09.04.2009 - London

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.
Debaser
Overbomber

_emma_ wrote:
Scardwel wrote:I had to miss this one (Don't ask - really just don't). :evil:
Do you realise that you missed the gig because of the assholes who bought tickets (not only for themselves but also their teenage kids) only to walk out of the show after the first couple of songs? :evil:
Bang out of order with that comment. I'm sure the person buying tickets bought them with the expectation he and his teenage son would have a grand time. By walking out surely it actually gave those 'real' fans a tad extra space......

If Scardwel missed out on buying tickets (which I'm sure wouldn't be the reason he didn't go this time) that's hardly other ticket buyers fault. Yes we all get frustrated when touts and agencies buy/block book tickets for gigs but the guy in question was hardly one of those.

You're in danger of sounding like a bitter 'real' fan which I'm sure you're not - bitter that is.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

_emma_ you could've bought tickets from the dozens of ticket touts outside the tube station or the event, if you really wanted to go.

I went, I walked out; and was surprised to find a large group of people outside who had also walked out too. Moreover, on the tube there were quite a few people who'd walked and were all saying the same thing...

The sound quality was terrible, truly terrible.

My friends and I were standing at the top -- just behind the band's friends and family section -- and all we could hear was drums and bass, and (weirdly) backing vocals. We could barely hear the guitars and could not hear Eldritch at all.

It was so bad that we could not even recognise the songs being played.

This gig had the worse sound mix I have ever heard at any performance ever, not only of the Sister but of any band in any gig anywhere in the world. It sounded like there was a Sisters theme party in the room next door, and you couldn't quite hear what was going on.

In contrast the support act were clear as a bell and sounded like a real life live band.

Terrible.
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

Just looked above and saw that support band were Goldblade, which is funny because one of my friends (who was a guitar player in a Manchester band of the 1980s) said "Is that Goldblade? If it is I know the singer!"

We still left early though, as trying to listen to The Sisters was a waste of time ... at least where we were located, and looking around everyone felt the same way too.[/b]
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Like Leeds.....Extremely different opinions. Strange..... :|

Oh yeah....for the moaners; just stay home next time. :D
WAKE....basement etc. :)
"as we walk on the floodland"
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

miprs4 wrote:I didn't say it was bad btw.... Just variable quality :)
I believe you can count yourself out of the people with whom some of us (myself included) have issues. :wink: Your comments were diplomatic, admittedly subjective, and absolutely fair - as opposed to rude and vicious rants. :(
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Last night knocked the socks off the last one (Astoria 2006) BY MILES.

Could have been louder, yes, very quiet towards the back when i ducked out to buy a Mechanised tee. I got into a sweet spot nearer the front on the right and that did the trick for me. Highlights were FALAA, Alice and Marian. No Floorshow, but them's the breaks. I have NEVER seen :von: smile so much ~ the atmosphere was electric, so cool to see after all these years.

Now i'm suffering after downing a few too many beers and tequilas... :urff:

Worth it though.

Maisey i saw you being led out ~ glad you got back in mate!
_emma_
Overbomber

Debaser wrote:You're in danger of sounding like a bitter 'real' fan which I'm sure you're not - bitter that is.
I'm aware that many times I've sounded not only "bitter" here, but also ridiculous, silly, absurd, and embarrasing. And many times I hesitated whether it's better to keep quiet for the sake of political correctness, or voice my heartfelt opinion openly. Having compared the s**t I write with some other s**t that is quite often written here by many people, I've always chosen the latter. :)
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Ah rancour, bitterness, difference of opinion... yeah Liverpool's attempt at zonal marking were interesting! :lol: Well since I couldn't make the gigs I had to enjoy something this week and being a Chelsea fan... :innocent:
The Chancer Corporation
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Chalky wrote:...I would rather remember them for performances like The Albert Hall...
Which, ironically, many other people thought was complete s**t. :roll:

The radical differences in opinion of people who were (ostensibly) at the same shows has been going on almost as long as The Sisters have. I can't think of another band claiming so many die-hard 'fans' whose responses are so...schizoid. Image
--Elizabeth von Arnim
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Purple Light wrote:...Newbies posting reviews saying they thought it was sh*t is just about the only non biased reviews we are gonna get...
Mmm. Not sure I agree. It seems that as much slagging has been done by the 'I-Remember-Them-When' crowd as by the 'Only-Know-The-Records' types. They're only newbies to HL, not to TSOM.

As for 'unbiased'...well, not that either. Honest I'll grant - that's how they feel, and it's valid to that extent (however much it may annoy me for other reasons :?). But the only opinion completely without bias would be that of someone with absolutely no idea who The Sisters were, no familiarity with their past, and no expectations whatsoever.
And also wrote:At the end of the day, its people who are new to The Sisters or new to the live show nowadays that will gauge whether this band continue to play or not...
That I'm down with. And the newer fans seem to have fewer issues than than those who are, apparently, attempting to relive their misspent youth... :wink:

...says she whose youth is farther in the past than the lot of you, and st least as misspent...
--Elizabeth von Arnim
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

One request I would make after that show was that they dump Romeo Down sharpish :(

Sadly I can well believe that the band were not loud enough for those in the balconey and have every sympathy...
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

"Romeo Down" worked quite well when they played it with "Neverland". Then again, I think a static setlist is ultimately really quite tedious : I preferred Sisters Mark IV which played a more varied setlist purely from a song perspective. Though, unfortunately the gigs are getting a teeny bit predictable, always starting "Crash N Burn", and always ending with "Lucretia", "Top Nite Out" and "Temple Of Love".... I'd rather a bit more excitement. And "Body Electric".
Ghostdance
Road Kill

I was sadden by last night , too many good memories of the old day's :wink:

I was 13 years old when i was taken to a SOM gig . I went to 12 of their gigs before they split and yes i was lucky enough to have been at the Royal albert hall 1985. The Sisters of Mercy shaped my life but hearing the so called classics was heart breaking !

:cry: yes we are all getting old but seriously something is definately wrong with their sound system :urff:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Ghostdance wrote: :cry: yes we are all getting old but seriously something is definately wrong with their sound system :urff:
Von's voice isn't all it used to be, either...but yes, there are, erm, 'technical difficulties'. :|
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Ghostdance
Road Kill

7anthea7 wrote:
Ghostdance wrote: :cry: yes we are all getting old but seriously something is definately wrong with their sound system :urff:
Von's voice isn't all it used to be, either...but yes, there are, erm, 'technical difficulties'. :|
It was weird at times his voice was loud and clear and other times he sounded like Mutley. :lol:
Pista
Cureboi

Looks like this should be split into a separate thread really.

The band I "fell in love with" is totally different now. But then so am I.

You first time posters should take a look around before you you scream blue murder (welcome BTW).
I still love them to bits & the Vienna show was actually surprisingly good.
Million times better than the Silver Bullet tour shows.

BUT!!
Were you happy with the show?
If not, then say so.
If yes, then also say so.

I have seen them on this tour & have a few recordings of other shows.
There are some good ones & there are some bad ones (was Seattle that bad really?).

I will still go to see the Sisters in the hope that they will pull something out of the hat. Because they are (contrary to popular belief) my favourite band ever.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:was Seattle that bad really?
No - who said it was? :evil:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
czuczu
Overbomber

First half was better than the second. Both halves were better than I expected (I was expecting a pretty disappointed gig, truth be told). Sound was quiet until halfway through Ribbons & vocals dropped off a little after Giving Ground - but I'm sure life is a lot easier if you let Chris sing your lines for you :innocent:

Not vintage but not bad!
OnlineSince1984
Road Kill

This thread is interesting reading, but I cannot believe anyone thought the London show sounded good; it might not be "as bad as gig X by tSoM" but holy heck that is no benchmark.

Okay, one of my friends last saw The Sisters play live in 1983 or 1984 he couldn't remember which, but had been to plenty of Sisters gigs; one had only seem them at a festival and the other pair of us last saw them play in the early 1990s. At least a couple of us have everything ever done in every format and every issue/pressing -- and issues of Heartland and original Press Releases, and all sorts of associated junk including bootlegs of other shows (back in the 1980s we tried to collect the entire set). So we're familiar with the content, if not with this website.

But simply comparing the sound at this gig to other live musical performance is a joke; don't get me wrong, the performance itself may have been great, Von Eldritch may have thought it was the gig of his life on stage ... but the mix was abysmal, worse than amateur.

Was there even a sound engineer present?
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Maisey wrote:The one who was on the right of the stage from the audience perspective.

johnny?

i'll say thanks next time i see him.
That's the one. I'm really rather grateful - it made the night that extra bit special for me that's for sure. The pass itself has gona straight into my scrap book and will certainly be treasured, along with the memories of a wonderfully rock and roll night.

I briefly thought about using it to get backstage after the show had finished, but I decided I didn't want my first meeting with Eldritch to end in him having me ordered out of the venue for being a cheeky bugger. Instead, I passed my regards and compliments to the band via one of the crew having a fag outside the stage door.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

OnlineSince1984 wrote:....the mix was abysmal, worse than amateur.

Was there even a sound engineer present?
You aren't the first to ask this question, by far.

There always seems to be someone who answers to that name. As to whether they're actually qualified to claim it: that remains to be seen (or rather heard, as the case may be...). :?
--Elizabeth von Arnim
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

7anthea7 wrote:And the newer fans seem to have fewer issues than than those who are, apparently, attempting to relive their misspent youth... :wink:

...says she whose youth is farther in the past than the lot of you, and st least as misspent...
Hmmm...maybe that's why, having seen Eldo and the lads a grand total of only 4 times (having been a fan since 1988), I still find nothing to gripe about. I really don't care if Von mumbles, or the sound mix blows, or if Von's dressed like a slob and his guitarists bounce around like Bill and Ted in "Wyld Stallyns" mode. Sure, I'll probably poke fun here and there at aspects of the shows I might find lacking, but there's no malice aforethought.

Incidentally, not only was my youth not misspent, it went missing entirely - I'm still trying to locate it! At 41, I'm about as socially-experienced - and jaded - as the average 16-year-old, so I suppose my near-sycophantic gig reviews hold no water whatsoever. That's fine with me. I go to see The Sissies with zero expectations other than having a good time with my favorite band, and to me, that's all that matters. 8)
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

SINsister wrote:...his guitarists bounce around like Bill and Ted in "Wyld Stallyns" mode...
I can't believe you did that to me.

AAAAAIIIIEEEEE!!!!! My eyes!!! :urff: Image
--Elizabeth von Arnim
bananacamel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

For my 10 peneth, I had a great time. Used new mics for taping it and blew the recording, it's a complete mess and not worth sharing, even after a considerable time trying to equalise it, it's still rubbish, so apologies.

As for the reviews, my first post on this forum was to explain my dissapointment after The Astoria 2006, I totally understand where these guys are coming from.

But as I said in my Leeds post, I think at this point it's take what you can get while it's about, The Sisters aint gonna last for ever & I for one would rather a quiet gig, than no gig at all. My wife who doesn't like the Sisters said she enjoyed herself, and was impressed at the lack of smoke, she's a bit strange & does like to see the band she's listening too :D (personally I think the fact that she's 5ft has more to do with not being able to see than any amount of smoke)

Anyway, sorry I missed you guys, couldn't see you anywhere, in the pub or in the venue. Maybe next time. Cheers
I've got a mind like a poisonous fish...
Pista
Cureboi

7anthea7 wrote:
Pista wrote:was Seattle that bad really?
No - who said it was? :evil:
Well, I have heard a recording & Von doesn't even feature really.

But talking to Scardwell & Andrew S in Budapest last Friday, they were both at the Krakow show & Scardwell said the sound was awful & Andrew said the complete opposite.
On the whole though most seem to have enjoyed themselves & that's a good thing.

:D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity