Bands who sound like the *current* Sisters?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Somehow I always end up listening to Silverbullit (especially the Arclight CD) when I'm dreaming of that new Sisters CD soon to be released...

Sounds nothing like Sisters really but still it's something, the mood, the atmosphere or whatever :?
aims
Overbomber

Rofocale wrote:The Daughters of Bristols don't sound anything like the current version of TSOM, more like they sounded between 81-83. Copycats!? I don't care. I think they are bloody awesome!!!
http://www.myspace.com/thedaughtersofbristol
I can't help but think that I'd be able to take them more seriously if they'd just ripped their name straight from a Sisters track :|

They sound ok though, I suppose.
more-sedatives-pls

Die Krupps, obviously -- or don't they exist anymore?

More EBM than current Sisters, but the general feel is about the same for me.
Immodium for the people
sultan2075
Overbomber

They never did it for me, but that remix of Fatherland that Von did for them was very, very groovy.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
GMC
Road Kill

1. The 69 Eyes: They don't so much sound like the Sisters as have some of the same influences and an Eldritch-clone singer. But that's not bad, and unlike every other band that has been accused of being a Sisters clone, they actually rock, being much more influenced by the MC5 than anything on Cleopatra.

2. Porcupine Tree is great, but not Sistersesque.

3. Clan of Xymox are serious goff bunnies but they try to fake it hard enough they sound about right occasionally. "Farewall" and "Consolation" aren't entirely useless.
Flowers on the Razor Wire.
robertzombie
Overbomber

The Merry Thoughts ;D
Dark
Underneath the Rock

I seem to recall enjoying the Merry Thoughts when I heard them.
James Blast
Banned

I seem to recall enjoying a colonoscopy
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

I seem to recall thinking the Merry Thoughts were painfully bad.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
more-sedatives-pls

I seem to recall the inverse of what James seems to be recalling...

Yikes! was that awful!
Immodium for the people
aims
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:I seem to recall enjoying a colonoscopy
At least the colonoscopy was firsthand.
James Blast
Banned

they gave me prime drugs, it was a glide
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

The Merry Thoughts ;D ;D

...Rosetta Stone

...Nosferatu

Current sisters...? I'm suprised no one has mentioned Star Industry yet. They've always had a strong Sisters influence but have never had that 1984 sound, far closer to the 2008 noise in my opinion.

Anyway, I strongly recomend them to all as a very worthwhile listen.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
James Blast
Banned

Star Industry are a good band
~ Peter Steele
sultan2075
Overbomber

I loaded up Lost Generation on their myspace.

They started out alright, but they lost me with the vocals.
--
DrG
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thank you people... interesting thread! 8)

Anyone here already mention Dios Está De Nuestro Lado by
James Ray's Gangwar! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I shy away from many of the bands mentioned here as I do not
actually like metal... but I have a good friend into it and it is sometimes fun! ;D

So, courtesy of btjunkie I will check a few of these bands out! :wink:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Bands who sound like the *current* Sisters?
haha... catch question :notworthy: :notworthy:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

DrG wrote:Anyone here already mention Dios Está De Nuestro Lado by James Ray's Gangwar! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey now!! I think that album's not bad - not the best thing they've put out, maybe, but if it hadn't been for the shameless plugging for the album in the pages of UTR I'd never have bought it, and then never have got their other stuff (which is a bit better, imho).
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
nickyspecial
Road Kill

Bands who sound like The Sisters? NOT the current line up of The Sisters!
haw haw haw...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nickyspecial wrote:Bands who sound like The Sisters? NOT the current line up of The Sisters!
haw haw haw...
Do not feed the troll.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

GMC wrote:1. The 69 Eyes: They don't so much sound like the Sisters as have some of the same influences and an Eldritch-clone singer. But that's not bad, and unlike every other band that has been accused of being a Sisters clone, they actually rock, being much more influenced by the MC5 than anything on Cleopatra.

Uh, personally, I hear Danzig or Type O Negative, with a bit of Billy Idol. And of course... they claim to be vampires/vampyres/wampeers. No... for real... :roll:
Carcharoth
Road Kill

I seem to recall The Merry Thoughts having one good song (Boy Sinister) and the rest sounding like rejected Sisters B-sides.

Now, would someone please guide me towards bands that are 80s Sisters copycats? (No, not trolling, I seriously want something that sounds like 80s Sisters).
Point me to the sky above
I can't get there on my own
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

@ Carcharoth

I have a few recommendations for you :)

A lot of the early 90's UK goth bands took and milked the original Leeds sound. - some of them did it very very well (although not all).

I can strongly recommend Rosetta Stone. Who I put on par with the Sisters in terms of excellence. You want to check out they're enire pre-1996 back catalogue. The "Adrenaline Deluxe" compilation has all you need to start off with. They arn't a Sisters clone band by any means, having a long streak of m*****n in them, as well as a wonderful sound of their own, but let's just say they don't hide they're influences ;)

Although I fear to make mention of them, Nosferatu could be called the most derivitive band in history - the problem a lot of people have with them is they ripped off the Sisters but infused the sound with the whole Vampires and plastic skulls s**tery that made Eldritch reject the Goth scene in the first place. As it happens, I quite like them musically.

To be honest, both of those bands are comparable on lots of superficial levels (drum machines, driving bass, deep male vocals, twangy guitars) but actually I don't think they really sound all that similar, but that's my tuppence.

Moving on... I could have coped if Dios Está De Nuestro Lado had just been Rev Rev Lowrider B sided with Co Ca Choo, the bulk of the album didn't do it for me. I much prefer the performance stuff/early gangwar 12" singles (Without Concience and Another Million Dollars).
Nationalise the f**king lot.
If_It_Makes_You_Happy
Road Kill

shivarising wrote:Uh, personally, I hear Danzig or Type O Negative, with a bit of Billy Idol. And of course... they claim to be vampires/vampyres/wampeers. No... for real... :roll:
I find that Billy Idol has some great stuff, especially in the 80-s and early 90-s. Some of it definetely sounds similar to the Sisters - both current and early.

Call me crazy, but I find some similarities "in spirit" between Floodland and Idol's "Cyberpunk"-album.
Carcharoth
Road Kill

Maisey wrote:@ Carcharoth

I have a few recommendations for you :)

A lot of the early 90's UK goth bands took and milked the original Leeds sound. - some of them did it very very well (although not all).

I can strongly recommend Rosetta Stone. Who I put on par with the Sisters in terms of excellence. You want to check out they're enire pre-1996 back catalogue. The "Adrenaline Deluxe" compilation has all you need to start off with. They arn't a Sisters clone band by any means, having a long streak of m*****n in them, as well as a wonderful sound of their own, but let's just say they don't hide they're influences ;)

Although I fear to make mention of them, Nosferatu could be called the most derivitive band in history - the problem a lot of people have with them is they ripped off the Sisters but infused the sound with the whole Vampires and plastic skulls s**tery that made Eldritch reject the Goth scene in the first place. As it happens, I quite like them musically.

To be honest, both of those bands are comparable on lots of superficial levels (drum machines, driving bass, deep male vocals, twangy guitars) but actually I don't think they really sound all that similar, but that's my tuppence.

Moving on... I could have coped if Dios Está De Nuestro Lado had just been Rev Rev Lowrider B sided with Co Ca Choo, the bulk of the album didn't do it for me. I much prefer the performance stuff/early gangwar 12" singles (Without Concience and Another Million Dollars).
I know about Rosetta Stone (I still can't get over that Robbie Williams cover they did live :lol: ), Nosferatu and Gangwar but thanks for the recommendations anyway :)