new business model for eldritch? the nin approach

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

But aren't the Sisters already being ably (and respectfully) given the full-on Smurphs treatment? ;D

New business model for Eldritch: Papa Smurf, Smurfette and Gargamel do Adrenochrome! Panic in their eyes!

leastways it would get a feckin' record out...
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
sultan2075
Overbomber

mh wrote:
stufarq wrote:the publishers and agents don't have final say - that still rests with the owner
That's actually quite saddening, as the extent to which Sisters songs have appeared on 3rd rate goffix "man with a headcold in a Darth Vader helmet at the bottom of a 300 foot well" tributes and compilations really does show how little Von gives a flying one.

New business model for Eldritch: just admit you've no intention and put it out of it's misery, for cryin' out loud. :|
1. They may be fools, but their money is still good.
2. Didn't he actually sell off the publishing rights to the songs in the 90's, or am I imagining that?
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
ozjohn1
Amphetamine Filth

I would have thought that the internet option would have been perfect for Eldritch. No worrying about manufacturing product, no messing around with record companies, complete freedom of material and imagery and most of all nobody to split the money with. However, for somebody who is reputedly as techno savvy as he is I am sure we would have seen something if he thought it was commercially viable.
Bugger!
Everytime I go in a record shop I still have to check, just to make sure. There's optimism for you.
smug as hell, they're coming...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ozjohn1 wrote:...for somebody who is reputedly as techno savvy as he is.
reputedly.

if we're talking 10 year old tech, definitely, but these days?

i'm not so sure he's as cutting edge as he'd have us believe. he still uses 20-year old kit on stage, and he's missed so many of these tech-oriented business opportunities that i wonder.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

i'd rather say he's a Luditte.
guns & cars & accidents
sultan2075
Overbomber

Didn't someone close to the Sisters camp make just this allegation recently? I'd swear someone said that part of the problem is that the guy completely shuns any sort of musical technology made after about 1994...
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

sultan2075 wrote:Didn't someone close to the Sisters camp make just this allegation recently? I'd swear someone said that part of the problem is that the guy completely shuns any sort of musical technology made after about 1994...
nurse was heard complain about the old kit on the last tour, saying he could fit all the functionality of 2 truck loads of kit into 2 macbook pros, with a dat tape as backup :lol:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Quiff Boy wrote:
sultan2075 wrote:Didn't someone close to the Sisters camp make just this allegation recently? I'd swear someone said that part of the problem is that the guy completely shuns any sort of musical technology made after about 1994...
nurse was heard complain about the old kit on the last tour, saying he could fit all the functionality of 2 truck loads of kit into 2 macbook pros, with a dat tape as backup :lol:
You'd have thought that would be (in the long term) more economical. Which begs the question why :von: would not see that as beneficial... :?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Hom_Corleone wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
You'd have thought that would be (in the long term) more economical. Which begs the question why :von: would not see that as beneficial... :?
fear of the unknown.

if he doesn't understand how it works, he can't do it himself so needs other people... typical control freak ;)
James Blast
Banned

and it's not "Rawk 'n' Roll!" looking
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

Ye gods, that is so utterly sad.
--
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote:
So which laptops were stolen from the Leeds gig?
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
nowayjose

Never change a running system?

Having programmed a bit on MacOS X lately, and seeing how easily it goes belly-up at the slightest provocation (very much like Windoze, or even worse, actually, very unlike a real Unix system), I probably wouldn't let that overhyped crap into any situation where it could embarrass me in front of a lot of people. Without doubt, Eldritch is a bit more on the conservative side, technology wise -- meaning, if it works, there's little reason to change it. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
James Blast
Banned

I agree, if it ain't broken, don't fix it... look where that got us :roll:
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/tech/seqsdaw.htm

Might as well bang a few rocks together while he's at it and hope for fire.
--
James Blast
Banned

must I...?

please don't make me... it's not "Rawk 'n' Roll"! :|
~ Peter Steele
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

mh wrote:But aren't the Sisters already being ably (and respectfully) given the full-on Smurphs treatment? ;D

New business model for Eldritch: Papa Smurf, Smurfette and Gargamel do Adrenochrome! Panic in their eyes!

leastways it would get a feckin' record out...
Wondered when someone would make that joke. I had to set it up twice before anyone bit.
il duce
Amphetamine Filth

It is a great idea. The only problem with it is that you have to have some new material to sell. Say, maybe some new songs or hey, wait a minute, maybe a albums worth of songs. Not 5-10 years old songs that EVERYONE that would care has heard, downloaded, grown tired of and moved on.

Do I sound bitter? Yeah, I know. But come on, write some f**king new songs. Sell them on your webpage, or cd-r's at your shows or whatever, but do not pretend that you are a creative person who gives a f**k.

Somehow it makes me think of mister sleezeball number ONE: Gene I-am-so-greedy-my-pants-are-about-to-explode Simmons. And I quote:
Kiss will never record a new album as long as the audience is not willing to pay for it. Kiss has never been about charity.

No but maybe about loving music and being creative? Or?
deadagain
Banned

I've just had a quick look at the Sisters webpage for the first time in many months - the only thing that appears to have been updated in the last two years is the live page, which lists some gigs in mid 2007! The rest haven't apparently been touched in 5+ years.

If they can't even get it together to sort out the Reptile House merchandising page (still 'under construction' since about 1999), then it seems to me to be VERY unlikely that we can expect anything significant - such as some 'new' releases any time this millenium!
Is this the place I used to know as Fatherland?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Which is, in the end, the conclusion of all threads.

Tea, anyone?
guns & cars & accidents
Mothra

Quiff Boy wrote:exploiting the 'uberfan' (or 'true fan') worked for trent reznor with 'ghosts', and i know people here have suggested von should try it

this is an interesting article which proposes that movie studios should do the same which i found interesting:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/st ... bution.php

NIN frontman Trent Reznor realized that in order to make money, he needed only to appeal to his true fans, his überfans. He gave the first part of his four part album away for free on the Internet, and then offered higher quality downloads, and "deluxe" physical packages for a price ranging from $5 to $300.

The result was that his true fans ate it up. Reznor pulled in $750,000 in three days from sales of music to his core fan base, and may have picked up a few new true fans along the way via the free downloads.

and this explains more about the theory behind the 'true fans' approach to getting the most out of the 'long tail' business model:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/lo ... e_fans.php

part of me thinks it could work for von, but like all things he's tried over the last few years he needs to get of his 'arris and do it sooner rather than later - while he's still got enough fans left to generate any decent revenue

what do you lot think?
Have you actually heard Ghosts though? I've had the "pleasure" of listening to it over the last couple of nights. Never heard such a load of s**t released by an established artist!!! If Eldritch was to return after all this time with a similar collection of random noises we'd be begging him to go back out on tour to mangle the classics again :lol: I appreciate its the business model rather than the end product you're referring to, but I just wanted to register my feelings towards Trent's latest. This is what happens when you let musicians loose in their own studio on their own label with too many computers on hand!!
James Blast
Banned

Bollocks!

Ghosts is excellent unlike the latest (NIN proper) load of "I hate myself, look at me!" tosh album
~ Peter Steele
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Andy TG wrote:Perhaps Von should sit down for beer/coffee with Reznor?
...Should be a right laugh-in :eek:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

just to drag this back out of the archives, it looks like Cornershop are doing the fan-funded album thing too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... trons.html
The latest album from Leicester band Cornershop was entirely funded by fans. As government cuts bite, could this be the future of arts funding.
theparadox2010
Amphetamine Filth

Seems that www.pledgemusic.com is helping a few bands get back on their feet, and a few more just like it because of all the rubbish that it can remove. Gang of four, if my memory is correct, I Like Trains, Cast, and so on....
we're better than the birthday party, but not as good as motorhead, that makes us pretty damn good!!!!