I love The Sisters Of Mercy!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Scardwel wrote:keep taking the tablets... :wink:
Wibble!
Goths have feelings too
_emma_
Overbomber

OK. I managed to keep quiet last night, so I let myself post a very reasonable and sober thought now, completely devoid of any adult content:
I love them because they play gigs with bad sound and too much smoke, and their singer is a bald old man who often got out of tune when he was young and had the voice, and now he doesn't get out of tune so often because he doesn't have that voice anymore. And no one knows what his lyrics are about. And his decisions are imppossible to understand. And he sometimes wears ridiculous clothes and has weird moves. All the above means that none of the people from my closest environment (including myself) know why I love this band. :D
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Love them because every old sock needs an old shoe...
The Chancer Corporation
mh
Above the Chemist

_emma_ wrote:OK. I managed to keep quiet last night, so I let myself post a very reasonable and sober thought now, completely devoid of any adult content:
I love them because they play gigs with bad sound and too much smoke, and their singer is a bald old man who often got out of tune when he was young and had the voice, and now he doesn't get out of tune so often because he doesn't have that voice anymore. And no one knows what his lyrics are about. And his decisions are imppossible to understand. And he sometimes wears ridiculous clothes and has weird moves. All the above means that none of the people from my closest environment (including myself) know why I love this band. :D
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:

Sums it up pretty well! :D
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
despair
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

My neighbors probably hate them ;D
Nicole
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
_emma_ wrote:OK. I managed to keep quiet last night, so I let myself post a very reasonable and sober thought now, completely devoid of any adult content:
:notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:

Sums it up pretty well! :D
Seconded! :notworthy:

Great post - I love it! :lol:
...with the wind in our face and our arms open wide...
Emily
Road Kill

When I think about it, the Band (not even a real band :D) is not so good... but damn it, nevertheless I love it anyway *g*.

I can't even say why, and that's the point. But it makes me happy, the songs are able to make me happy even when I am feeling like crap.
eotunun
Overbomber

The personal preferences..
The Sisters simply make make me resonate with their music. It's the best way for me to put it.
The enigmatic aura that surrounded the band for me when I got to know them still is there for me, the lyrics that made me think a lot about them (Which mainly resulted in me reading into them the most inspiring nonsense) gave me many ideas, and actually made me start reading literature at all. (Still I should do more of that to get at least some culture into my Krautian brain).
I said it in a similar thread, the best picture I have to offer for what difference the Sisters make for me compared to other bands: Others are like toy dolls, like thoseStar Wars Action Figures one got in the late seventies: Plastic with paint, one can grip them, hold them, it's obvious how they are made and what to do with them.
The Sisters are more like a postcard with a holograpgic picture on it. (Now you know what was in my toybox back then.. :wink: ) It will have you sitting there, think about how it works, how they made it, send your ideas spinning in all directions (..and now you know how I spent the better part of my childhood! :lol: ). That postcard was so much more inspiring. And cheaper.
The Sisters are value for Money!
I like a lot of bands from various genres. But there's one all time favourite since I got to know the band better, that's The Sisters of Mercy
There is shadow under this red rock
Harvey Winston
Amphetamine Filth

I love them because they've written two of the best rock'n'roll songs ever.
paul
Overbomber

I hate them, Tokio Hotel rulezzz ...
_emma_
Overbomber

eotunun wrote:I said it in a similar thread, the best picture I have to offer for what difference the Sisters make for me compared to other bands: Others are like toy dolls, like thoseStar Wars Action Figures one got in the late seventies: Plastic with paint, one can grip them, hold them, it's obvious how they are made and what to do with them.
The Sisters are more like a postcard with a holograpgic picture on it. (Now you know what was in my toybox back then.. :wink: ) It will have you sitting there, think about how it works, how they made it, send your ideas spinning in all directions (..and now you know how I spent the better part of my childhood! :lol: ). That postcard was so much more inspiring. And cheaper.
The Sisters are value for Money!
I like a lot of bands from various genres. But there's one all time favourite since I got to know the band better, that's The Sisters of Mercy
Now THAT is a great summary.
Yes by all means. :notworthy:
This sums it up just as precisely as the song which I'm using in my signature below. :notworthy:
Caravaggio
Road Kill

I just listened to the 2001 Hamburg gig and I have to admit, i love them more than ever. Especially the "new" songs have so much power that I don't need an offical album at all (& the slow version of Body Electric is incredible). And I'm not even drunk.

I wish it was 8 years ago...

(still looking forward to the Zürich-gig though...kind of...I'm going with a 20 year old "kid" and I'm not sure if this is going to be embarassing)
There have been better plans
But none that I could ever understand...
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

Christ I was drunk when I started this topic... :urff:
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Purple Light wrote:Christ I was drunk when I started this topic... :urff:
But look at all the fun that was had at your expense! :D
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I love the Sisters because they created 'Alice' & 'Temple Of Love' and they have always been unfashionably out of sync with the current music scene.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

14 february 1985 to present day....

SISTERS FOREVER - FOREVER SISTERS! :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:SISTERS FOREVER - FOREVER SISTERS! :von:
World without end, amen... 8)
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Silver_Owl
The Don

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:14 february 1985 to present day....

SISTERS FOREVER - FOREVER SISTERS! :von:
Amen indeed. :notworthy:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Back in time

This topic really made me register and it was time anyway. New here, but with their music since 1988. Unfortunately not at so many gigs, but still managed to get to ones at home. The new gig is coming and I feel it every day more and more, counting days is becoming tiresome.
And yes, they are the only band I love (there are some others that I like, but it cannot be compared) and I am not sure why, but it must have something to do with the lyrics, the voice, the music - basically with everything.
If I recall, it started with "Marian".
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Welcome to the madhouse, Back in time. :D

If this is the kind of topic that could get you to de-lurk, we're friends already. :notworthy:
--Elizabeth von Arnim
Back in time

7anthea7 wrote:Welcome to the madhouse, Back in time. :D

If this is the kind of topic that could get you to de-lurk, we're friends already. :notworthy:
It is always nice to feel welcome, the passion we share will help. Thanks 7anthea7.
Purple Light
Slight Overbomber

& I now feel a little less embarrassed about starting this thread whilst heavily drunk!

Welcome. :D
“I got lost in the mirror, wondering what could have been, I couldn’t help but kill her, but I couldn’t kill the dream.”
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I don't know why I do. I just...do!
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

without them, no 'here' and besides the fact they are/were/could be one of the best bands ever-this place truly rocks-even when it pissed me off :wink:

Besides when I woz wee, The girls were just IT
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
Back in time

Purple Light wrote:& I now feel a little less embarrassed about starting this thread whilst heavily drunk!

Welcome. :D
I can imagine what happened, but sometimes these are the best moments.