A Merciful Release - 26/02/07

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Stoat Grinder
Road Kill

Well Amazon has it down as being on the Rhino label as per the recent re-issues. So I cant see it being new material unless :von: and WEA have kissed and made up, and we all know how likely that is !!!!
Unspoilt By Progress
aims
Overbomber

Dark wrote:I'm sure there's already been a 3-albums-in-a-box release already. :urff:
And a tautological release tautologically? :innocent:

Doesn't matter anyhow. This one would have the remasters in it, naturally.
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

My guess, for what it's worth:
  • Some Girls...
  • A Slight case...
  • Either
    1. A live CD sourced from a gig recording gathering dust in WEA's vaults, or
    2. A compilation CD containing various studio outtakes of the type used to bulk out the 3 recently re-released CDs. Plus Afterhours.
That would round off WEA's cash-in of the Sisters recent tour, from a cynical back-catalogue marketeer's point-of-view.
James Blast
Banned

It's the Never Land (Jazz Odyssey) we've all been waiting for. ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
mh
Above the Chemist

James Blast wrote:It's the Never Land (Jazz Odyssey) we've all been waiting for. ;D
On only 3 CDs?

Come on...!

For what it's worth, I'm with LazCorp on this one. There's shag all money to be made from a box set of the 3 LPs. It it was being released this week, then yeh, I'd say that's what it is, get all the 30 and 40 something Sisters fans in time for the Chrimbo market. But the timing is way out for that, and no matter how chronically incompetent Yvonne may claim WEA to be, Rhino ain't WEA.

SGWBM and ASCOOB are deleted, think about that.
The 4 Body and Soul tracks were left off the reissues.

Box sets are either aimed explicitly at the Chrimbo market (which this one isn't) or are stuffed chock-full of good stuff for the fans.

OK, I can see how on account of the fact that we're used to being disappointed there may be negative waves going about here, but I for one genuinely have a good feeling about this, and I think we may well get a rather nice package here.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

for £15.00 or whatever a shot {£15 is the cheapest i've found so far}, it's probably the leftovers of the reissues shoved in a cardboard sleeve just like they did with the Austrailian three cd collection a few years back :?
Goths have feelings too
Stumpy Pete
Road Kill
Location: Eating a pile of Meat. But I came in to wash my Feet. Famous Potatoes!

mh wrote:
James Blast wrote:It's the Never Land (Jazz Odyssey) we've all been waiting for. ;D
On only 3 CDs?

Come on...!

For what it's worth, I'm with LazCorp on this one. There's shag all money to be made from a box set of the 3 LPs. It it was being released this week, then yeh, I'd say that's what it is, get all the 30 and 40 something Sisters fans in time for the Chrimbo market. But the timing is way out for that, and no matter how chronically incompetent Yvonne may claim WEA to be, Rhino ain't WEA.

SGWBM and ASCOOB are deleted, think about that.
The 4 Body and Soul tracks were left off the reissues.

Box sets are either aimed explicitly at the Chrimbo market (which this one isn't) or are stuffed chock-full of good stuff for the fans.

OK, I can see how on account of the fact that we're used to being disappointed there may be negative waves going about here, but I for one genuinely have a good feeling about this, and I think we may well get a rather nice package here.
I want you to be right. I do. But I can't let myself believe this, even if it makes sense. Which it does. No, I am afraid that this will be the three reissues stuck in a box with a laser etched hologram of the drummers pubic hair :eek: thrown in for good measure. I'd love it if it were true. Hell, I ordered the reissues at least a month in advance. I'd order this box set right now if I thought it would be...anything at all. I have no hope.
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am
I like to eat brains from a can
The other day I ate some yams
I'm Stumpy Pete oh yes I am!

I'm Stumpy Pete
So kiss my feet
They're made of wheat
I'm Stumpy Pete!
aims
Overbomber

£15.00? They're £8.99 in HMV in Liverpool :|
Drenchrom
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Called my friend who runs a record shop and he has no details other than what we already know. He's going to ask the rep (who also doesn't know the details at the moment) to find out.
But i would have thought it would be the 2 compilations plus a CD of extra bits and pieces.

matt..
ruffers
Overbomber

Drenchrom wrote:Called my friend who runs a record shop and he has no details other than what we already know. He's going to ask the rep (who also doesn't know the details at the moment) to find out.
But i would have thought it would be the 2 compilations plus a CD of extra bits and pieces.

matt..
Sad to say, this sounds about right to me.

Bear in mind that, in general, we Heartlanders are the cynical ones who have most of this stuff. There's a whole world out there.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
robertzombie
Overbomber

OK, let this about this logically...

SGWBM and ASCOOB have both been deleted. So we're presuming that they will be Disc 1 and 2.

Then Disc 3 will either be:
Collection of demos/rarities
Collection of live recordings/whole gig
Shot 2.0 DVD (maybe with some extra bits)

In a cardboard slipbox thing. Hopefully the CDs will be digipak :)

I think it's unlikely that disc3 will be a dvd, if they were going to release a dvd they'd probably do it seperately to make a bit more money (some people might like a DVD, but not want the other 2 cds).
Mothra

A quick look at Rhino's catalogue shows that they don't seem to be in the habit of stuffing all their releases by one artist into a slipcase and calling it a box set. Echo & the Bunnymen and the Cure are 2 bands where Rhino have released expanded editions of their vintage albums, and also a box set containing totally different material.

I think (hope!) they know what they're doing!!!
czuczu
Overbomber

Cross your fingers and hope for the radio sessions?
mh
Above the Chemist

Mothra wrote:A quick look at Rhino's catalogue shows that they don't seem to be in the habit of stuffing all their releases by one artist into a slipcase and calling it a box set. Echo & the Bunnymen and the Cure are 2 bands where Rhino have released expanded editions of their vintage albums, and also a box set containing totally different material.

I think (hope!) they know what they're doing!!!
There's another argument in favour of it not being the 3 LPs. :D

Looking at ASCOOB, there's a lot of stuff on it that doesn't actually need to be there now.

The versions of Walk Away, NTTC, Dominion/Mother Russia, Doctor Jeep (Ext) are now all on the official LPs. (D/MR was always there even). The version of TC on it has no particular reason to exist either. More is the very same as the LP version.

So plenty of scope for a single CD to mop up the remainder of the official releases, and then the 3rd disk can be something special.

Rhino normally do 4 disk box sets, so a combo DVD of Wake/Shot (plus the missing 84/85 vids) would be nice indeed.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Badlander
Overbomber

Mothra wrote:A quick look at Rhino's catalogue shows that they don't seem to be in the habit of stuffing all their releases by one artist into a slipcase and calling it a box set. Echo & the Bunnymen and the Cure are 2 bands where Rhino have released expanded editions of their vintage albums, and also a box set containing totally different material.
You're right about Rhino, but the Cure deluxe reissues have nothing to do with this label whatsoever. The Cure are on Polydor/Universal, while Rhino belongs to Warner.
The main reason why these records are so good is that the band (which means in that particular case Robert Smith) was involved. :innocent:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
hallucienate
Overbomber

Was Wake released on WEA or some other label? I can't remember and I'm not at home right now.

I'm not getting my hopes up for this release.
Mothra

You're right about Rhino, but the Cure deluxe reissues have nothing to do with this label whatsoever. The Cure are on Polydor/Universal, while Rhino belongs to Warner.
The main reason why these records are so good is that the band (which means in that particular case Robert Smith) was involved. :innocent:[/quote]

Didn't realise that (and I got most of them!), but all listed on the Rhino web site, hence confusion. Until the re-issues, I only owned the basic versions of the 3 albums and the 2 comps, so the bonus tracks effectively made up an albums worth of "new" material for me. Would love to see this 3 disc set containing the Peel sessions/remaining b-sides/something live in good looking packaging, but am keeping expectation low.

The pre-order pricing of it doesn't promise to much. The Bunnymen & Cure boxes were/are much more expensive. Obviously the packaging has something to do with this, but £15 doesn't suggest a 4 disc extravaganza to me (boo).
kazamel
Amphetamine Filth

hallucienate wrote:Was Wake released on WEA or some other label? I can't remember and I'm not at home right now.
Wake was done by I think Polygram. Not WEA, I'm sure of that. They didn't feel to take the risk...
I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven. Can you hear it? It's like when you put your head to the grass and you can hear the growin' and you can hear the insects.
Badlander
Overbomber

kazamel wrote:
hallucienate wrote:Was Wake released on WEA or some other label? I can't remember and I'm not at home right now.
Wake was done by I think Polygram. Not WEA, I'm sure of that. They didn't feel to take the risk...
the official site wrote:The band was on WEA Records at the time. Why was 'Wake' released by Polygram?

WEA didn't want to fund the project.
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
hallucienate
Overbomber

Badlander wrote:
kazamel wrote:
the official site wrote:The band was on WEA Records at the time. Why was 'Wake' released by Polygram?

WEA didn't want to fund the project.
Thanks!

So that means Rhino probably doesn't have easy access to it and it will probably not be in this box set.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

mh
Above the Chemist

Badlander wrote:
The main reason why these records are so good is that the band (which means in that particular case Robert Smith) was involved. :innocent:
Maybe Von not being involved might be a sign of hope here... :innocent:
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

hallucienate wrote:Was Wake released on WEA or some other label?
Other label. I haven't got the original but it might have been Polygram........Different label than WEA for sure...
"as we walk on the floodland"
James Blast
Banned

Polygram yep, then Channel 5
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mothra

The main reason why these records are so good is that the band (which means in that particular case Robert Smith) was involved. :innocent:[/quote]
Maybe Von not being involved might be a sign of hope here... :innocent:[/quote]

Thats a good point, even if made in jest!
Quiet day at work, so have been looking around the Rhino site, seeing if any info there. There isn't. But, they did have this to say (though it probably relates more to multi-artist compilations)
"Once the ideal artist and track selection is achieved, Rhino's legal department gets busy on the process of licensing them for release. Which isn't always easy.

A&R's list of tracks, plus alternates, are divided among the legal department's staff. Our requests for licensing of the masters are then sent to the various record labels, song publishers, or whoever controls the material, along with a royalty and advance offer.

If licensing of a track is denied, we press them for a reason why. Was it an artist denial because they didn't want to be part of the package? Is there a conflicting package that's already out? Are there certain restrictions? Maybe they don't even have the rights for the U.S. anymore. So we don't just accept a no. Often, whatever problem exists is easily surmountable."

I know its been discussed in some depth as to who owns the rights to what part of the catalogue, so here's hoping no spanners can be thrown in the works. Certainly looks promising in terms of combining radio sessions (BBC owned?), Wake (Polygram/Channel 5), and the Warners catalogue.