things to do than digging the past.

Now is now. And we're in 2011 now ... ;D ... nobody ever said, it would be painless.

/End of bla.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

panzerfaust wrote:that answer is obviously not serious. hes just taking the p*ss of the journalist.

Thanks for posting. Interesting that his views on recording new material at the end of the interview are remarkably similar to :von: 's.

The mental image of the dour Highland landlady getting him to clear up the fire extinguisher will keep me smiling for days ...
Dan
Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:The mental image of the dour Highland landlady getting him to clear up the fire extinguisher will keep me smiling for days ...
I did the Highlands tour.
Wayne arrived at a pub on the Isle of Skye incredibly drunk, proceeded to play acoustic guitar and sing, then collapsed and had to be carried off by another band member and a roadie. He was sober enough to do that nights gig though.
The Stornoway Seaforth hotel had a nice polished parquet floor, and after the gig it was totally ruined - varnish stripped off and some of the wooden panels were coming up. That supposedly earned the m*****n a lifetime ban from Stornoway. :lol:
Last edited by Dan on 14 Oct 2011, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

... :lol: ... lovely story ... ;D :lol: :notworthy: ...
lachert
Overbomber

Dan wrote:I did the Highlands tour.
Wayne arrived at a pub on the Isle of Skye incredibly drunk, proceeded to play acoustic guitar and sing, then collapsed and had to be carried off by another band member and a roadie. He was sober enough to do that nights gig though.
yeah, everybody knows that he's an alkoholic, like me :roll: :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Dan wrote:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:The mental image of the dour Highland landlady getting him to clear up the fire extinguisher will keep me smiling for days ...
I did the Highlands tour.
The Stornoway Seaforth hotel had a nice polished parquet floor, and after the gig it was totally ruined - varnish stripped off and some of the wooden panels were coming up. That supposedly earned the m*****n a lifetime ban from Stornoway. :lol:
Is it your recording of the Stornoway gig that's kicking about then? :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell