Who do you listen to that never gets mentioned on Heartland?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Dan
Overbomber

椎名林檎 and 山口百恵 and 浜崎あゆみ, in fact I'm listening to her right now!
Pista
Cureboi

Karst wrote:
Pista wrote:Aerosmith don't often get a look in.
Well, with lyrics like you ain't seen nothin' till you're down on a muffin
then you're sure to be a-changin' your ways" that's no surprise. :wink:
Good point, well made :lol: :lol:

The Stray Cats don't feature too often either.
I really like them. In fact, just gonna pop a dvd on.........
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Mothra wrote:Is it bad etiquette to keep replying to a post you started yourself?!?

Lanegan's great, I love the way his voice sounds so lived in. Every year it gets richer and richer. I have the Screaming Trees anthology (plus a couple of his solo albums) that compiles their SST years and I couldn't believe how good it sounds - I was never a fan of the band from what I'd heard when grunge was in vogue, but this was a bargain bin purchase that completely changed my mind. I saw him about 3 weeks back playing with Isobelle Campbell at the Secret Garden Party. He stalked on stage clad totally in black, didn't look at the audience once, didn't look at Isobelle once, didn't speak a word, and then walked off after about 10 songs without even acknowledging there was anyone else on stage. It was broad daylight when they played, one of the weirdest billings I've ever seen. Loved it mind.

Evangelise away Sultan :)
Oh, his voice gets worse and worse every record, and it's exactly what he needs. "Lived-in" is a good way of putting it. When I was about 15 I heard Uncle Anesthesia for the first time, and I really loved it. Because of that, I picked up The Winding Sheet shortly thereafter. Unfortuantely, I've never seen him live, either solo or back in the Screaming Trees days. I'm jealous :)
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

A sizeable chunk of my record collection is old rock or metal bands that Blast and Pat might applaud, but don't seem to do much for most Heartlanders.

The thing that genuinely surprises me is that I seem quite isolated in my love of dodgy goth bands - I'd assumed here of all places I would find fellow followers of groups like:

Collide, Dream Disciples, Faith and the Muse, Faithful Dawn, Inertia, Inkubus Sukkubus, Into The Abyss, Intra-Venus, London After Midnight, Love Like Blood, The Marionettes, Midnight Configuration, Nosferatu, One, Switchblade Symphony, Tapping The Vein, Voltaire, The Wake.
анархия
James Blast
Banned

out of the bands I've championed (Gabriel's Genesis, the Van Der Graaf Generator, Shriekback, Hawkwind, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Type O Negative For Greater Good and ARF!) I've so far had quite a high strike rate (mainly from a tall chap in Antverpia ;D) Roy Harper, The Strawbs, Mansun and Emerson Lake & Palmer seem to be the only ones that have fallen on deaf ears
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:...Emerson Lake & Palmer seem to be the only ones that have fallen on deaf ears
I've not heard it for years but I used to love Pictures at an Exhibition. Quality stuff. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

smiscandlon wrote:Nosferatu
I have a white label copy of their album.. worth owt? Listened to it once, can't remember what it sounds like.
psichonaut
Overbomber

Dead Kennedy's, Distillers, Gene loves Jezebel, T.S.O.L., Iron Maiden and Linkin Park
not really similar kinds of music, but very good stuff
when i'm sad: Sisters; christian Death, bauhaus and generally Goth
When i'm happy: Dead kennedy's; distillers, Maiden and energetic stuff
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

@ Steve: I only know of most of your fave g*ffy bands because of old, dodgy Cleopatra compilations from the early '90s. Some of them did indeed produce tunes that hold a special place in my heart (see the Marionettes' "Ave Dementia," for starters ;)), but some of that stuff I just find to be unlistenable. Then again, what passes for g*th these days is far, far worse, imho... :( :roll:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

A few more from staring at my cd collexion earlier:
Keuhkot (finnish band, avant garde genius), King Diamond (he is crap but i listened to him as a kid and still sometimes do, he's corky), Biosphere (more dark ambient, divine) and Burzum (finest black metal).
we've got beer and we've got fuel
Silver_Owl
The Don

The Future Sound Of London, The Orb, Ozric Tentacles, Susumu Yokota, Four Tet... I likes all of them lot I does. And you lot don't....
'ckin' goffs. :evil:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Silver_Owl
The Don

itnAklipse wrote:Biosphere (more dark ambient, divine)
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

TFSOL and t'Orb, now ye ken that's no true, don't make me call ye a FUD! Steve :lol:

only Biosphere I have is the Novelty Waves CD single, used to like it, then I heard FGG ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Badlander
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:Roy Harper
Hats off to (Roy) Harper. :notworthy:
I know the man from his collaboration with Kate Bush (You and another track whose title escapes me).
AKA the man who sings on the Floyd song "Have a cigar".
Unfortunately, he's virtually unknown in France. :|
I'd end this moment to be with you
Through morphic oceans I'd lay here with you
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

James Blast wrote:only Biosphere I have is the Novelty Waves CD single, used to like it, then I heard FGG ;D
i have Patashnik, haven't really heard anything else. But it's one of the all-time best albums to me. Haven't heard a whole album of FGG yet (will soon, though) :D

Unexpected to see so many ppl listening to (dark) ambient.

PS: NON is another band i've never seen mentioned here, just occurred to me. Oh yes i want Total War.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

I like a lot of that stuff, but it's extremely difficult to get to hear any of it here at all, outside of dedicated clubs and perhaps college radio stations. My first exposure to that genre was via MTV's old show called Amp, years ago. Pathetic! :evil:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Art Brut, Tindersticks, Do Me Bad Things, Grinn
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Silver_Owl
The Don

James Blast wrote:TFSOL and t'Orb, now ye ken that's no true, don't make me call ye a FUD! Steve :lol:
:oops:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Andie
Overbomber

Pixies, Breeders, Frank Black, The Amps

mmm

yep they never seem to get a mention either...to many non goffs listening to dark ambient
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
James Blast
Banned

Pixies do, otherwise I wouldn't have this wonderful reunion tour DVD - it's a jansenclone product, so you know it is a really, really high vision and sound disk :D

pro quality, I believe is the term
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

I know Suede get the occasional mention here, but nowhere near enough if you ask me, Brett Anderson and his merry band of cheekbones fairly regulated my hormones way back when and I see he's aged marvellously... :twisted: :innocent:

Moloko never get a look in, I know Sing It Back probably put a lot of people off, being as it is a bit Ibiza massive, but they are the finest (and quite possibly only) purveyors of Goff Disko in existence. Also rather sharp lyrics from Roisin Murphy...

I'm sure there's more but I have immense respect for the tastes of HL's denizens 8)
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Suede Large Claire? You've just shot up the weeblometer of glacier like coolness (I'm sure you'll sleep better knowing that :lol: ) Without doubt one of the best live acts I've ever seen 8)
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Did I mention Venetian Snares yet? :notworthy:

And/or Shinjuku Fief? Jist re-listened the Sacred Fury CD Dei, I have to swim some DEEP waters afore I can reach THAT quality! ;D

Darrin is G.O.D! :notworthy:

not the last time I'll say that

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

Ha, that's my favourite ST album! One that sucks the poor listener into its chaotic world and holds in its merciless distorting grip strongest. Amazing.
Spigel
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I must say i adore"My Bloody Valentine" and anyone out there feels the same way then click here for a selection of live boots and my I recommend Live in Vancouver92 "loom tour" :notworthy: