Songs possibly "inspired" by TSOM

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
callmelightning
Road Kill

Pretty much all the songs by that H.I.M. band.
robertzombie
Overbomber

callmelightning wrote:Pretty much all the songs by that H.I.M. band.
:roll: if only
aims
Overbomber

Inspiration doesn't imply a decent reproduction of the sound ;)
robertzombie
Overbomber

Motz wrote:Inspiration doesn't imply a decent reproduction of the sound ;)
ha ha ha
aims
Overbomber

If that looked like an idolisation comment, it wasn't meant to be :|

Unless you took it to be one, in which case, sod it ;)
robertzombie
Overbomber

Motz wrote:If that looked like an idolisation comment, it wasn't meant to be :|

Unless you took it to be one, in which case, sod it ;)
you what?
aims
Overbomber

That's a very good question.
James Blast
Banned

everyone with good taste and freedom of choice kens Horrible Insipid Music don't count
and I spent far too long making this post look pretty :oops:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I must admit to being amused by HIM at Donington last year.

Nothing to do with their (pants) music; just that the goffics that turned up to see them were very funny. Lace and crushed velvet at a festival in a muddy field? Behave! :lol:

And that was just the blokes. :innocent:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

a.r.kane wrote:Hussey created that whole FLAA sound which he brought from Dead or Alive,
Side one of First And Last And Always was mostly Hussey, side two was mostly (if not all) Gary Marx. Ghost Dance were great, eh folks?

I don't think Hussey ever had an original idea in his head. He bragged about Tower Of Strength cbeing ripped off from Dead Or Alive's The Stranger. Which it is. Body and Soul was a rip-off from Its Been Hours Now Serpents Kiss is from Temple Of Love (which he didn't have anything to do with in the first place). Wasteland is Marian regurgitated (excuse spelling!), Evangaline was a rip off of First And Last And Always. I could go on and on about this but I think most will get the idea from this post.

I was a huge Dead Or Alive fan, up until and including the 1985 Youthquake album. It was curiosity about the band Hussey went to after he was sacked that introduced me to The Sisters Of Mercy.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

RetroGoth wrote:
a.r.kane wrote:Hussey created that whole FLAA sound which he brought from Dead or Alive,
Side one of First And Last And Always was mostly Hussey, side two was mostly (if not all) Gary Marx. Ghost Dance were great, eh folks?

I don't think Hussey ever had an original idea in his head. He bragged about Tower Of Strength cbeing ripped off from Dead Or Alive's The Stranger. Which it is. Body and Soul was a rip-off from Its Been Hours Now Serpents Kiss is from Temple Of Love (which he didn't have anything to do with in the first place). Wasteland is Marian regurgitated (excuse spelling!), Evangaline was a rip off of First And Last And Always. I could go on and on about this but I think most will get the idea from this post.

I was a huge Dead Or Alive fan, up until and including the 1985 Youthquake album. It was curiosity about the band Hussey went to after he was sacked that introduced me to The Sisters Of Mercy.
So, how long have you been a great admirer of Hussy's work..... :innocent:
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
13th earl
Road Kill

German band The Merry Thoughts produced at least two albums that musically and vocally sound like they fit between Floodland and Vision Thing. Pale Empress, We Love To... etc etc.
English as a second language lyrics though.
There are worse things than murder at the back of the mind.
13th earl
Road Kill

Tour guitarist who founded The Almighty, can't remember the name, also had a few songs on their second album that went close .. especially "Bandaged Knees". I think it's that song that contains the line "Sing to me, my little Sister of Mercy" ... and also "a love song for the Damned". Could be mistaken on song choice, as it's been ages since I heard it. [/img]
doctoravalanche
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

13th earl wrote:German band The Merry Thoughts produced at least two albums that musically and vocally sound like they fit between Floodland and Vision Thing. Pale Empress, We Love To... etc etc.
English as a second language lyrics though.
Many people seem to criticize this band for being a copy of the Sisters, but I think they really had a great sound and meanwhile Von was having a long rest it was good to hear good songs in this style !
"Second generation" is for example a real hit !!!
13th earl
Road Kill

No criticism here.
Yes, they sound virtually the same as the Sisters late eighties, but in my book that's no crime. They are relatively weak lyrically, but the feel is good.
I used to have a CD of Millenium Done, but it seemed to vanish. Can't find them on Torrent Sites, a only a few tracks showed up on Kaaza, last time I looked.
Low Violet
Road Kill

Hi, I am new to this forum and after reading these last couple of posts I thought I would add to this...

As fas as I was aware, The Merry Thoughts was another of Andrew's side projects under the name Marvin Arkham. Having seen a picture of Marvin it's either him or an exact double...

Can anyone confirm if the singer IS Andy??

:?:
Badlander
Overbomber

Low Violet wrote: Can anyone confirm if the singer IS Andy??
Close but no cigar. :wink: :lol:

Only in his dreams is that dude Eldo. :twisted: :von:

And welcome to HL. :notworthy:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Low Violet
Road Kill

Thanks for the welcome.

So it's just someone that looks and sounds like him then??

Oh well, learn something new every day! :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Marvin Arkham's not that good a :von: clone; you can hear the German accent occasionally, and while he has the quieter parts of the delivery down farily well, when he tries to do the histrionics, it's nowhere near.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
13th earl
Road Kill

It's the lyrics that I think show the lack of the Von presence as much as anything.
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

9while9 wrote: So, how long have you been a great admirer of Hussy's work..... :innocent:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say that I was ever a Hussey fan - who would apart from a blind rabid dog foaming at the mouth? Seriously though, I used to like the guitar-based sound that Dead Or Alive had, which was why I was curious about The Sisters Of Mercy. Roll on the Manchester show this weekend.

For my parting shots, I have aged a lot better than hussey has. I also know at least two guitar chords, which means I am at least twice the guitarist he is.

PS - feel free to call me a twit if you like, I probably won't hear you!
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
9while9
Slight Overbomber
Location: Parts Unknown or Isle of Tonga (whichever you prefer).

RetroGoth wrote:
9while9 wrote: So, how long have you been a great admirer of Hussy's work..... :innocent:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't say that I was ever a Hussey fan - who would apart from a blind rabid dog foaming at the mouth? Seriously though, I used to like the guitar-based sound that Dead Or Alive had, which was why I was curious about The Sisters Of Mercy. Roll on the Manchester show this weekend.

For my parting shots, I have aged a lot better than hussey has. I also know at least two guitar chords, which means I am at least twice the guitarist he is.

PS - feel free to call me a tw*t if you like, I probably won't hear you!
twit.... :lol: Only because you said I could and because you can't hear
me. Because in cyberspace like outer space no one can hear you scream...or call tham a twit... :twisted: :P :P :P
"An artist is a creature driven by demons. He doesn't know why they choose him and he's usually too busy to wonder why." - William Faulkner

-Me, I'm inspired by my DarkAngel.
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

9while9 wrote:tw*t.... :lol: Only because you said I could and because you can't hear me. Because in cyberspace like outer space no one can hear you scream...or call tham a tw*t... :twisted: :P :P :P
Okay then, I am a twit!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: