Newsworthy continued: EEEEEEEENINp'ts!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I always think it's a bit rich to say that Columbus "discovered" the Americas, given that people had been living there for about 11000 years.
Doesn't count; weren't colonialist Europeans. /s
iesus
Overbomber

New beta Robocop in test area some months ago. I guess the designers loved old Dr.Who :roll: Robocop Prototype Demonstration
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

Jeebuz! It's been a tough week for bears.
First Paddington & now....... *shakes magic 8-ball* .......Winnie The Pooh
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So Bill Cosby is a rapist.

Lots of women have been saying so for many years, but it takes a man to speak out before anyone takes notice. *sigh*.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote:So Bill Cosby is a rapist.

Lots of women have been saying so for many years, but it takes a man to speak out before anyone takes notice. *sigh*.
after the hurricane hit new orleans, when they were starting to clean up, they showed an interview with one of the survivors who had lived in the football stadium with thousands of other refugees. listerning to her take on how "civilised" society had disintegrated into organised paedophilia and unopposed rape-gangs made me think that there are an awful lot of people for whom these behaviours are perfectly acceptable should the social norms and constraints be removed. all of the recent and ongoing revelations about celebrities just shows that with a little bit of privelege and influence there are plenty prepared to indulge in those behaviours untii caught.
are the majority of people thus inclined secretly? as someone who isnt i kow that there are many, many people for whom these behaviours are abhorrant, and i have always thought the assertion that "all men are rapists" to be incorrect, but i'm afraid i cant say i sincerely believe that to be the case for humanity as a whole.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Pista wrote:Jeebuz! It's been a tough week for bears.
& now....... *shakes magic 8-ball* .......Winnie The Pooh
And don't forget that The Pooh's wearing red shirt, so she's a commie. But that's just joke.

Btw. in Polish version Winnie the Pooh is a dude, and has name Jacob and variation of word "Pooh" as his last name (cause in Polish "pooh" is pronounced the same as "fluff").
Last edited by Bartek on 21 Nov 2014, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
iesus
Overbomber

Those people that make the PG and other ratings must be great fans and enthusiasts of Stalin :roll: :?
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
EvilBastard
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:After the hurricane hit new orleans, when they were starting to clean up, they showed an interview with one of the survivors who had lived in the football stadium with thousands of other refugees. listerning to her take on how "civilised" society had disintegrated into organised paedophilia and unopposed rape-gangs made me think that there are an awful lot of people for whom these behaviours are perfectly acceptable should the social norms and constraints be removed. all of the recent and ongoing revelations about celebrities just shows that with a little bit of privelege and influence there are plenty prepared to indulge in those behaviours untii caught.
are the majority of people thus inclined secretly? as someone who isnt i kow that there are many, many people for whom these behaviours are abhorrant, and i have always thought the assertion that "all men are rapists" to be incorrect, but i'm afraid i cant say i sincerely believe that to be the case for humanity as a whole.
I can't speak for the majority - me, I know that I'm not interested in rape or kiddie-fiddling, but then again I am a white straight male, reasonably privileged, so I already have the power. I wonder if the incidents in New Orleans are connected to the actions of a group of people who felt that they already had little power, and the power that they did have had been stripped from them. Rape is ultimately about power, about control - when you don't have power or control perhaps there is an inclination to find something that you can control? Men are conditioned to think that they should be in control, when they have no other path then perhaps the majority would be so inclined.

And perhaps the slebs who have been caught recently prove the adage that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. When you have been getting away with it for so long, perhaps there is a temptation to think that you're somehow untouchable?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The "all men are rapists" thing is a bit misleading, what was actually said was that "all men are potentially rapists" meaning that for her own safety, a woman must treat an unknown man as Schrödinger's rapist.

On the other hand, "all men are (potentially) rapists" is more true than you might like to think. Surveys where they don't actually use the "R" word but ask questions like "is it OK to continue having sex with a woman who asks you to stop?" get figures approaching 25% for men saying "yes". And a small but significant minority will admit to actually having raped women. (I can't find the studies off-hand but they are out there.)

And as it says in the "Schrödinger's rapist" article, if 1 in 6 women are raped in their lifetimes (this is broadly true in the UK and Europe as well as in the USA) and if an average rapist commits 10 rapes, then one in 60 men is a rapist. This means that statistically, it's fairly likely that there is at least one rapist regularly posting on HL. A sobering thought.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
iesus
Overbomber

one sixth of men , women, bisexual, transexual, homosexual, asexual or all together ? :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:The "all men are rapists" thing is a bit misleading, what was actually said was that "all men are potentially rapists" meaning that for her own safety, a woman must treat an unknown man as Schrödinger's rapist.

On the other hand, "all men are (potentially) rapists" is more true than you might like to think. Surveys where they don't actually use the "R" word but ask questions like "is it OK to continue having sex with a woman who asks you to stop?" get figures approaching 25% for men saying "yes". And a small but significant minority will admit to actually having raped women. (I can't find the studies off-hand but they are out there.)

And as it says in the "Schrödinger's rapist" article, if 1 in 6 women are raped in their lifetimes (this is broadly true in the UK and Europe as well as in the USA) and if an average rapist commits 10 rapes, then one in 60 men is a rapist. This means that statistically, it's fairly likely that there is at least one rapist regularly posting on HL. A sobering thought.
The "is it OK to continue having sex with a woman who asks you to stop?" is really where the wheels come off for me. I'm a big fan of having sex - I really really enjoy it, and I know that this may come as a surprise - but I like the kind of sex where all partners are having an equal amount of fun. If one of the partners is saying "stop" then he/she's not having fun. So stop. This isn't a "she doesn't mean it" thing - this is a "she said stop" thing. Now, maybe she's saying stop because she wants to try a new position, or she's got cramp, or the hedgehog has rolled underneath her and is sticking into her back, whatever - she said stop. So stop. Not sure why this is difficult to grasp - clearly for some people it is, but it makes no sense to me.

But for the record, I am not the statistical HL rapist.
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

EvilBastard wrote:The "is it OK to continue having sex with a woman who asks you to stop?" is really where the wheels come off for me. I'm a big fan of having sex - I really really enjoy it, and I know that this may come as a surprise - but I like the kind of sex where all partners are having an equal amount of fun. If one of the partners is saying "stop" then he/she's not having fun. So stop. This isn't a "she doesn't mean it" thing - this is a "she said stop" thing. Now, maybe she's saying stop because she wants to try a new position, or she's got cramp, or the hedgehog has rolled underneath her and is sticking into her back, whatever - she said stop. So stop. Not sure why this is difficult to grasp - clearly for some people it is, but it makes no sense to me.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. :notworthy: :notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

iesus wrote:one sixth of men , women, bisexual, transexual, homosexual, asexual or all together ? :roll:
I think that one in six women means a sixth of all women. A rapist is hardly likely to let the sexuality or sexual identity of his victim stop him.

Although for the record, if I understand correctly, trans-women are at far greater risk of rape (and indeed of violence of all kinds) than women in general.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:The "is it OK to continue having sex with a woman who asks you to stop?" is really where the wheels come off for me. I'm a big fan of having sex - I really really enjoy it, and I know that this may come as a surprise - but I like the kind of sex where all partners are having an equal amount of fun. If one of the partners is saying "stop" then he/she's not having fun. So stop. This isn't a "she doesn't mean it" thing - this is a "she said stop" thing. Now, maybe she's saying stop because she wants to try a new position, or she's got cramp, or the hedgehog has rolled underneath her and is sticking into her back, whatever - she said stop. So stop. Not sure why this is difficult to grasp - clearly for some people it is, but it makes no sense to me.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. :notworthy: :notworthy:
likewise. :von:

rien

@markfiend: thank you for your well-thought-out postings about this topic. Every time violence against women comes up in a discussion, I already tense up in anticipation of horrible and ignorant comments. I'm immensely relieved that isn't the case here (also thank you EMWK and EB).
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
EvilBastard
Overbomber

rien wrote:@markfiend: thank you for your well-thought-out postings about this topic. Every time violence against women comes up in a discussion, I already tense up in anticipation of horrible and ignorant comments. I'm immensely relieved that isn't the case here (also thank you EMWK and EB).
Fortunately we seem to be a pretty well-adjusted bunch over here (at least in public!) - reasoned and rationale argument and debate. Speaking for myself, I don't see how violence (against women or anyone else) solves problems, which probably explains why I don't "get" why people rape, or molest children, or whatever - just seems like a really weird way to deal with a problem.
Hank Moody
eastmidswhizzkid

EvilBastard wrote:
rien wrote:@markfiend: thank you for your well-thought-out postings about this topic. Every time violence against women comes up in a discussion, I already tense up in anticipation of horrible and ignorant comments. I'm immensely relieved that isn't the case here (also thank you EMWK and EB).
Fortunately we seem to be a pretty well-adjusted bunch over here (at least in public!) - reasoned and rationale argument and debate. Speaking for myself, I don't see how violence (against women or anyone else) solves problems, which probably explains why I don't "get" why people rape, or molest children, or whatever - just seems like a really weird way to deal with a problem.
and yet i totally get why people want to beat the shit out of people who do rape, molest children etc..

iesus
Overbomber

Good point. It is something so basic in human behavior to see 99% of normal and otherwise peaceful people to have the need to cut pieces of such a man when they got him/her. It is also expected to hear all be positive and in joy when they hear that at least someone else or better a team of other people applied the lynch law to such persons. It sounds more like a good opportunity to do a -otherwise shameful- violent act to other creatures with the backing of the rest of our specie which is positive for that case.

Is there any other case that such violence is so universal approved by human kind ?
'Are we the Baddies?'...
rien

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
and yet i totally get why people want to beat the shit out of people who do rape, molest children etc..
Oh yeah. I have extremely violent thoughts about such people. But I would ever actually harm anyone (except in self-defence, pray that never happens).
I think it's a reaction to that feeling of helplessness, and seeing other people being helpless, and just complete blind rage against that.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

On the one hand, I'm happy for the thanks. We want HL to be a welcoming kind of place. For everyone.

On the other hand, it's sad that not everywhere is like this.

Listening to people, how does that work?
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

rien wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
EvilBastard wrote:
Oh yeah. I have extremely violent thoughts about such people. But I would ever actually harm anyone (except in self-defence, pray that never happens).
I think it's a reaction to that feeling of helplessness, and seeing other people being helpless, and just complete blind rage against that.
So i think that majority of us have not-polite, not nice, warm thoughts about what we would do to man/women who raped or molested man/women as well as kid or drunken/intoxicated man/woman.
:evil:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

You can get away with murder with a badge - especially if your victim is black. Oh but racism in the US is over!
—Bertrand Russell
rien

Utterly disgusting. My Twitter stream for the past ten hours or so has been full of righteous outrage (once again confirming that I follow the right people).

Can't we just somehow magically transport Ferguson police to ISIL occupied territory and put the survivors on trial?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

On average, roughly three black people are killed by the police in America every week. More than 400 people have been killed by US cops this year alone.

Do you know how many people the police in the UK have killed this year?

Wait for it...

None.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Anyone, knowing history of such occurrences, is surprised by this decision?