I wanna know what Dub is! I want you to show me!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

boudicca wrote:...arsing around with their effects and a reel-to-reel tape...
Well well, miss Claire... you say you don't know much 'bout the DUB, but you have hit the nail on the head with thee above phrase! ;D

Dub came to life in the late sixties when some Jamaican dudes needed to have some 'exclusives' to play on their soundsystems (yu know, the big block parties outside a liquor store or so...) so they could stand out from the other soundsystems in town (there were many in those days!). The way they did that, was to arse around with effects and a reel to reel tape and to make an existing tune (preferably a huge hit on the streets already) into somekind of a 'remix'.... First job was to kick out the vocals, make the bass fatter and get the old echo box out of the cupboard.

Very soon those 'remixes' were more loved by the crowd/party peepz than the 'proper' tunes and then many a producer jumped on the bandwagon and started to produce dubs or the so called versions...

As always some producers just go with the flow, but a few of them really made history by being very creative with the medium. Osbourne Ruddock aka King Tubby, Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Augustus Pablo, Errol Thompson & Keith Hudson are all of the more 'genius' kind and really lead the way...

Most important records to get (at first) are:
Lee Perry: Blackboard Jungle Dub (tracks Panta Rock, Drum Rock, Dub Organizer & the rest are all great!)
Augustus Pablo: King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown (Rockers Rock, Frozen Dub, King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown, 555 Dub Street etc are sublime!)
Keith Hudson: Pick a Dub (Pick a Dub, I'm Alright, Satan Side, Melody Maker are the best, deepest & moodiest dubs around!)
King Tubby was more the one to hire to get smart with your tunes and like that his stuff is all over the place... good places to start are the Dub Gone Crazy & Dub Gone 2 Crazy compilations on Blood & Fire records.
Joe Gibbs & Errol Thompson: African Dub Chapter 3 is another classic...

That is all old school stuff of course...
After that chaps like Mikey Dread, Jah Shaka & Mad Professor did wicked stuff in the UK, Bill Laswell in the USA, Rhythm & Sound in Germany...

...etc etc etc :innocent:

It ain't easy to talk like this... without fuel I mean... :wink:
Next time you're in the neigborhood, come by the house and I'll guide you through the record collection, including many a fine anecdote and a wee likkle smoke or two 8)

... or drop me a line :P
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

basically - it's music you need to be 'incapacitated to' to enjoy ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
radiojamaica
Overbomber

emilystrange wrote:we have LOADS of lee scratch perry here.
don;t go and see him live though. waste of time. plus he, in all seriousness, baptised the audience with his bottle of water.
Seen him quite a few times over the years... and sometimes really bad!
The guy is completely bonkers of course :innocent:

But to say he's always bad would be a very big mistake! I've seen 'm do absolutely mesmerizing gigs too & absolutely not playing it safe... he really need to have that little 'extra' (and I surely don't mean drugs by that), but theh he is unstoppable...

James Blast wrote:does On-U Sound count, cause I like some of that stuff?
It certainly does!!! Adrian Sherwood is another Dub-meister and some of the On-U stuff is wonderful! :notworthy: :notworthy:
in dub we trust
radiojamaica
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:basically - it's music you need to be 'incapacitated to' to enjoy ;D
WRONG!

But it can help :innocent:
in dub we trust
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

good topic, i was trying to get into reagge - nothing, but most of the song on GTA SA soundtrack are verrry good, can even use the word cool, so who knows.
about the ragga- :urff:
now, after refreshed Bauhaus' Mask i want to listen the source of their music.
so big thnx to miss buodicca for this topic, and rest of you for responses. :notworthy: :kiss:
Dark
Underneath the Rock

If I'm honest, it took me a while to get into reggae, and just as long to get into dub. And there's a lot of bad reggae and bad dub.
I personally avoid Bob Marley. :lol:
If you can stand all the ultra-religious elements (it's all very well singing about Jah Rastafari, Zion and Babylon, etc, but really.. I'm all about the echo, not the dogma :urff:) and just enjoy the music, it's all good. Not that there are many vocals to care about in dub. :lol:

And some day, I'll need to come over to Koenland, and discuss the good sounds of Leroy Wallace's "Herb Vendor" whilst going to one of our own. :lol: ;D
James Blast
Banned

I keep hearing "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner, everytime I see this topic/alert.

Yes, I think Foreigner are worthy! :notworthy:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
boudicca
Sister Midnight

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I wanna know what dub iisssss! I want you to show meeee! :lol:
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dark
Underneath the Rock

Oh you bastards, getting that song in my head..

I think I need some dub just to drown it out. :urff:
boudicca
Sister Midnight

mwoohahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaah! :twisted:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i found the mad professor's reworking of the massive attack album 'protection' works as a gentle introduction to dub 8)

no protection
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
boudicca
Sister Midnight

Oooh nice, 'cos I do love Massif Attack. Cheers for the heads up Quiff 8)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I actually bought Bauhaus' "Satori" EP earlier.. (dunno why, I'm not really a fan) and it appears to have In Fear Of Dub on it. :lol:
I'll listen to it when I'm done listening to ELO. 8)
Dark
Underneath the Rock

OK, "In Fear Of Dub" isn't exactly dub, so that may help add to the confusion. Close, but no fishcake. ;)
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

I lived in a shared house once, many years ago, where a friend of mine started playing Dub one day (it was either African Head Charge or Dub Syndicate - can't remember which). I walked in and remarked on how similar one track sounded to the Sisters - the same strong bass and reverb-heavy drums. He nearly cried.
Karst
Slight Overbomber

Not to be confused with these rascals

boudicca
Sister Midnight

Thank you lovely people for your extensive introdubtion (see what I did there? :innocent: ) to Dub. I will check out your recommendations and no doubt you'll find out if they make their way into my "Currently Listening" :wink:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I have sampled some No Protection.

What exactly am I supposed to hear?

:?
Chairman Bux
shut.the.fuck.up

I've been listening to a lot of space dub the past few months.
Minister of Misinformation and Misdirection.

We first met through a shared view
She loved me and I did too
James Blast
Banned

... and I've not
~ Peter Steele