Should the age be increased?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

More and harsher regulation certainly isn't going to solve the problem. What's needed is liberalisation of drug / drink / smoking / whatever else laws combined with better education.

(I hear all the teachers in the audience going "oh great, more work for us" but ideally education in general would get far better resources.)

But like the man says, "you can't get there from here". The Daily Mail crowd would go spare at the idea of drug and drink education in schools. It's similar to the situation with sex education where the discredited idea of ignorance-only (oops I mean abstinence-only) education is promoted.

Face facts, young people are going to drink, take drugs, have sex. Personally I think it would be far better if they did so after having been properly educated about the risks and how to minimise them. Telling young people to "just say no" is never going to work.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
silentNate
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I was smoking pot and drinking at thirteen- don't try to tell me that the legal age limit means jack... :oops:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
Pista
Cureboi

Maybe there should be a drinking test, in the same way as there's a driving test.
Actually, scratch that.
A lot of people still drive like tw@ts even after a test.
I can't really see the point of raising the age.
If young drinkers get so bladdered that they puke their innards up, I think it should make them think about how far to go next time right?
How long to we need to be "nannied"? :?
What I think should happen is that young people should be educated on alcohol a bit more.
For example, I was never told that alcohol was a poison when I was at school.
I was taught how to have babies, put on report for smoking, but never got so much as a detention for rolling in totally shedded in the morning.
I guess it might have been because the teachers were always 3 sheets to the wind by 9.30 anyway.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Pat wrote:As for marriage, I was too young at 28.I'm still too young now.

edit..Anne informs me I was 34 when we were married.....feels longer.
I'll always be "too young" for that kind of thing, I think. I still can't fathom my friends, cousins, and siblings being married with kids, and most of them aren't much younger than I am... *Boggles* :eek:

And Pat, that's really unfortunate... Are you ok? :(
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
psichonaut
Overbomber

in italy the legel age to drink alchol and smoke is 18, but so when we were 15 we did everything and we drunk without any problem in bar/pubs, we bought sigarettes everywhere and none asked our age...and my pusher did the same...when i had enough money
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
James Blast
Banned

how did I miss this and why did it drop from the HL Hit Parade?

fags and booze are fantastic - FACT!

now gimme an ASBO ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Which reminds me...

One day the school truant officer rang the doorbell of a house of a family where the child hadn't been to school in a week or so. The door was opened by a 14-year old boy with a towel round his waist, a martini in one hand, the other arm draped around the waist of a semi-naked hooker, a huge doobie protruding from his lips, and AC/DC's 'Dirty Deeds Done Done Cheap' blasting out of the stereo.

The truant officer said, "Hello, sonny - is your mum or dad at home?"

The boy replied, "Does it fcuking look like it?!"
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody