Never Land (A Fragment?) [Reissue] - Comments, etc

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
James Blast
Banned

Andrew S wrote:And James didn't notice that the keyboard tinklings actually do come in towards the end, as well as some cymbals that I rather like. Definitely one to put on repeat..... WAHOO. :D :D :D
I was in tears way before then Andrew :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:
Andrew S wrote:And James didn't notice that the keyboard tinklings actually do come in towards the end, as well as some cymbals that I rather like. Definitely one to put on repeat..... WAHOO. :D :D :D
Thanks to the wonderful world of the t'internet i've now heard this and like it very much :D :notworthy:

However, the tinkly synth should have been on from the very start :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:This Corrossion coulda done with the 7" version - it came, it punched us in the face, it left
everything else was frippery
I'd have kinda liked the cassette-single version...which reminds me, I must transfer that onto CD at some point.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
lachert
Overbomber

it sound like a demo. there's a lot of empty space on the beginning but i like it very much :notworthy:
is there female vocals on it or is just too late? :innocent:
long live rock'n'roll
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Demo form but it's still pretty intense. Cheers to my main man for the quick fix before I score my own connection :notworthy:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Andrew S wrote:
weebleswobble wrote:
James Blast wrote:I love this recently freed version, but it lacks the production of (a fragment) - a spot of echo and those keyboard tinklings wouldn't have gone amiss. Aren't the restored lyrics a wonder in themself tho? :D
I will be patient and wait for these but without even listening to it I know that the MasterBlaster speaks the truth. 8)
Already discussed this with him. :) Personal tastes I suppose but this version blows me away. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: I love the extra lyrics and I can now fit the song into the story behind it. Despite knowing the story, I hadn't noticed the relevance of the title but I can be a bit thick sometimes. :oops: It's a rougher mix than 'a fragment' but it's far more complete sounding than the Floodland demos. And James didn't notice that the keyboard tinklings actually do come in towards the end, as well as some cymbals that I rather like. Definitely one to put on repeat..... WAHOO. :D :D :D
Nice to read an enthousiastic report! :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Syberberg wrote:I'd have kinda liked the cassette-single version...which reminds me, I must transfer that onto CD at some point.
I have a (US?) import of the cassette single of This Corrosion which is buried somewhere. Is that the same as what is on the UK version? I always prefered the very long version of this track which is why it never got played very often.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Syberberg

RetroGoth wrote:
Syberberg wrote:I'd have kinda liked the cassette-single version...which reminds me, I must transfer that onto CD at some point.
I have a (US?) import of the cassette single of This Corrosion which is buried somewhere. Is that the same as what is on the UK version? I always prefered the very long version of this track which is why it never got played very often.
I honestly don't know.

Oh, the easy way to spot if something by The Sisters is a US import, it'll have "Electra" on it somewhere.
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

It is Electra. Must dig it out.
On the other hand, the brain of an idiot seldom weighs more than 23oz - Gray's Anatomy
Syberberg

RetroGoth wrote:It is Electra. Must dig it out.
Interesting, I'll give mine a listen to and note down the differences so we can compare and contrast 8)
RetroGoth
Amphetamine Filth

Haven't hooked up my tape deck (or the rest of the hifi!) since I started work on the house so there's an excuse to do it!
spot778
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

RetroGoth wrote:It might have been down to how much could be fitted onto a side of a record? How much can fit on one side of a 33 1/3 RPM piece of vinyl?
From what I've read I believe that record (pun intended) goes to Def Leppard's Hysteria. Something about a new mastering process. I think that album runs about 63mins which was insane compared to 40mins back then.
End of line.
Badlander
Overbomber

spot778 wrote:
RetroGoth wrote:It might have been down to how much could be fitted onto a side of a record? How much can fit on one side of a 33 1/3 RPM piece of vinyl?
From what I've read I believe that record (pun intended) goes to Def Leppard's Hysteria. Something about a new mastering process. I think that album runs about 63mins which was insane compared to 40mins back then.
:eek:
I think I read somewhere that originally 33rpms weren't supposed to contain more than 36' of music and that after that the sound quality would decrease.
The Cure's Disintegration must also be close to 60' (the CD version is over 72' with two extra tracks).
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Big Si
School Bully

Big Si wrote:
James Blast wrote:
Thanks to the wonderful world of the t'internet i've now heard this and like it very much :D :notworthy:

However, the tinkly synth should have been on from the very start :roll:
It's growing on me every time I listen to it, definitely inspired by John Carpenter's synth soundtracks ("Assault on Precinct 13" for one :D ), always felt that this track should be used in the intro and credits on a classic movie.

And I love that extended bass rumble at the very end.

But yes, a little more tinkly synth earlier on would have been nice.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Big Si wrote:It's growing on me every time I listen to it, definitely inspired by John Carpenter's synth soundtracks ("Assault on Precinct 13" for one :D ), always felt that this track should be used in the intro and credits on a classic movie.

And I love that extended bass rumble at the very end.

But yes, a little more tinkly synth earlier on would have been nice.
Preach Bro! ImageImageImage
spot778 wrote:
I think Todd Rundgren's Initiation clocks in at 72 mins
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
H. Blackrose

James Blast wrote:I think Todd Rundgren's Initiation clocks in at 72 mins
Something like that. Because even playing such a packed disk a couple of times would cause significant sound quality deterioration, Todd told his fans to play it once only to dub it to tape.

However, I think a much better idea would have been to ditch the abstruse synth meanderings on side 2 altogether. Side 1 on its own would have been one of his greatest masterpieces.
James Blast
Banned

H. Blackrose wrote:
James Blast wrote:I think Todd Rundgren's Initiation clocks in at 72 mins
Something like that. Because even playing such a packed disk a couple of times would cause significant sound quality deterioration, Todd told his fans to play it once only to dub it to tape.

However, I think a much better idea would have been to ditch the abstruse synth meanderings on side 2 altogether. Side 1 on its own would have been one of his greatest masterpieces.
Thanks HB and very nice to meet a fellow appreciator of Rod Weatgerm. :D
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

The vinyl of Front 242's OFF comes in at well over 60, and Spiritualized's Ladies & Germs was also released on a single vinyl (can;t remember how long that one was though).

I rather like the full Never Land. Listened a few times now, and I think both versions have a valid place in the scheme of things. The 'fragment' will always be the perfect closer to Floodland, and nothing should change that, but the full one stands up well as an extra part of the story.

Having Emma on CD as well is always nice.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

This tune is just so

Perfect...

ANd I disagree with tinkly bits earlier blabla... let it build up until the end... Only the drums go too loud in the end IMO...

But mebbies a wee synth string pad at the end for the EXTRA atmos....

Hmmmmm....

Should I? :twisted:

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Big Si
School Bully

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:This tune is just so

Perfect...

ANd I disagree with tinkly bits earlier blabla... let it build up until the end... Only the drums go too loud in the end IMO...

Hmmmmm....

IZ.
Don't you dare, you've ruined enough classic sisters tunes already! :wink: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
James Blast
Banned

Perfect...

Hmmmmm....

IZ.
NOPE! it needs some Belgian keyboard tinkley replication, none of your 'string pad' Nac Macdoobry Feegleness.

Tis heresy!!!
Nae guid will come o'it I tell ye!

Wailey, wailey, waily! ;D
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

James Blast wrote:

Perfect...

Hmmmmm....

IZ.
NOPE! it needs some Belgian keyboard tinkley replication, none of your 'string pad' Nac Macdoobry Feegleness.

Tis heresy!!!
Nae guid will come o'it I tell ye!

Wailey, wailey, waily! ;D
You on that Special Sheep Liniment again, James? ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:You on that Special Sheep Liniment again, James?
try and spot when I'm off it? :wink:
~ Peter Steele
James Blast
Banned

still listening to it...

AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU!
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

James Blast wrote:still listening to it...

AND SO SHOULD ALL OF YOU!
:wink: :innocent:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis