29 October 2008, Montréal - Post Show

Gig reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on the 2008/2009 Sisters tour, including the Autumn/Winter 2008 U.S. and European 2009 legs.

Better than in 2006 at The Metropolis?

Yes
22%
No
No votes
I wasn't there in 2006
7%
Both show were equally great!
No votes
Didn't see any of them but I like polls
70%

Total votes: 27
ailime
Amphetamine Filth

@ Martin : Rev Shot take 2 - the official s**t by Martin :D that one !! We wanna see that on the shelves before Christmas ideally ;) hmmm ? :D :lol: :von:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Les vertiges de l'amour et les effets de la drogue
in short : Andrew Eldritch's effect on me

Part III now online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jcz8IylVw

No, ailime, there's no Part IV. ;)
ailime
Amphetamine Filth

Martin, you burst my bubble, dear !! I was hoping you'd go with the great American classics and have a franchise of at least 10 ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I asked about a DVD and Martin replied:
What DVD? :roll:
Are the montages pretty much what you captured of the show? :?:

I was hoping that you filmed more! :?

Either way... great clips! Great sound! :notworthy:
wah-hoo
let's do the war on drugs

Trip the light fantastic
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

DrG wrote:Are the montages pretty much what you captured of the show? :?: :
Yep. I wanted to look at the show, not at my camera.
Martin
Amphetamine Filth

... and it's a way to not being kicked out the place too!
doctoravalanche

A new review (in french) is online on my website, with some photos that maybe you haven't seen yet :

http://thesistersofmercy.free.fr/index. ... &Itemid=37

Enjoy !
ailime
Amphetamine Filth

*goes hyper* woooooooot bloody finally a decently positive critic !! and omg he looks nice on those pics !! That's mah sexy Andy right there !! :von: :notworthy: thanks for the link Doctor ! *blows a kiss your way*
Slight Overbomber

doctoravalanche wrote:A new review (in french) is online on my website, with some photos that maybe you haven't seen yet
That gave my 30-year-old French quite a challenge... :lol:

Excellent photos - thank you! :kiss:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
sunshine
Road Kill

My French is non-existent. :) Tell me please: are there only 4 pictures or am I missing something? :)
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

sunshine wrote:My French is non-existent. :) Tell me please: are there only 4 pictures or am I missing something? :)
Mine is only decrepit :wink:

There are only four for that date. There are more other in other articles (Articles on the menu, then " Suivant > " at the bottom of the page), and in the Paris 2006 section (just keep clicking on anything that says "Photos" until you get there - you need to drill sort of deep).
--Elizabeth von Arnim
ailime
Amphetamine Filth

Nous sommes le lendemain de la première tempête de neige de la saison sur la ville, il fait aujourd'hui -2°C dehors et The Sisters Of Mercy viennent pour la troisième fois à Montréal en 17 ans (1991, 2006 et 2008).
We are the next day of the first snowstorm of the season on the city, today the temperature is -2°C and The Sisters of Mercy are coming back for the 3rd time to Montreal in 17 yers (1991, 2006 and 2008.
Nous passons d'une salle de 2350 places pour le concert de 2006 au Métropolis à une salle de 850 places ce soir au Club Soda. Le balcon de la salle est fermé au public, ce qui laisse présager pas assez de préventes et une affluence modeste, que nous pourrons par la suite estimer à moins de 500 personnes. Le surdosage de fumée du concert de 2006 aurait-il découragé le public Montréalais à revenir ce soir ?
We go from a 2350 capacity concert hall in 2006 at the Metropolis to a 850 capacity hall this night at the Club Soda. The balcony is closed to the public, which lets us guess that there wasn't enough pre-sold tickets, and a modest affluence, which we could later confirm with an approximation estimation of 500 people. Did the over abuse of smoke in 2006 discouraged Montreal's public to come back tonight ?

A ma grande surprise, une première partie Québécoise (The Monarchy - www.myspace.com/themonarchymusic) remplace le groupe Iranien Hypernova prévu sur la tournée pour un show sans grand intérêt.

Suivra un concert de 80 minutes de The Sisters Of Mercy, avec moins de fumée qu'en 2006, un bon son global, un Andrew limite détendu sur scène à la voix très claire (merci le nouveau soundman).
To my great surprise, a first Quebecquer part was held by The Monarchy - replacing the Iranian group Hypernova which was booked and sceduled for a show without great interest. (or public response in terms of tickets sold before the night)

Will follow an 80 minutes concert from The Sisters of Mercy, with less smoke than in 2006, a generally good sound, an Andrew boderline relaxed on stage (Edit from Emi : I would say comfortable) and with a really clear voice (thank you to the new sound guy)
Pas de grosse surprise néanmoins dans la setlist pour ce concert de début de tournée (3e date d'une série de 26). J'apprécie tout de même le retour de "Marian", content d'entendre "Still" pour la deuxième fois en live; et aussi un enchainement mémorable de "Marian", "Alice", "Anaconda" et "Giving Ground" à la suite. Je regrette quand même l'absence de "Floorshow" et de "Logic" qui seront joués sur d'autres dates de la tournée Nord-Américaine...

Ben et Chris semblent maintenant avoir parfaitement trouvé leur place dans le groupe. Un ami qui n'avait pas vu le groupe en concert depuis 1993 qualifiera néanmoins le son actuel de "métal".
No big surprise in the set list though for this concert of tour debut (3rd in date from a total of 26). I appreciate nevertheless the return of Marian, happy to hear Still for the second time live ; and also a memorable back to back Marian, Alice, Anaconda and Giving Ground. I still regret the absence of Floorshow and Logic which will be played in other representations of the North American tour.

Ben and Chris seem to have now perfectly found their places among the band. A friend who has not seen the band since 1993 will qualify their actual sound of "metal-ish". (Emi's edit : yeah, the guitars were crispy and a whole lot more present then on the official or bootleg pieces, Chris and Ben are really into it and are giving the best to make each song really hard core fun and intense for the ears and the heart.)
Le set principal s'arrêtera sur "First & Last & Always", soit 2 titres de moins par rapport à la setlist originale, nous privant de "Romeo Down" et "Flood II".

Ben nous rejoindra aux Foufounes Electriques pour une bière après le show, avant le départ du groupe le soir même à Philadelphie (750 km).
The principal set list ended with First and Last and Always, which makes it shorter by 2 titles from the original set list, depriving us from Romeo Down and Flood II.

Ben will come with us to the Foufounes Electriques for a beer after the show, before the leave of group the same night for Philadelpha (750 km).
(Emi's edit : the Foufounes is a nearby club on St-Laurent)
Slight Overbomber

Thank you for going to the trouble of translating!

I got the gist alright, but...my own transcription would have been much clumsier, I must admit :(
Les vertiges de l'amour et les effets de la drogue.
You and me both - and a couple of others I could name :innocent:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
ailime
Amphetamine Filth

You welcome - I felt like giving a chance to the anglophone fans to at least know what was said :D
Road Kill

7anthea7 wrote:
sunshine wrote:My French is non-existent. :) Tell me please: are there only 4 pictures or am I missing something? :)
Mine is only decrepit :wink:

There are only four for that date. There are more other in other articles (Articles on the menu, then " Suivant > " at the bottom of the page), and in the Paris 2006 section (just keep clicking on anything that says "Photos" until you get there - you need to drill sort of deep).
Thanks a lot! I've already been under those " Suivant > " links, but I wouldn't have found the Paris 2006 section without the kind help of yours :)

And thank you, ailime, for the translation!
JeffDub
Road Kill

doctoravalanche wrote:A new review (in french) is online on my website, with some photos that maybe you haven't seen yet :

http://thesistersofmercy.free.fr/index. ... &Itemid=37

Enjoy !

great photos thanx !
doctoravalanche

Does anybody already posted the link towards the interview of AE in Montreal ?

http://patwhite.com/node/5556
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

haven't seen it, so thanks. Probably in the media section...?

"AE: Musically there's not a lot that intrigues us at the moment. The news on the internet is reasonably depressing. BBC Radio 4 is my preferred choice."

Who says you wouldn't say he's older than Obama...

nice though. The "new material" surprises me...
guns & cars & accidents
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

"The show itself will be like a freight train painted in the shiniest yellows and blues"

Though sometimes drifting in a weird place, mister.
guns & cars & accidents