Speculation...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
lachert
Overbomber

The new album is reportedly being recorded in no hurry, and, according to Eldritch, can be completed in a few months if such need arises.
:eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :D :D 8) 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:[/quote]
can be but theres no such need from 16 years... :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

yeah right; and WHEN will the need arise? :roll: :lol:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Motz wrote:Summer b/w Still
Not a bad suggestion, but I'd go for Crash & Burn (possibly the best Sisters song) as the A-side, with Summer or War On Drugs on the flip.

Still as the next A-side. Awesome, awesome track. :von: :notworthy:

Just a shame there's no TOTP for them to trash anymore. :|
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

F**k TOTP reach the masses and have The Sissies do the musical interlude on the National Lottery, it's about as likely as me f**kin' winning it! :twisted: :lol:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Girls and Boys, do you realize... it's been a very, very long time (Floodland era) ago that E himself wrote a song. Just check all these details on the site. Even the 'new' music is not, i repeat *NOT* written by Eldritch.

So Ben can start writing newies on his guitar, Andrew could mumble all over it while someone presses REC but i bet this takes a long and bitter road.

sorry to say that. By the way, THIS is fun:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff ... fmercy.com
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

dinky daisy wrote:Girls and Boys, do you realize... it's been a very, very long time (Floodland era) ago that E himself wrote a song. Just check all these details on the site. Even the 'new' music is not, i repeat *NOT* written by Eldritch.
:eek: You gotta be kidding.

So according to you he did not write Vision Thing? :eek: :roll:

What about War On Drugs and the brilliant second part of UTG?
Etc. :?
"as we walk on the floodland"
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

oops. right. Vision Thing, ribbons, something fast - best songs. But even Suzanna is by Varjak! Probably Von prefers not to record songs that'll not bring him cash flow. Isn't he the one who wants to have a million quid for a record?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Von wrote the lyrics. Varjak wrote the music.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

none of the new songs have enough oomph for a comeback single, as it were.

i can see that the songs we already know may get used for something or other (follow up single, b-side, album track, whatever) once the band have already made their mark with the 1st single, but none of the current crop of songs are of the right calibre for a comeback single.

dont forget, in each phase of the sisters' career, their comeback single has been a huge, ridiculously over the top affair:

floodland-era comeback single: this corrosion

vt-era comeback single: more

post-vt-money spinner single: temple 92

next post-vt-money spinner single: UTG

irrespective of whether you like those songs or not, you can't deny that they are all HUGE, over-produced, excessively bombastic songs. basically, they're so ott they are just silly.

and that's von's modus operandi. he's gone on record several times saying pretty much the same thing.

there's nothing in their current set that is large enough to satisfy von's inner need for the comeback single to act as a "statement of intent". crash and burn nearly gets there, i guess. and snub nose (or whatever) is nearly there, albeit in a very different (and wholly unsuitable) way. nowt else comes close. :|

which is A Good Thing, i guess, because it means they're going to have to come up with a stonker... ...if thats still part of their gameplan.

summer was never silly enough to be a comeback single anyway...
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
James Blast
Banned

Party pooper! :cry:

I still think a proper studio recorded War on Drugs with a clean ending would be a killer.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

James Blast wrote:Party pooper! :cry:
and there was me expecting a "rev'rnd" ;D :lol:

don't get me wrong, all i'm saying is that they will have to come up with something new which is bigger and better than anything they currently have...

which is good for us coz we get another ace tune to sing along to :von: :notworthy:
lachert
Overbomber

for me slept is a hit for summer, so they can quick realize a mcd like this:
slept/ romeo down/ still/ snub nose :P :lol:
long live rock'n'roll
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

lachert wrote:for me slept is a hit for summer, so they can quick realize a mcd like this:
slept/ romeo down/ still/ snub nose :P :lol:
see, i always thought the slow burn of "romeo down" would make a stunning, if slightly understated comeback single, but a lot of people dont seem to "get it" as a song, and as its not technically that HUGE i'd say not

slept? hmm. interesting. with some nice textured guitars, and that prominent 12 string, it could be something special - its certainly a groovy song with an amusing twist in the chorus, which might even get it into the charts (based on a complete misunderstanding of the context) :lol:

but i'm still not convinced...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

i think that "susanne" is a perfect come back single nice,simple song but it's not a hit single. hit single song from current setlist- for my- are: c&b, sleept, and ...will i dream ? ofcourse they could try with a cover but :von: problably will never do this or another r-mix of this corrision 200? or lucretia 2150, god only konws. in that situation we're not a G'n'R fans we are something less...
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Ive always thought of von as quite the studio man. Perhaps he's been working on some stuff that hasnt been played live on the current tours. here's hoping
James Blast
Banned

... Mr. Steinman, we have an Andrew Eldritch on the line...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
pearson
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:... Mr. Steinman, we have an Andrew Eldritch on the line...
:lol: :notworthy:
there's too much blood in my vodkastream

----------------adam pearson------------------
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:
James Blast wrote:Party pooper! :cry:
and there was me expecting a "rev'rnd" ;D :lol:

don't get me wrong, all i'm saying is that they will have to come up with something new which is bigger and better than anything they currently have...

which is good for us coz we get another ace tune to sing along to :von: :notworthy:
Well in fairness, if you compare the studio version of This Corrosion to how it's done live these days, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that one of the current songs could very well be transformed in the process of recording.

The key thing is to have a great big chorus, and now that James Blast has mentioned it, War On Drugs does have one of those. Add in a club-friendly beat and we have us a viable contender.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
vicus

"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Indeed, as mh said, with a bit of studio trickery, I'd say Crash & Burn has completely got what it takes. Bombastic industrial techno rock. Changed me mind for the follow-up, as also pointed out, Susanne would be bang on.

Still, it's all just complete hypothetical bollox innit, none of the above will ever happen. Alas.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
mh
Above the Chemist

Planet Dave wrote:Indeed, as mh said, with a bit of studio trickery, I'd say Crash & Burn has completely got what it takes. Bombastic industrial techno rock. Changed me mind for the follow-up, as also pointed out, Susanne would be bang on.
I thought Crash & Burn as well, after posting. Good pick. :notworthy:
Planet Dave wrote:Still, it's all just complete hypothetical bollox innit
Oh, completely. But the thought of walking into HMV and hearing a new Sisters song blasting out of the speakers still gets me all quivery.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
SomeKindOfStranger

mh wrote: Oh, completely. But the thought of walking into HMV and hearing a new Sisters song blasting out of the speakers still gets me all quivery.
I'd be careful where you take your MP3 player then if I were you!
...clean up in aisle 1....
aims
Overbomber

Slept could actually have what it takes. A song with a repetitive riff, which clocks in at about 3 minutes and brags about shagging a lot of people. What more could you want from a decent pop song? Add a sample from a blue movie at the 2.30 mark and you've got a hit :lol:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Bartoszek wrote: :von:s new project ? :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: