Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hmm, strange then :|

are you running the latest version of FF? 5.0.1
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

yup! ggrrrr...
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Dan
Overbomber

Opera's good, although I'm using 10.63 as I wasn't happy with the later versions. The trouble with Opera is they get something right then when they update they break it again.
James Blast
Banned

I haven't Lion'd yet but this iMac has purred perfectly from day 1 (over a year now), the optical died but Apple sorted that within 6 days.

The older I get, the more reserved I'm becoming...
I don't feel the need for the latest 'this that and the other'. It feckin' works at lightnin' speed, why would I break it with a 'new improved'? There were several new 'bells & whistles' in Leopard that I still haven't fannied with, why should I go further when I'm so happy with what I have? You gotta remember I'm from the ground floor - 1985 and 3 designers on wee Mac Pluses sharing a 20 Megabyte Hard Drive!!!!!!!!
Holy Shit! this is ace :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

It'll break my beloved FreeHand too, so I'm not having that!

be happy with what you've got, I'm happy with everything I have :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

One of my favourite origami books (published 1995) has this on the copyright page:
Software: Aldus Freehand 3.1, Color-It 2.3 and proprietary PostScript extensions
Hardware: Macintosh SE + Novy Quik30 Accelerator, Macintosh Quadra 700
(my emphasis)
:notworthy:

I does like my Linux these days, but a Mac just cannot be beaten for design work.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:I haven't Lion'd yet but this iMac has purred perfectly from day 1 (over a year now), the optical died but Apple sorted that within 6 days.

The older I get, the more reserved I'm becoming...
I don't feel the need for the latest 'this that and the other'. It feckin' works at lightnin' speed, why would I break it with a 'new improved'? There were several new 'bells & whistles' in Leopard that I still haven't fannied with, why should I go further when I'm so happy with what I have? You gotta remember I'm from the ground floor - 1985 and 3 designers on wee Mac Pluses sharing a 20 Megabyte Hard Drive!!!!!!!!
Holy Shit! this is ace :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

It'll break my beloved FreeHand too, so I'm not having that!

be happy with what you've got, I'm happy with everything I have :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it... ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

hello again

why do some of my DVD rips through decrypter have only partial sound? for example the music sounds great but the voices sound muted/underwater? Any ideas

thanks
Goths have feelings too
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Might sound obvious, but have you checked your sound settings? Vox normally comes through the centre channel, if your setup is off then you'll get the problem you're having. I used to have the same issue.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

EvilBastard wrote:Might sound obvious, but have you checked your sound settings? Vox normally comes through the centre channel, if your setup is off then you'll get the problem you're having. I used to have the same issue.
thanks :notworthy: it wasn't that but you pointed me in a direction I wouldn't have thought of. It appears to be the 6CH Aud that was causing the problem. After some geeking around, it appears if I 'enable stream processing' I can then turn Aud options / subtitles on/off - and I can now watch The Empire Strikes back on my Cowon - result :D :notworthy:
Goths have feelings too
maartini

hell yeah - looking forward to seeing this movie. I believe Andy did see them at Sweden Rock :notworthy:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

maartini wrote:hell yeah - looking forward to seeing this movie. I believe Andy did see them at Sweden Rock :notworthy:
Wrong thread? Or spam?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

AAAAAAANYway...

Me Currently Geeking:

I have purchased myself a Zotac Zbox (320 GB HD not 250 as it says there... even though I only ordered 250GB :lol:) and have installed XBMC live on it. (Basically a stripped-down Ubuntu running very little other than XBMC itself.)

It's very shiny indeed and a lot better than the reclaimed machine that had been acting as the HTPC: more HD space, a hell of a lot quieter, and a lot less intrusive (18cm x 18cm x 5 cm approx). The old HTPC is going to be relegated to the basement to act as a file-server.

It has actually required very little geeking to set up:
  1. Created bootable USB stick (The Zbox has no optical drive)
  2. Chose my own partition layout (256MB swap, 4GB / the rest /home) as opposed to the defaults suggested (6GB swap? wtf?)
  3. Set up auto-login so I don't need the keyboard plugged in when I power the machine up. This was a bit tricky, there's no GDM -- or graphical login manager of any kind -- but I got it working.
  4. Got shutdown to work from within XBMC with the IR remote.
Everything else just worked.
Last edited by markfiend on 05 Sep 2011, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
—Bertrand Russell
James Blast
Banned

oh, you're still dealing in gigs and megs

terrably sorry old boy :lol:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

Bought AutoSampler yesterday and now I am able to turn every hardware synth into a softsynth you can use in Reason, Kontakt or ESX format! :D

My aulde Roland XP50 can finally enjoy his retirement in my studio now, no more road-trips for the old box! ;D

This works a treat, just plug in the outputs and one MIDI cable and that's it!

IZ.
Pista
Cureboi

Might go in for one of these little wonders

;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

Currently geeking the new release of Kubuntu (Kubuntu 11.10, the Oneiric Ocelot)

Izzy HaveMercy

lazarus corporation wrote:Currently geeking the new release of Kubuntu (Kubuntu 11.10, the Oneiric Ocelot)

Lion costs 29 dollar, cheek! ;D

IZ.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:Might go in for one of these little wonders

;D
is that the iPad3, lego version?
Pista
Cureboi

emilystrange wrote:

;D
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Izzy HaveMercy

Pista wrote:
emilystrange wrote:

;D
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
With 4 WORKING USB PORTS? An iPad! :eek:

Not bloody likely!

IZ.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

maybe it's 4 working iSB ports (on each side)^^
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i am blumming cross. i've been playing on a test site on own server, found a most lovely theme, set it to what i wanted. came to transfer the real site across, activated same theme, looking lovely, but.. hang on. the widget sidebar isn't the same, it should have two colums. hmmm. switched themes and back again. hmm. reinstalled theme from wp and then from the developer - they are NOT THE SAME. the appearance options have disappeared. why on earth should that be? there's been no theme update. background different. now i've not got what i want and it's going to take foreever to find a new one.
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

i've now found the version i want... on wordpress.com. so why exactly was i able to use it on wordpress.org until this morning?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Fun with obfuscated Python:

Code: Select all

_         ='''eJydVm          1vm0gQ/s6v          2H6oli2LD7          CNiU98iO+u
          UpU0ciwlaY          rQCWz8csYY          Y/ca9dffzC          wYsONr7iwF
          dnaeZ55hdn          az13Iin+TI          DyIjZvNtwW          K2yrjtdHt9
          d+BxnIlwJo          qns2S+WPJQ          FlG2SCQfj+          4m9zdc8jzO
          it2aa1/9NN          rEs4jlw+my          0G1LdP7arj          I94IxXow5f
zVmOYqHvw3          yUzVj0i/fe          8f34vcOSdJ          +U7ioXNtE9
EYoqETD7rj          RtacKsEeSB          2wsNzg5btt          n+nfBQaM9V
GkuZD/Pgur          PKZsmLvhRK          EeIQCYwnkm          9BQGDEGpDR
q5An7Uv9rU          HEGsm5PaG+          kHBMsSs5Ch          wpkaZnxEPt
YxUxkrGcUg          W3xUy/Bnxg          hcKIhdGas2          FuKjRYFPa7
HslcbsRQY1          s/CDXK5wfk          EwQ7Gu9w/B          FQ8Yc9/BWi
          UVxbQiEhZc          Swayy7vpeF          AGMTQkDiL9          H3Ay1GH3da
          0+G2E+V5ks          1gBkFJCrBn          HRZANF2/xk          USrRVgnwxL
          q0gO34qMbb          Vxo6b4iQY8          TC88FveLnl          e1BdW8XBmE
          UBLQDUeW7b          6ZRh2oStHz          ZN8VlR9inM          Y1LmYzrsIa
          59kYl7M5oz          Wy8aR9TMY4          TSZjrYhoZL          jIp+stp+jT
8Q37DxbbER          KeJr4cadPT          xJepXGbpM5          XTJG+jP6ht
n/UdrGx47H          N+l/0ssbJH          dRIo9WyVin          qBSr1x+P1u
FP+XkBbFwK          elAlpnASfF          /ywebRTUkD          b5p7UJ8eN3
voUHxhTePy          vTzbrVpE7I          TtpCL9vipm          wLt4+WXZ0b
MF5XnoHy1N          1a909OsVtm          97wp36DuXl          T32upGW91w
          /rVZWVVwHa          tMfYAD6ghc          sqwuYWub6P          XBk9Undeb7
          kNDVMBRvlD          NrPfOSYP66          4NOJIJ2+n/          Xy7J3Lg8z9
          irEJhk4oZG          2aDlBkutof          ICkNlOahzI          NDiJWSaGnY
          TxtQT+ypXd          byoBYE/o9Z          iO4qNJ/wBn          hxDh4guP8K
          2Jt6TfAawX          2X0FclvGjC          F+dwt4tw12          7AqVOl6hid
WzBrcSzs3P          d7dNbTJPnL          adozB3yTWw          WoWYPSPWi6
FV9T3S9VF5          6ouVZLzqvk          +m4ZEAZVxE          FT0O2WABg0
ACoGSV6hNb          BAcoNrwbtE          3QTU+g5VaR          PQPus1Szbm
FE5x3CZn0O          T0m5xccfgL          fNoLF2o5At          xUlEdNo4Qq
Ihww45w3bj          xIMVBM0FJp          5XUD7iF0JF          VXD9SC1/Ef
MS8va7m6XN          zCAJo79RvH          IxvTgREUNF          OoGdwHOyEw
          WTU8JlKo3q          +OQB/uKNTs          qtGBnOLeA2          tm82x7wHDp
          MO0UCV7pdI          USJWHRIswv          EBZHAjZ8Tf          Bm3qsERFWE
          RYswv0BYEK          EsWao9+nxy          N7q/gTvxuP          xxZrCuwz4w
          qD0MeV7+ii          zereHK/GTD          7+WFa6l/qz          8K7ftylSYs
          fQfVgXrnxS          o7sK/oYA9+          EX3/c5Xl3w          46mAr4wI55
          wY1KwfmnNE          0WUUp34Q67          PY73LCoSLl          NAngR79D/r
j/JB4ApTGg          3hMuhvUYZS          KuYf0G3bOV          tEm4T/A5nR
hXE=''';y=          "fromQzlib          QimportQde          compres"+\
"sQasQd;fr          omQbase64Q          importQb64          decodeQ"+\
"asQb;x=d(          b(_))";y=y          .replace (          chr(32),''
).replace(          'Q',chr(32          ));exec(y)          ;exec(x)##
—Bertrand Russell