So I'm sitting through 'Vision Thing' for the first time...

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Listen to "20 Miles Up" and "Babylonian Tower" by Tarwater as well. Those two tracks are from 1998 and 2005 and the vocals are very very clear.

Yeah the key phrase above is "openly perform". Which would explain why a couple of guys from Berlin would be happy to use him as a session vocalist and he was happy with not taking any credit. I think that "Mobile Home" remix or whatever it is of Mother Russia is a hint. That's the only way I discovered Tarwater myself.

Maybe it really was Adam holding things up all along?
Hopefully Adam agreed to sell him the rights to Crash And Burn, etc.
"... because we're that kind of people."
Dr. Moody

well Ive listened to more tarwater and I retract my earlier statement,
it could very well be him. wow.
there's even a song called when love was the law and another one called seven of nine ! holy f**k
Prescott

:D Hopefully he'll come out and take credit for it now. Currently listening to the song "Euroslut" and I really like "Tommy Tommorow". :von:
MadameButterfly
HL's mystical safekeeper

No one says holy f**k within these walls without a general listening pleasure...please boys...no fair! :|
it's all about circles and spirals
that ongoing eternity
sultan2075
Overbomber

Dr. Moody wrote:well Ive listened to more tarwater and I retract my earlier statement,
it could very well be him. wow.
there's even a song called when love was the law and another one called seven of nine ! holy f**k
There are certainly a few points where it sounds just like him, but there are a few others where it really doesn't.

There's also the matter of the lyrics: again, some sound like him to me, but some don't (like that line about making love in glass boxes or something. Not good).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
bananacamel
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thought I'd join in. Could well be him couldn't it?

I like it anyway. Thanks Prescott for the post :D
I've got a mind like a poisonous fish...
Josch
Road Kill

do you realy believe, if A.E. would do something to do with any band which releases CD´s nowbody would know that?

I don´t think so. Too may people are involeved in such a process, or?
It could not be a secret over years. Perhaps just vor one album, but i don´t think over a long time.

maybe i am wrong...

:?:
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Ok, so I checked out Tarwater's MySpaz page, and it looks like they're touring. If Eldo were really the vocalist, don't you think someone would notice?
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
bananacamel

Could just be vocalist on a few tracks. He could easily overlay his vocals in his own studio, and post the result for final mixing :|

Who knows! Maybe he's a lazy sod and does nothing all day :urff:

I like the covert Eldo story better :twisted:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Mr Camel! Welcome back! How was your trip?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Prescott

Yeah I like the music anyways too. But I wouldn't put it past him to do the studio vocals and then Lippok or whoever sings the stuff live. 20 quid says the vocals for Tarwater's live stuff don't sound like their studio vocals. That would be the final proof for me. Off to find live Tarwater.
bananacamel

EvilBastard wrote:Mr Camel! Welcome back! How was your trip?
It was a most excellent trip, and fun was certainly on the agenda for the full time away. Been back a few months now and got a job, it's like we've never been away :cry:

Lucky we did come back though, March Violets gig and The m*****n final 4 gigs, it would have been expensive to keep flying back fo them :notworthy: :lol:

Did get to see The Cure in Singapore though, goth on back packing tour ;D
Dr. Moody

Have been listeneing quite a bit now and either way I really like em.
Was wondering about the touring thing too,
I reckon he likes to dabble with it and as he dosen't want any credit some vocals and lyrics are the other guy's and some are his,
deepening the cryptic nature of the project etc.
Not easy bein a sisters fan is it, the lengths we will go to for fresh produce.

Alternatively Tarwater have a serious case of the merry thoughts. :lol:
Top find and on constant rotation at castle Moody at the moment !
pmetrics
Road Kill

Hi everybody,

first post ever in Heartland, into the Sisters since the 80's though.
The rumour that AE was involved somehow with Tarwater has been around since the mid 90's. Look what a simple google search revealed

http://majorbonobo.blogspot.com/2007/11 ... -1998.html

On the VT issu, I initially disliked it but gradually got into it (especially after I turned 30 :D ). The remix of WYDSM is best though
Dark
Underneath the Rock

pmetrics wrote:The remix of WYDSM is best though
I like you already. You're staying. ;)
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Welcome to the madhouse, pmetrics! ;D
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

pmetrics
Road Kill

thanks for the warm welcome!
It looks that AE sings on Mobile Home (according to the credits on track 9). The album is not available online though, and the usual vendors do not seem to sell it either, so probably difficult to get hold of.
mh
Above the Chemist

Ah, Rabbit Moon, I was wondering where the name Tarwater rang a bell from. Subject came up here a good while back. Think I have an MP3 of Mobile Home somewhere, and if memory serves it's just the vocals lifted directly off Floodland.

Welcome onboard pmetrics, by the way! :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

back to VT: first of all, i love the album...but then i love everything the sisters have done, to one degree or another. and regardless of the distinct individual styles of the recorded works i think they all sit easily with each other in a live situation -alongside the "new" stuff.
there has always the unifying element of eldritch's voice and lyrics, as well as the fact that whenever he wasn't the sole writer of the music he has always had the lion's share of the creative control.
so, -secondly- since the first split in '85 this control has been absolute,to the extent that any song-writing partnership has been with musicians chosen by eldritch (and thus, presumably,reflecting his own idea of what direction the band should take).
the writing parnership for VT was with bruhn -a guitarist with a distinctly rock style.
(thirdly) now: i'm not saying it was a fashion-thing (more likely it's a stage a lot of bands go through in their developement) but when VT came out (and by that i mean the late '80/90s) , it seemed a lot of people were bringing out "metal" albums distinct from their "regular" (previous recorded) styles. off the top of my head ministry's psalm 69 and electric by the cult spring to mind.

at the end of the day,it's all sisters music. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
mh
Above the Chemist

Tarwater - Mobile Home

I found the MP3. It has a date of 5th July 2007 on it, so it's possible that it was discussed on here around that time, although a search turns up nowt.

Stylistically, it's very ambient/electronic, with a squelchy drumbeat and lotsa bleepy noises. Very slow.

The "Eldritch vocals" consist of a very electro-distorted (almost vocoder-like) rendition of the main part of Mother Russia (from "We serve" up to "stuck inside...") at the beginning, then it goes off into noodling territory for the rest of the song. There's also some low moaning at the end that could be more vocals, or could be an instrument.

Overall it's nice, but not really earth-shattering. I'd put up a download but it's probably illegal...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Prescott

I've heard it too. I listened closely to the vocals of Tarwater's Live stuff that is on YouTube. It's similar. So I must admit that maybe the guy's merely as much of a fan as the rest of us and it is another The Merry Thoughts thing all over again. I do like the music though. Oh well.

As for Vision Thing it's fantastic, and it certainly trips the light.
White Like Jesus
Road Kill

mh wrote:Aye, it's not a bad LP (unless you're Keith) but definitely not up to the standard. Best place to listen to VT is in a dank and grimy metal bar. :D Works pretty well there.
Thing is, I think the quality of guitar music would be better at a grimy metal bar. I'd rather hear the popular 80's thrash bands like Metallica or Slayer over a sampled, metal knockoff sound. I mean, the guitars sound like they're either from the first few seasons of the Power Rangers TV show, or written as a soundtrack to a video game like Mega Man X. Though the title track is sorta catchy in spite of that.
scotty
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:

Oh, and Keef, who secretly loves it but won't admit it :lol:
:evil: :evil: :lol: fuckin' BON JOVI cover LP :evil:
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
road_kill
Road Kill

mh wrote:Tarwater - Mobile Home

I found the MP3. It has a date of 5th July 2007 on it, so it's possible that it was discussed on here around that time, although a search turns up nowt.
I found it and posted it up just before the last great Heartland crash which lost 4 days worth of posts I think. There was a good discussion about this and another notable one about the Paris Riots "Jacobs Ladder" demo auction which a forum member bought and still hasn't shared with us, both lost...

I don't think the vocoder bit is :von: but the wordless groaning at the end could possibly be...