Most 'nondescript' Sisters song?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

And Chris or Robochris or is it Robochrist? :lol:

He's known to have said that all the gigs of last tour were "the best gig of the tour", so I kinda know he rated Paris as one of the best ones of the tour, although if checking the history of HL you could call me a liar.

What's caught my attention is if TSOM will be seven this tour does it mean we will all go to heaven, as I've already booked my ticket next to the meerkat and EvilBastard going to hell, so who knows what this year will bring with seven on stage!
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
Mr. Wah
Amphetamine Filth

MadameButterfly wrote: ...in Paris on the tour, was it last year? :lol: when :von: stole the stage with "I was wrong" it sent shivers up my spine and caused tears to my eyes. At that moment that song was :von: at his most emotional stance I have ever seen. :von:

Listening to it now as a recorded version I understand the views as an okay song but *yawn*, although I felt that emotion whatever it may have been and that evening in that crowd it was f**king awesome! :notworthy:
Hello MB. Long time no see!

I do agree that I Was Wrong is much better live. It works nicely near the end of a gig just before everything rushes towards a howling climax.

I've never thought that a) the recorded song, as appears on VT, is particularly strong overall and b) that the lyrics are nearly as clever as people seem to think. I think 'nondescript' is quite a fair assessment.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i love i was wrong,though i'm not so keen on the live rendition (obviousy a different matter when you're actually there). the full-sounding production is gorgeous. it has personal connations for me (as per most sisters tunes) which at the time were very painful and now just make me feel happy to have left behind the person involved.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Episkopos
Road Kill

I'm gonna get shot for this: Walk Away. It is, to steal a phrase, pish: Eldritch trying to write a straightforward verse-chorus-verse unit shifter. Someone back up there said Doctor Jeep (pretty nondescript itself) comes, does its thing and goes without ever making a dent: that's what Walk Away does to me.

Will I Dream sounds great, but I agree it's bloody lazy writing (like a lot of the new stuff: tastes great, less filling).
Kiss me, I'm Eldritch.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

wild bill buttock wrote:I don't think its fair to include "new" Sisters tunes as none of them have actually been properly recorded and ,given the right production, could all well be masterpieces(somehow I doubt it though).
I really love "Torch" and have done since I first heard it on the b-side of the "This corrosion" single.
"I was wrong" is the about the only worthwhile track on a Nondescript album.I gave VT a listen a couple of weeks ago after not going anywhere near it for years.Never got past "Ribbons" I'm afraid,Crap album,crap vocals,crap production.It is not worthy of The sisters of mercy name.
You are a bad person and must be punished.

I never got Train, Posession and think some of the SGWBM is in no-man's land. I cannot even whistle some of them.
guns & cars & accidents
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I like Train, but Afterhours just goes on and on.. :urff:
mh
Above the Chemist

Afterhours is certainly dull, but I wouldn't call it "nondescript" though.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

It works well as a noisyly disturbing intro song but nothing else.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Afterhours is in my top 10 of favorites. But that's another topic...
guns & cars & accidents
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I'm amazed at how good the version of 'I Was Wrong' is on my Frankfurt bootleg, reminded me of how much I always loved the lyrics :notworthy:

If I was going to name a nondescript Sisters song I'd probably go for Phantom even though the drum pattern isn't bad :oops:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
more-sedatives-pls
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Things that pass unnoticed....hmm.... lemme grab some of the cd's and check which songs I hardly if ever listen to, or even skip deliberately.

Det Blvd, sth fast, wydsm, ycb the one

walk away,marian

corrosion, torch

jihad, finl red etc, rain from heaven

under the goat

phantom, damage done, watch, hittietittymen

It's like when you want to check out a new boot... i never just let it go from begin to end straight away, i deliberately want to listen to flood first, and Giving ground, and Ribbons, heartland, kiss the carpet etc. never to corrosion, marian, det blvd etc. Not necessarily 'bad' songs, the lyrics may be interesting, but kinda a bit boring or at least less interesting.

Don't kill me now

or i'll rip your bloody guts out first ;D
Immodium for the people
Nic
Slight Overbomber

I think most, if not all, Sisters tunes has something special to them but I never quite got Body and Soul.
That is a dull song IMO.
Last edited by Nic on 23 Jul 2007, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
All We Ever Wanted Was Everything
GC
Slight Overbomber

Side one of FLAA (excluding Black Planet and Marian)

More, Detonation Boulevard, 1959, 1969.

Don't dislike them, just never listen to them.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I think most of FALAA is pants, actually.

ETA: then again, without actually looking at the CD case, I'm hard-pressed to remember most of what's on Vision Thing, either. Hmm...
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Silver_Owl
The Don

SINsister wrote:I think most of FALAA is pants, actually.

ETA: then again, without actually looking at the CD case, I'm hard-pressed to remember most of what's on Vision Thing, either. Hmm...
Let's face it - we're all here for one reason and one reason only.....YCBTO. :von:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

Revr'nd Image
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:Revr'nd Image
Saved me having to ask for one Iris.
Danke. :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Nixon
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:Afterhours is certainly dull, but I wouldn't call it "nondescript" though.
Sacrilege!!!! Afterhours isn't dull, it's brooding and atmospheric! (One of my favourite tracks - as is all of the Body & Soul 12" apart from the title track.) :eek:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Hom_Corleone wrote:Let's face it - we're all here for one reason and one reason only.....YCBTO. :von:
To that, I say: ROFLMAO! ;D :lol:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

aDRENOCHROME.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Silver_Owl
The Don

SINsister wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:Let's face it - we're all here for one reason and one reason only.....YCBTO. :von:
To that, I say: ROFLMAO! ;D :lol:
What? :| What did I say? :|

:lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

Nixon wrote:
mh wrote:Afterhours is certainly dull, but I wouldn't call it "nondescript" though.
Sacrilege!!!! Afterhours isn't dull, it's brooding and atmospheric! (One of my favourite tracks - as is all of the Body & Soul 12" apart from the title track.) :eek:
Well I won't dispute your right to like it ( :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) but I stand by my original assessment. ;D

To these ears it's as if some A&R exec in Warners had heard a third-hand description of what the Sisters sounded like, and demanded that they write a "slow, gloomy and atmospheric song with big deep booming vocals".

It's great as intro music, though. :)
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

i don't like Afterhours either, btw. But i think the evil threatething execs were more after the lyrics of anaconda than any partifular piece of muzax.

PS: U can imagine what the intended words were.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Not been here for a while & without wanting to go through every page seeing who's put what... I'll just post my thoughts.

When You Don't See Me (the debate rumbles on).
Detonation Blvrd.

Both nondescript, boring etc etc in my eyes. Only ones out of the whole catalogue though so its not bad going IMO. 8)
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
robertzombie
Overbomber

I agree with what people have said about Body And Soul. I think it's mainly the voice that fucks it up! what was andy thinking?!

Luckily they redeem themselves with EVERY SINGLE live performance of it ever! :D