Is there life out there?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

psichonaut wrote:not that one but it was similar to this face
I had no idea that Winston was an alien...! :lol: :eek:
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
psichonaut
Overbomber

EvilBastard wrote:
psichonaut wrote:not that one but it was similar to this face
I had no idea that Winston was an alien...! :lol: :eek:
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
thanks...my Lord...i'm unbeliver
tear up your pants for psicho...and jump on him
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

This the fella Marco?

Also not an alien.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
darkparticle
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

NO!
We're definitely unique with a weakness for thinking we ain't so special
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We ain't so special though... :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
darkparticle

just me then?

I could be wrong though....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 32483.html
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

darkparticle wrote:
just me then?

I could be wrong though....http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 32483.html
:lol:

Phil Plait's take on that story: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... en-energy/
BadAstronomy wrote:Image
;)
—Bertrand Russell
darkparticle

MrFiend :notworthy: your ability to seek out obscure and twisted websense is impressive. You must waste more time o't web than me....again :notworthy: I take my tin-foil hat off to you

That's a badass site, easy to get lost in there!

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

darkparticle wrote:You must waste more time o't web than me
I do it for a living mate ;D
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

A lot of people do it for a living. Until their bosses catch them...
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:A lot of people do it for a living. Until their bosses catch them...
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote:A lot of people do it for a living. Until their bosses catch them...
:oops:

We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

There is probably not much intelligent life out there right now.

Life needs complex molecules; complex molecules which are created during the lifetime of a sun.

The age of the universe is around 14 billion years old. Our sun's lifecycle is expected to be around 10 billion years, although different sized suns can burn out much quicker.

Therefore our solar system is probably only a second or at most third generation system.

We are very early in the lifecycle of the universe. Life has not had much time to develop.

And if there is life out there, if the speed of light is truly the universe's speed limit, its very unlikely they have had time to visit us.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

nodubmanshouts wrote:We are very early in the lifecycle of the universe. Life has not had much time to develop.
Who says we're talking exclusively about our solar system? ;)
nodubmanshouts wrote:And if there is life out there, if the speed of light is truly the universe's speed limit, its very unlikely they have had time to visit us.
...which doesn't prove anything.
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
nodubmanshouts

I wasn't really talking about our solar system.... I'm saying that the life cycle of stars in general means that there have been only one or at most two generations of complex-atom producing stars up to this point in time. Which makes it likely that we are one of the first lifeforms to develop, as there weren't the atoms or molecules available until relatively recently in the history of the universe.
eotunun
Overbomber

nodubmanshouts wrote:I wasn't really talking about our solar system.... I'm saying that the life cycle of stars in general means that there have been only one or at most two generations of complex-atom producing stars up to this point in time. Which makes it likely that we are one of the first lifeforms to develop, as there weren't the atoms or molecules available until relatively recently in the history of the universe.
As the first generations of stars were rather heavy, thus, according to the Russel-Hertzsprung diagram, quickly burning, it's rather possible that the limited lifespan of those stars would set a limit to the lifespan of its planet's inhabitants. Any inteligent life there would be a sad waste, as its highest developed idea probably would be something like "I am therefore I think that my [Equvalent of alien's body to an arse] will get a good roasting at tomorrow's lunchtime when that Supernova hits us."
Generally a good point you made there, but if you remember that life occured on earth very soon after it had cooled down enough to allow it I guess that deveolpment of life does go fast and surely did occur in less enduring early systems as well.
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I've just realised one vital matter that we've been missing in this discussion:

does God give a s**t about other planets?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
nodubmanshouts

More importantly

do other planets give a s**t about god?
eotunun
Overbomber

Aren't they the lucky ones?
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:does God give a s**t about other planets?
It's actually quite an in-depth discussion among some (specifically Christian) theologians.

Presumably other alien races (assuming they exist) had their own "Fall" analogous to the Adam and Eve story; so they also need redemption. The only valid form of redemption is (according to the theory) the sacrifice of Jesus. So does this mean that God-the-son has been bouncing round the universe, incarnating again and again, only to be repeatedly crucified?
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

why is that the only valid form of redemption?

surely its as barbarous as it is short-sighted to murder the son of god?

are theologians suggesting that other 'alien' species are as wicked, cruel and un-reconstructed as us earthlings?

i don't buy any of it. and by that, i mean ANY of it. both sides.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
eotunun
Overbomber

Now that would be a crappy job. If he didn't quit it immediately he'd somehow deserve no better.
Oh, and if the Monty Pythons accidently were right about the Blamanches from Beteigueze, how do you nail one to a cross? :lol:
~Rufus T. Firefly
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

eotunun wrote:Now that would be a crappy job. If he didn't quit it immediately he'd somehow deserve no better.
Oh, and if the Monty Pythons accidently were right about the Blamanches from Beteigueze, how do you nail one to a cross? :lol:
you wouldn't. you'd hang it from a tree.

but in a bag, not a net... ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
eotunun
Overbomber

As destruction of sa(i)d individual would be the task, the net would do just a good job. Problem solved. ;D
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote:why is that the only valid form of redemption?

surely its as barbarous as it is short-sighted to murder the son of god?

are theologians suggesting that other 'alien' species are as wicked, cruel and un-reconstructed as us earthlings?

i don't buy any of it. and by that, i mean ANY of it. both sides.
Bearing in mind that this is a half-remembered article that I can't find on google.

1) John 14:6 'Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."'

2) Take that up with the theologians...

3) Yup. Free will seems to necessitate a Fall for some reason.

4) Agreed ;)

I'm agnostic about the whole aliens issue TBH, We have insufficient data to decide.
—Bertrand Russell