First and Last and Forever

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Glad to be of help. It really is an abominable record, with that one notable exception. I may take you up on that pint if I'm ever on your side of the planet.

For those keeping score at home, that means good TSOM covers have been performed by:
Lambchop
the Supersuckers
Automatic Head Detonator

As much as I love Foetus, he just phoned it in on his cover of FALAA. He could have done much better.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

I haven't heard Lambchop cover the Sisters but if it's anything like their other material, I think I'll avoid it.

http://www.last.fm/music/Ego+Likeness/_/Afterhours

Ego Likeness is a goth/darkwave act, female vocals primarily. Very atmospheric music, no pseudo aggression and/or machismo. Just very laid back. Afterhours is more delicate sounding due to Donna's vocals, and very soothing. It isn't like the original, and some may say "they missed the point". But imo a cover should be about a band taking a song they like and doing their own thing with it, in a way making it their own. And I think Ego did just that with Afterhours.

If I want to hear more rock like versions of Sisters songs, I can listen to the Sisters. So when it comes to the covers, I prefer to hear something different. I wouldn't mind hearing a hip hop cover of the Sisters. Eminem should do More, it would be entertaining.
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Deviancy wrote:...I prefer to hear something different. I wouldn't mind hearing a hip hop cover of the Sisters. Eminem should do More, it would be entertaining.
if it's entertainment you're after, check out Abrimaal's version on youtube ;D :innocent:
lachert
Overbomber

i don't know why but i like this one:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SDQ79348
long live rock'n'roll
methadrine
Road Kill

Deviancy wrote:I haven't heard Lambchop cover the Sisters but if it's anything like their other material, I think I'll avoid it.
Have a go at it here then. Personally I think it's superb... a more melancholic version some might say.
30 seconds of listening and then I was off to iTunes to buy it. Bloody brilliant.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

Ok, the Lambchop cover isn't bad. It's not my preferred style of music, but they get props for doing something creative with the song. It's kind of weird hearing bands outside of the goth circle covering super goth bands, but I guess there's more of a chance of expirementation when that happens.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Deviancy wrote:It's kind of weird hearing bands outside of the goth circle covering super goth bands...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Erm, well...aaahhhhh...umm, that is to say...

Ennnnhhhhhhh!!!

Thank you for playing! ;D
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim
sultan2075
Overbomber

lachert wrote:i don't know why but i like this one:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SDQ79348
Yeah, I quite like it too--and I lost my copy in a hard drive crash, so thanks for putting this up!

As for the Supersuckers: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FNRBF4VG

Personally, I think it's one of the best--scratch that; I think it's hands down the best TSOM cover I've ever heard.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Dark
Underneath the Rock

There is a REALLY f**king GOOD version of Heartland, which I thought was by Triana, but I think it's actually by Frown.

And I remember hearing a great version of Amphetamine Logic (was it ASP?) which was sung in an almost operatic German accent. Was that this version? (I seem to recall Terminal Choice's version of Something Fast being done similarly... I dunno what it is about that style of singing that turns everyone off, but I think it's good that they're giving it a go.)

And hey, if anyone's that desperate to get rid of their copies, I can't download through this firewall
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

7anthea7 wrote: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Erm, well...aaahhhhh...umm, that is to say...

Ennnnhhhhhhh!!!

Thank you for playing! ;D
My bad, The Sisters is not a super goth band, they're an industrial groove machine.

The Eyes Wide Open cover of Nine While Nine isn't bad. May actually check out their other stuff.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Whoa,that lambchop cover of This Corrosion was amazing! Now I'm wishing Von had done a slow version,too.
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

The Sisters should have done an unplugged performance on MTV back in the day, I think it would have been entertaining.
Nadia81
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Oh,yes,I've just purchased Ego Likeness as well.Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
LouLou
Slight Overbomber

Deviancy wrote:The Sisters should have done an unplugged performance on MTV back in the day, I think it would have been entertaining.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i wonder how many AA batteries the poor doktor would need for the entire show...
sultan2075
Overbomber

Deviancy wrote:The Sisters should have done an unplugged performance on MTV back in the day, I think it would have been entertaining.
You know, it's remarkable how good the FALAA-and-earlier stuff sounds played with banjos and acoustic guitars (some old friends and I used to do that sort of thing while killing off bottles of bourbon). Seriously, those songs hold up well, and really lend themselves to that sort of treatment. I'd love to hear a (well-done) record of their stuff done like that.
--
Deviancy
Amphetamine Filth

I'm sure the Dok is going green these days and using solar panels.

But if he wanted to be artistic, the dok sit this one out and they'd bring in a live drummer. I'm not sure what set list I'd want to hear, I know I'd want to hear Some Kind of Stranger, Nine While Nine, and More though. But I think it would be great for marketing, bring back some of those who've given up on the band and maybe even score some new fans.

One can dream.
7anthea7
Slight Overbomber

Deviancy wrote:But if he wanted to be artistic, the dok sit this one out and they'd bring in a live drummer...

One can dream.
About everything but a live drummer - that would make one delusional. :wink:
Who can begin conventional amiability the first thing in the morning?
It is the hour of savage instincts and natural tendencies.
--Elizabeth von Arnim