which song offers hope to you?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Big Si
School Bully

Nine While Nine - for heartache.

You Could be the One - 'cos it's fun! :D

Never Land (No Longer A Fragment) - it's pure orgiastic bliss! ;D :D

Snub Nose (Top Nite Out) - it rocks like a bastid! :twisted:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Eva
Intercontinental Assassin

Any Sisters song offers hope to me.

Even in the saddest - like NWN or SKOS (or even Emma, but that's not a Sisters song in the strict sense) - you'll always find the theme of life going on despite everything, and of the character desperately clinging to that on-going of life instead of putting an end to it all. I find that very hopeful and comforting. Whereas Joy Division offering lines like "Where will it end?" rather drag me further down. And I love them for that...

Besides, there are Sisters songs like Adrenochrome or TOL that for my taste contain a certain amount of anger combined with determination, and that aspect too offers hope - or at least energy if you like....

That much for a monday morning... :wink:
You can't fix stupid.
Badlander
Overbomber

Can't think of any Sisters song that I would spontaneously associate with hope. These songs can help relieve the pain, boredom, sadness, whatever, because they're true. They have a way of telling you how you feel better than you can do yourself, and that's talent.
But hope ?
Kate Bush and Bruce Springsteen (among others) give me hope.
The Girls aren't innocent enough to offer me hope. They work on a whole different level.
Call me girlie. :oops: :lol: 8)
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
King of Byblos
Amphetamine Filth

hope
hope
in a sisters song
...only the hope that the world won't blow up before the end of the album, which Von makes sound highly unlikely.

:)
nine while nine, hope my dealer turns up
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don't exactly know what they are!"
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Eva wrote:(or even Emma, but that's not a Sisters song in the strict sense)
You're right, of course, but I tend to think of it as such (hence my mention of it in this thread) because it's just been made very much a different animal when done by them. The mood is so much bleaker and, to me, more harrowing than the original and it just takes it to another place entirely.

Strictly, though, you are indeed on the money......
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Eva

@ Carpathian Psychonaut: It had slipped my attention that you had mentioned Emma... :oops: But I agree completely with you. :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
Carpathian Psychonaut

Eva wrote:@ Carpathian Psychonaut: It had slipped my attention that you had mentioned Emma... :oops: But I agree completely with you. :notworthy:
No problem !
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

"Besides, there are Sisters songs like Adrenochrome or TOL that for my taste contain a certain amount of anger combined with determination, and that aspect too offers hope - or at least energy if you like.... "

Fair enough. It's punk. No future energy...
guns & cars & accidents
Eva

dinky daisy wrote:Fair enough. It's punk. No future energy...
I think of punk as rather life-approving despite the whole "no future" issue. There's a lot of humor and/or anger in the music, and neither go well with a depression. Besides, wherever there's anger, there's a certain amount of a will to fight, which in itself is a sign of hope. :P
You can't fix stupid.
_emma_
Overbomber

Eva - this is it, exactly. :notworthy: The surviving in spite of anything. No matter how arrogant and selfish the songs may sound, they're the evidence that the rabbit really has metal interior and it's the car that ends up worse. :von:
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

dinky daisy wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, girls & boys, what Sisters' song does involve hope for you? Do the lyrics offer anything else than sharpness, sick humor, deep sex, violent pleausures and car rides? OR don't you care (like me)?
This Corrosion. "I've bled all I can, I won't bleed no more..." Hope in a vengeful point of view.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm still here ;-)

Jan
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
James Blast
Banned

nice to see you again Jan :D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:nice to see you again Jan :D
Nice :D I still remember having a great time with some people from Heartland, people I call "friend".

Jan
"For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." (John F. Kennedy, 1963)
Eva

_emma_ wrote:The surviving in spite of anything.
Voilà, you name it. :notworthy:
You can't fix stupid.
James Blast
Banned

Yeah, we have a great, in fact the best time when we meet up Jan, you should try it more often. :D

Can I get a witness...? :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Jan
Amphetamine Filth

James Blast wrote:Can I get a witness...? :notworthy:
Anyone you can find. ;-)

Jan
Multifaceted
Road Kill

I think almost all of their songs can be "hopeful"--or saddening, for that matter--depending on my mood at the time. :lol: Again, they're "hopeful" in the sense that they're realistic--the usual "uplifting" stuff doesn't really do anything for me.

Of course, I've always interpreted "Good Things" and "On The Wire" as being hopeful... er... don't ask why.

And I first listened to The Sister's version of Emma while I was on meds that made me crazily depressed. Needless to say, I didn't find the humor in it then. My life has been scarred forever. :eek:
bushman*pm

i personally dont look for hope in my choice of music.
its there to entertain me whatever my mood and the choices reflect that, my choice of sounds are usually to compound my frustration with the songs rage and anger!
sort of 'im p!ssed off and this will make me even madder'
stop looking for hope cos we're all doomed to the spiraling singlelet of our own eventual destruction!
:von: :innocent: ;D :evil:
LAND ROVER: THE BEAST FOUR BY FOUR BY FEAR! KICKS THE ARSE OFF RICEBURNERS!
eotunun
Overbomber

bushman*pm wrote: ..stop looking for hope cos we're all doomed to the spiraling singlelet of our own eventual destruction!
:von: :innocent: ;D :evil:
That´s all due to your monster doggy, I bet..
:lol:
There is shadow under this red rock
EmeraldSignal
Amphetamine Filth

The song which offers me most hope is the Sisters' 'Gimme Shelter'

'Love sisters it's just a shot away!'

meaning ( for me of course) for things to get better it's gotta get a whole lot worse.......I'm talking about war man!

Apart from that, the Sisters' songs (early of course) transport me to a different world - 'far beyond the black horizon beyond the things you know'

and by the way.........'any girls want their flowers pressed' is a great chat up line. :D
James Blast
Banned

EmeraldSignal wrote:The song which offers me most hope is the Sisters' 'Gimme Shelter'
... ehm, better have a word with Mr. M Jagger about that :innocent:
~ Peter Steele
_emma_
Overbomber

EmeraldSignal wrote:'Love sisters it's just a shot away!'

meaning ( for me of course) for things to get better it's gotta get a whole lot worse.......I'm talking about war man!
I've always heard it as "after a shot, we start to believe in the existence of love". Which is (kind of) hopeful.
Eva

EmeraldSignal wrote:Apart from that, the Sisters' songs (early of course) transport me to a different world - 'far beyond the black horizon beyond the things you know'
That's one of my favourite Sisters' lines... :D
You can't fix stupid.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Well.....I would have to chose "Summer". Not because of the lyrics but because of the meaning this song has for me after the Cologne 2006 gig in combination with the 12th of June 2006.
"as we walk on the floodland"
aims
Overbomber

Still.

It gives me hope that Messrs Christo and Catalyst are serious about new writing and recording endeavours under the banner of the Sisters. Aside from that, I'd say Summer, mostly because of an incident which those involved refer to as "Summer"...more amusing than hopeful though, to be honest.