itunes

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Grrr.... :evil:

I used to use MusicMatch as my default player but since it's been purchased by Yahoo! it's turned right and down the hill to the point where it won't install at all on my XP machine.

Some time ago I installed iTunes V6.something and it was fine, except it went through all my mp3s and duplicated the files, sometimes sticking a 1 or a 2 on the end of the file name and other times truncating the file name so that it was now called "I've Slept With All The Girls I".

I went through and corrected this and started to like V6.

So much so that I recommended it for someone who wanted a decent music player and I installed the
James Blast wrote:update, 7.0.1 here
and they are completely happy with it.

I thought "Hmmm, I'll upgrade then" and it's gone through all my mp3s and duplicated the files (again), sometimes sticking a 1 or a 2 on the end of the file name and other times truncating the file name so that it was now called "I've Slept With All The Girls I". :roll: :eek: :evil: :evil:

So, three questions;
  • How do I correct it, preferably easily?
    How do I stop it doing it again?
    Why?
All help appreciated :notworthy:
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Weird.

iTunes likes (but doesn't demand) that your mp3s are nicely arranged in a folder for each artist then within each artist, a subfolder for each album. It's default is that "let iTunes organise my music files" and "copy music files to my default location" (or something similar) are turned on, this is probably why it's duplicated all the files.

I don't really know why it's truncated the file names; on OS9 and previous, Macs used to have maximum file name lengths so it might be a holdover from that. ???

Personally, I just let iTunes do what it wants with my mp3s. I bung them in the iTunes library, let iTunes worry about the file names, and delete the originals. :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

My
markfiend wrote:mp3s are nicely arranged in a folder for each artist then within each artist, a subfolder for each album
, but I think I've sorted why it is doing it, now.

I like to keep all my live stuff in a seperate folder like;

Ginger
Levellers
Live
NFD
Primitives, The

and then in the Live folder have the Artist>Gig subfolders.

I've found an extra iTunes database file lurking in the Live folder and I think this is the cause of my problems.

Does that seem feasable?
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

limur wrote:I've found an extra iTunes database file lurking in the Live folder and I think this is the cause of my problems.

Does that seem feasable?
Yeah it does. I forgot about those pesky database files.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell