Oh dear what happened to the old days???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
allfear
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Far as im concerned Ben and Chris are the best thing thats happened to the sisters since 1990.

there fab

Matt (still waiting for my invite to join lol!)
James Blast
Banned

allfear wrote:Far as im concerned Ben and Chris are the best thing thats happened to the sisters since 1990.
nae arguement here 8)
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

As guitar players they are not good enough to be in the sisters. Considering those who have gone before, and those available, why choose these two?

slicepack wrote:As guitar players they are not good enough to be in the sisters.
Hmmm. Chris 'Veteran of Several Bands and Tours' May or Gary 'Can't Play Chords' Marx? If 'good' meant anything, there wouldn't be any Sisters.

Never mind that it's a bullshit argument anyway, what with Chris and Ben being way beyond competent axemen.
Badlander
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:As guitar players they are not good enough to be in the sisters. Considering those who have gone before, and those available, why choose these two?
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Do you seriously think that the same That Guitarist who couldn't play Temple of love was a better guitarist than Ben and Chris ? And Ben Gunn was no guitar hero (to say the least) either. :roll:

Edit : I almost forgot Patsy "didn't-play-a-single-note-on-the-record" Morrison and Tony "dead weight" James. So many great musicians. :eek:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Ben & Chris were hired solely for the tour.

Badlander wrote: Edit : I almost forgot Patsy "didn't-play-a-single-note-on-the-record" Morrison and Tony "dead weight" James. So many great musicians. :eek:
I can't believe anyone still gives that bitchy story credence. Pat Morrison was a more than competent bass-player with Gun Club and then The Damned, that "she didn't play a note" tale is just Eldo's way of satisfying his ego over Patsy preferring Dave Vanian, and getting out of paying her any money.
Badlander
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:Ben & Chris were hired solely for the tour.
How do you know that ? :roll:
The official site wrote:The Sisters Of Mercy are
Andrew Eldritch vocals
Doktor Avalanche drums etc
Nurse nurse to the Doktor
Chris Catalyst guitar and backing vocals
Ben Christo guitar and backing vocals
:innocent: :von:
christophe
Overbomber

DeWinter wrote:
Badlander wrote: Edit : I almost forgot Patsy "didn't-play-a-single-note-on-the-record" Morrison and Tony "dead weight" James. So many great musicians. :eek:
I can't believe anyone still gives that bitchy story credence. Pat Morrison was a more than competent bass-player with Gun Club and then The Damned, that "she didn't play a note" tale is just Eldo's way of satisfying his ego over Patsy preferring Dave Vanian, and getting out of paying her any money.
I think, what he wanted to say was she didn’t had any input in any of the songs on Floodland.
Around that time she was the only band member and she might have played the lines but I’m damn sure it was Von who wrote them (with a bit help of Jim Steinman behind the buttons)
Another Shade of You.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I dont really think it matters what the backing band are. I consider the Sisters to be Eldritch, the rest are just along to help realise the sound.
But, as a Sputnik fan I object to Tony James being referred to as "dead weight" in my opinion and in the bits I have read he did what was required of him - he was the bass player what the fu*k do want him to do
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
Andrew Eldritch vocals
The Sisters of Mercy are an old man and a drum machine. Ben & Chris have moved onto other projects - or do you really think Von is paying them a retainer until they make a new album in 2020??
Banned

I remember Tony James from Generation X days, he wrote most of the songs. His basslines on VT are one of the things I reall love about that album.

slings and arrows will no doubt follow
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I remember Tony James from Generation X days, he wrote most of the songs. His basslines on VT are one of the things I reall love about that album.
Still, he's about as elegant as a freight train in terms of his bass playing. To call him a "good" musician is very far-fetched, unless you use the word "good" in a very weird kind of way. :P
But if by "good" you mean "technically sound", then Tony James was definitely not a good bass player. 8)
Last edited by Badlander on 27 Dec 2006, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Badlander
Overbomber

slicepack wrote: The Sisters of Mercy are an old man and a drum machine. Ben & Chris have moved onto other projects - or do you really think Von is paying them a retainer until they make a new album in 2020??
Facts please, not conjecture. :innocent:
James Blast
Banned

Relax Eric, as a bass player of limited talent myself, I can appreciate Mr. James' playing on VT and he really knew how to throw a 'rock shape' live.
CF.
their Miami 1990 gig is one of my favourite Sisters DVDs - FACT! ;D
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

My only point is, if TJ was "good" enough to be in the Sisters, then so are Ben & Chris. 8)

BTW, the 90-91 line-up did rock ! :twisted:
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

Badlander wrote:
slicepack wrote: The Sisters of Mercy are an old man and a drum machine. Ben & Chris have moved onto other projects - or do you really think Von is paying them a retainer until they make a new album in 2020??
Facts please, not conjecture. :innocent:
I have you given you the pertinent information. What you choose to do with it is not my concern.

Slcpk
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:Relax Eric, as a bass player of limited talent myself, I can appreciate Mr. James' playing on VT and he really knew how to throw a 'rock shape' live.
CF.
their Miami 1990 gig is one of my favourite Sisters DVDs - FACT! ;D
But you know, I can't imagine anyone getting away with that look in any previous TSOM incarnation.
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:
Badlander wrote:
Andrew Eldritch vocals
The Sisters of Mercy are an old man and a drum machine. Ben & Chris have moved onto other projects - or do you really think Von is paying them a retainer until they make a new album in 2020??
As the SIsters are Andrews part time job, one can´t expect Ben&Chris to take it as full time.
As Chris was a member since 2005 he has been on two tours allready, and that means he didn´t feel mistreated by "the old man" on the first. Further, a hired hand probably wouldn´t show this amount of interest in the fans as Ben&Chris did, which makes me think that if they quit their Sisters engagement it´ll be for good reasons (other than disinterest).
There´s no reason to believe that they did, as their own projects have been there before they joined our God Squad.
:wink:
There is shadow under this red rock
mh
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:
allfear wrote:Far as im concerned Ben and Chris are the best thing thats happened to the sisters since 1990.
nae arguement here 8)
None here either. :notworthy:

Maybe tied for 1st place with getting away from East West

On the whole "musical talent" and "playing ability" thing, I thought it was relatively old news that how groovy it sounds is just as important as (if not more important than) technical proficiency.

Otherwise we'd all be listening to Eric Clapton and Sting. :|
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
James Blast wrote:
nae arguement here 8)
None here either. :notworthy:

Maybe tied for 1st place with getting away from East West

On the whole "musical talent" and "playing ability" thing, I thought it was relatively old news that how groovy it sounds is just as important as (if not more important than) technical proficiency.

Otherwise we'd all be listening to Eric Clapton and Sting. :|
I think it's sad that it now apparently doesn't matter who is playing guitar in TSOM.
Overbomber

slicepack wrote:
I think it's sad that it now apparently doesn't matter who is playing guitar in TSOM.
It does matter. By now Andrew allways found musicians that suited the role.
Maybe back in the mid-eighties they were more intense, maybe Andrew´s voice could take more..
Nowadays, I guess they are the better party.
I have to say "guess" as I didn´t see them live back then.. alas.
Anyway, a futile topic, actually. They move on, as ever, wherever
slicepack
Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote: Anyway, a futile topic, actually. They move on, as ever, wherever
Oh come now, this forum is an exercise in futility.
Banned

got your grumpy underpants on Mr. slicepack?
~ Peter Steele
eotunun
Overbomber

Allthough I must admit he might have a point there.
Top entertaining futility.. :lol: