Giving Vision Thing a chance

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Silver_Owl
The Don

:lol: I liked the metaphor. :lol:

But yes - you are indeed right. I listen to VT (the track) when in the mood and maybe Ribbons, I was wrong and Something Fast. The rest don't get much of a look in. The main problem with it is it doesn't contain YCBTO. :innocent: :wink:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Carpathian Psychonaut
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote::lol: I liked the metaphor. :lol:

But yes - you are indeed right. I listen to VT (the track) when in the mood and maybe Ribbons, I was wrong and Something Fast. The rest don't get much of a look in. The main problem with it is it doesn't contain YCBTO. :innocent: :wink:
You were going so well but had to spoil it! :lol:
You’ll Disappear Before The Next Star Rises
Silver_Owl
The Don

Carpathian Psychonaut wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote::lol: I liked the metaphor. :lol:

You were going so well but had to spoil it! :lol:
What's wrong with Something Fast? :lol:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Little_Sister
Amphetamine Filth

I like Vision Thing. I think if you like it or not depends on when you became a Sisters fan... I became a fan after all the official albums where released and listend to them not in the right chronological order so i like all the songs from the Sisters. :von: is just my favourite band - and the first band I ever called myself a fan of.
made in the 80s
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

VT is a stonking album, ffs. First sniff of it (besides More, which I loved instantly, though hasn't stood the test of time quite as well as most other tracks on it) was Doctor Jeep on the Annie Nightingale show on the Sunday before the albums release, sounded like Body Electric on speed (okay, more speed) at the time, still does (not live though, live its a wall of mud these days). But yeah, A Very Good Thing, obviously. Conversely, WYDSM tends to sound better live, certainly the Smoke & Mirrors version.

It's possibly fair to say that the album delivers its two biggest punches from the off, so the rest doesn't quite match up, but tbh I can't picture anything matching VT and Ribbons as an album opening double-whammy.

It has its own distinct flavour, just as FALAA & Floodland have theirs, yet its unmistakably Sisters. cf Susanne, Summer, Crash & Burn, Still, War On Drugs etc.

All in my humble opinion, of course. The kids think its w@nk.
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
reactiv8

Little_Sister wrote:I like Vision Thing. I think if you like it or not depends on when you became a Sisters fan... I became a fan after all the official albums where released and listend to them not in the right chronological order so i like all the songs from the Sisters. :von: is just my favourite band - and the first band I ever called myself a fan of.
Indeed Little Sis - peers (?) younger than I took to it pronto, so perhaps that is what Eldritch intended? - Surely he enjoys 'teasing' us anyway?

Big Sis (Sinnie) quiet on this to date ...?

Oh yeah, interesting topic Tidal 8)
They (The Establishment) use sex as an addiction for control, just as they use alcohol and drugs ...
- A programme of systematic frustration in order to sell this crock of s**t as immortality, a garden of delights and love. ...
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

reactiv8 wrote:Big Sis (Sinnie) quiet on this to date ...?
Nope! As stated in related threads, I'm on the fence on this one... :von:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
canon docre
Overbomber

VT is Eldritchs (failed) attempt to break the US market.
I think if you like it or not depends on when you became a Sisters fan...
nope. I got into the Sisies back in 1985 and still think that VT is much better than that gothic dirge that is Floodland.

ok ok some songs were musicaly pitifully bootlicking the US mainstream, but served lyricwise with a pinch of salt.
The best songs on VT are among the best of their career - which I cant say of any song on FL.

*coat & run*
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
smiscandlon
Overbomber

canon docre wrote:The best songs on VT are among the best of their career - which I cant say of any song on FL.

*coat & run*
Take your coat off, get back here and explain yourself.

Which songs are you referring to?
анархия
canon docre
Overbomber

Something Fast and Ribbons are among my favourites, while no song on FL gets a spin on Jezzies ipod.
Put their heads on f*cking pikes in front of the venue for all I care.
silentNate

Floodland remains my favourite- Lucretia, Neverland and Dominion regularly get spins on my iPod :notworthy:
I had a face on the mirror
I had a hand on the gun
I had a place in the sun and a ticket to Syria
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Floodland is Eldritch's masterpiece. "Mother Russia rain down", but it never did. Everything else is anticlimax.

When you've written the music for the end of the world, and then the world doesn't end, how do you follow it?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
streamline
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: When you've written the music for the end of the world, and then the world doesn't end, how do you follow it?
SSV ?

<<coat>>

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

First song I heard was More. That was a bit disappointing when it came out as a single.
Then I bought VT and ever since Ribbons has been my fav song.
Listening to the rest of the record it grew on me and after a couple of times I realised; this band has moved on....again... :notworthy:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dead_Rock
Road Kill

VT is probably their weakest album, but still light years ahead compared to a lot of other albums out there.
I like it in certain moods, but still only in certain moods...

Something Fast and When You Don't See Me hit a spot though.
You Could Be The One makes me laugh everytime I hear it.
:von: MUST have meant this thing as a joke, lines like
But all the things you share are
Better left unsaid
When you can give me head
And run your fingers through my hair

can't be meant serious and therefore it's a nice joke for a B-Side and an even nicer addition to the Remaster.

Just my 2 Cents...
_emma_
Overbomber

I like VT just the same as other Sisters records, it all depends on mood.
There is one thing about it though that doesn't depend on mood and is always 100% true whenever I listen to it: it is the record on which the vocals sound by far the best, I don't mean the singing or the voice itself, but just the way it it is mixed into the rest of the sounds, well, I'm sure you know what I mean. It is mixed in the way in which it should've been done from the start. 8)
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:When you've written the music for the end of the world, and then the world doesn't end, how do you follow it?
Nicely put Mark. That sums it all up very well really. :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Hom_Corleone wrote:
markfiend wrote:When you've written the music for the end of the world, and then the world doesn't end, how do you follow it?
Very much so, but surely the answer is to blow the fckr up yerself, just so you can appreciate your music in its right context. :von:
There is increasing evidence to suggest that Chris may have been being sarcastic.
Silver_Owl
The Don

Planet Dave wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
Very much so, but surely the answer is to blow the fckr up yerself, just so you can appreciate your music in its right context. :von:
If only it had turned out that way Dave. If only all that speed had turned him into a creative whirlwind. Instead of.... :?

But then we all start off with good intentions. :(
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
James Blast
Banned

CLT-
Visoin Thing* (sic) on my new 6 speaker set-up, at extreme volume.

I kicks some very serious erse!

*thank you scotty :D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Tidal
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I guess Andy's career just has different eras. And I happen to like some, and not like some others.

Though I think you're right when you say VT is still much better than most non-Sisters music. When I first learned of the Sisters, I just kept realising their music is just on a completely different "level" of quality compared to anything I had ever heard. Correction- there is no comparison.
It's good to be back
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Tidal wrote: Correction- there is no comparison.
You're a quick learner my fellow country man! :notworthy: :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Dr. Moody

vision thing is great, I always liked it just as much as the others , if anything the new songs would make a vision thing II, it was totally of its time too- the 1990's Sisters rock beast (which also kinda upgraded and degothified the back catalogue, kinda ) also it has dated a lot less badly than most of its contemporaries.
@Markfiend isnt that a Steve Sutherland quote ?? :innocent:
The real problem with Vision Thing is the lack of what came after so we become fixated on what little official material there is.

Vision Thing the song is definitely top 5 sisters songs too, ever.

;D
Nixon
Amphetamine Filth

This is one that I never bought when it came out, because I didn't like Floodland as much as First & Last & Always. I only picked up a copy when I bought the remastered edition, and regret not having given it the time of day earlier. Doh!! :oops: :oops: