Ministry : creative low point ?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

Rio Grande Blood
That album sucks balls. Al should lay off the partisan politics and distorted guitars.
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I love most of the back catalogue, like some of the rest and hate just one - "With Sympathy". Even Ol' Buck has had it struck from the discography and will refer to it only, if pushed, as "the abortion". "Twitch" rarely gets a play but isn't as bad.

"Rape...", "Mind..." and "Psalm..." were a fantastic solid as you get triple punch. All excellent and all regulars here at Carpathian Towers.

"Filth Pig" took me a stupid amount of time to 'get' but eventually I can say that I like it a lot. Not love it, that's pushing things, but certainly like it.

"Dark Side" is an odd one. Some listens it strikes me as a real hotch-potch of slightly realised ideas but if you're in the right mood then it's excellent.

"Animositisomina" and "Molé" excited me when first released but have been largely forgotten now by me. Same looks to have happened to "Rio Grande" too. It all sounds full of life but just merges into a bit of a blur. It seems that Ministry's last ever studio album, "The Last Sucker", may have this curse as it's the closure of the anti-Bush trilogy.

High point, therefore, is the 1988 to 1992 run of belters and this latter run of fast/loud/anti-Bush ones are my low point - not so much for the sound (that would have been the first one that snook out) but for the fact it's a massive push of bluster over substance. sultan2075 mentioned "boring" for this phase and I'd have to say I agree..........
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

This, my dearest people, together with THIS, are two of the songs that would have been made 20 years earlier by Slayer or Testament, but they didn't have the BALLS to do so! :twisted:

Now gerroffmylaaarnd, or you will be severely punished, by death of double shotgun blast, Redneck Rampage style!

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Nic
Slight Overbomber

Grison wrote: I like most of their stuff, not "twitch" and the stuff before that one, though.
"Filth pig" is not so good either.
Best song on Filth Pig is in my opinion the Dylan cover... :|

But that is really good instead. :eek:
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
nick the stripper
Slight Overbomber

@Carpathian Psychonaut - I would say that whilst "With Sympathy" is somewhat crap, it had some good tracks. "Revenge" and "Everyday is Halloween" (doesn't appear on WS) are some of the best synthpop I have ever heard. I would have to say that "Twitch" is now my favourite Ministry album though, and that although Psalm was OK, as I have said before, it was the beginning of the end.

@Izzy - The only good thing about those links is that they lead to THIS. :twisted:
Dr. Moody

Lay lady Lay is one of their many great moments, dont actually mind most of Filth Pig,but I have definitely wasted money on the more recent efforts.I think Al has become very one dimensional and a pit of a parody of himself.Paul Barker although also responsible for some of the rubbish seemed to reel Al in a bit from his own hype.The anger although sent in the right direction seems a little schoolboyish .George Bush masks aint gonna bring down the government.

:wink:
James Blast
Banned

a Jello "Larry the Lamb" Biafra mask would have been better ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Carpathian Psychonaut

Dr. Moody wrote:I think Al has become very one dimensional and a pit of a parody of himself.Paul Barker although also responsible for some of the rubbish seemed to reel Al in a bit from his own hype.
Word.
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
James Blast
Banned

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:
Dr. Moody wrote:I think Al has become very one dimensional and a pit of a parody of himself.Paul Barker although also responsible for some of the rubbish seemed to reel Al in a bit from his own hype.
Word.
Bollocks! him and Paul just need to start shooting up again. We deserve it! ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

1. Chris Connelly *rules*. "Whiplash Boychild" kicks major ass, imho.

2. Paul Barker is a Very Nice Man. I can attest to this, having met him the night of December 9, 2006, during his guest dj stint at a club here in town. I also got to breakfast with the man at 6:30 the following morning. Very civilized.

3. Imagine Ministry *and* RevCo on the same bill in 2006, at a killer show in the town where the whole WaxTrax! juggernaut started rolling. Jealous, yet? Then imagine hanging out with a certain Luc Van Acker later, and being smushed against him as he was being driven back to his hotel in the wee hours of a Chicago morning, whilst "38! 38!" was being yelled quite loudly out the windows of a small car...

Oh, yes.... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
therealsamdevos
Road Kill

SINsister wrote:3. Imagine Ministry *and* RevCo on the same bill in 2006, at a killer show in the town where the whole WaxTrax! juggernaut started rolling. Jealous, yet? Then imagine hanging out with a certain Luc Van Acker later, and being smushed against him as he was being driven back to his hotel in the wee hours of a Chicago morning, whilst "38! 38!" was being yelled quite loudly out the windows of a small car...
imagine sharing a stage with RevCo :twisted:
imagine sharing a bottle of wodka and some X with Al at Dour festival
or imagine going on a serious drinking binge with LVA, R23, etc. after a certain gig in Brussels 8)

pff, been there, done that,
what's next... :von:

BTW: "Everyday is like Halloween" is CRAP eighties synth-pop !!!
and yes, i have it like i have everything by Ministry but it really sucks eggs...

and Al realises that he has milked the bush-cow for too long and has decided to stop making records with Ministry...
greets

samdevos
Badlander
Overbomber

therealsamdevos wrote: and Al realises that he has milked the bush-cow for too long and has decided to stop making records with Ministry...
Care to elaborate, plize ? :innocent:

In my darkest moments, I tend to think that even pre-Twitch Ministry is better than the sheer emptiness of the Dark side - Animosity era. :eek: :lol: :wink:
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
Izzy HaveMercy

Badlander wrote:
therealsamdevos wrote: and Al realises that he has milked the bush-cow for too long and has decided to stop making records with Ministry...
One album after Rio Grande Blood and Ministry is History. Al's words.

Oh, and Sam, I keep forgetting that you and DevSym will SHARE the stage with RevCo in April, ya bastid! :twisted: Good, luck, I'll be there as well, of course... mebbies also in the backstage ;D

IZ.
therealsamdevos
Road Kill

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:
Badlander wrote:
One album after Rio Grande Blood and Ministry is History. Al's words.

Oh, and Sam, I keep forgetting that you and DevSym will SHARE the stage with RevCo in April, ya bastid! :twisted: Good, luck, I'll be there as well, of course... mebbies also in the backstage ;D

IZ.
indeed Al's statement went something like: "when bush isn't president anymore i can finally retire..."

mebbies in the backstage but more likely at the bar :)

James Blast: indeed they should just shoot up...
(P. Barker isn't in Ministry anymore, now is he???)
greets

samdevos
Izzy HaveMercy

therealsamdevos wrote:(P. Barker isn't in Ministry anymore, now is he???)
AFAIK Al booted him out before he started on Molé...

IZ.
James Blast
Banned

His bass playing on Linger Ficking Good was ace n'all. :(
~ Peter Steele
therealsamdevos
Road Kill

James Blast wrote:His bass playing on Linger Ficking Good was ace n'all. :(
indeed 8)
greets

samdevos