The new Dr Who, what do you think?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:For what it's worth, I lost interest about halfway through David Tennant's tenure.
Considering this thread is about Matt Smith, not much! :P :wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
streamline
Slight Overbomber

I really enjoyed the first episode. The story wasn't the best, but it was more about introducing the new doctor. I thought there were a few nice nods back to previous Doctors and I liked his more scatty persona until his regeneration settled down and he "became" the Doctor when he was telling the Atraxi off.

Liked Amy Pond as well! Although I can't see us seeing her in a miniskirt again :(

Good start - mind you I have always been a huge fan of Moffatt and I am expecting much more. Although I will not be missing RTD's unsubtle political posturing!

I trust you trust in me to mistrust you
Big Si
School Bully

streamline wrote:Liked Amy Pond as well! Although I can't see us seeing her in a miniskirt again :(
Check the various preview vids on youtube - Blink and you'll miss 'em (HOT! pants and tight jeans) :wink: ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Big Si
School Bully

markfiend wrote:For what it's worth, I lost interest about halfway through David Tennant's tenure.
I started to lose interest during Colin Baker's tenure. Ecclestone's I completely missed because when it was on I was in the pub after the fitba, and I only caught Tennant's because there was nowt else on TV.

But I have to say that I do see a lot of potential in Matt Smith :D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Reserving judgement on the Eleventh until I've seen more episodes.

The TARDIS refit is bilge though.

Oh, and he got a new screwdriver? I thought they'd finally cured themselves of the Deus Ex Machina addiction - but hell, if it can be merchandised to the hilt, why not?

:roll:
Big Si
School Bully

timsinister wrote:Reserving judgement on the Eleventh until I've seen more episodes.

Oh, and he got a new screwdriver? I thought they'd finally cured themselves of the Deus Ex Machina addiction - but hell, if it can be merchandised to the hilt, why not?

Well if you were a kid, what would you prefer? A toy lightsabre or a sonic screwdriver? :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Big Si wrote:
timsinister wrote:Reserving judgement on the Eleventh until I've seen more episodes.

Well if you were a kid, what would you prefer? A toy lightsabre or a sonic screwdriver? :wink:
A blow up assistant :innocent:
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Big Si wrote:Well if you were a kid, what would you prefer? A toy lightsabre or a sonic screwdriver? :wink:
Well, I've got a lightsaber. An elegant weapon for a more civilised age.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

weebleswobble wrote:
Big Si wrote:
A blow up assistant :innocent:
Christ, I'd inflate her BUT ANYWAY THAT'S NOT THE QUESTION!

The Doctor shouldn't need fancy gadgets to extricate himself from every situation the scriptwriters can't be arsed thinking of a clever way out of.

I suppose I've become the bitter old fan who forgets there ARE young kids out there who do want bells, whistles and light-up toys!

I'd settle for lighting up Amy Pond GODAMNIT NOT AGAIN...

*quiet lie down time*
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Afraid my interest waned after this guy;

Four strings good, six strings bad
DerekR
Doobie Brother

Got round to watching this last night. Wasnae bad, for a kids program like :P

Bit distracted by the legs, not that I'm complaining :innocent:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

DerekR wrote:
Bit distracted by the legs, not that I'm complaining :innocent:
never.missing.an.episode.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

timsinister wrote:The Doctor shouldn't need fancy gadgets to extricate himself from every situation the scriptwriters can't be arsed thinking of a clever way out of.

I suppose I've become the bitter old fan who forgets there ARE young kids out there who do want bells, whistles and light-up toys!
When I was a kid (Tom Baker era) I loved the sonic screwdriver. But then it was just a tool for opening doors, nobbling computers etc. It wasn't the magic wand that it's become now, which can, for God's sake, mend fences and probably whip up a three course meal if you use the right setting. A simple, fun gadget is fine but something that, as you say, stifles creativity and leads to lazy scripting is just wrong.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

:notworthy:

Truer word never said! Afraid by the second episode, seems they're not going to let this one go. It's now a tricorder which lets him take all manner of plot-advancing readings, and also induce vomiting in star whales. So you know.

A bad second episode, anyone notice how they glued the 'Smilers' into the plot to make it scarier, but never really explained what they were or where they came from?

Interesting flash of callousness from the Eleventh Doctor, steeling himself to brain-fry the whale...but didn't it occur to him to try and CONVERSE with the big fish?
We've come a long way from the reluctant Fourth Doctor in Genesis of the Daleks, it seems. Still angsting over the fall of the Time Lords for dramatic effect as well - considering he's condemned them already since the show came back, this seems a little cavalier you know?

Also wish they could let us get through the series without the 'cryptic' references to the over-arching plot - notice the 'break' in space-time on Starship UK's hull? Man, take a leaf out of the X-Files book and play it a LOT cooler.

And next week - Daleks. Well fook me if it isn't a whirlwind of new adventures.

bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Had previously thought the Tennant was the bee's knee's and utterly irreplacable but was then soundly shown up for the fickle little s**t that I am, by proudly announcing there's only one doctor & his name is Smith (in much the same way as I'd done with the transition from ecceleston!)
Music s**t tho!
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

timsinister wrote:Man, take a leaf out of the X-Files book and play it a LOT cooler.
You mean make the backstory hideously complicated and impenetrable unless you've watched every episode twelve times and taken notes?

Agree about the Daleks though.
moses
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:
timsinister wrote:Man, take a leaf out of the X-Files book and play it a LOT cooler.
You mean make the backstory hideously complicated and impenetrable unless you've watched every episode twelve times and taken notes?

Too right. The X-Files imploded under the weight of its own back-story in the end.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Maisey
Slight Overbomber

My opnion on the last episode (The Beast Below), copied over from a post on LiveJournal:

There seemed to be an incredible lack of... justice to the whole thing.

I mean, they did spend 300 years ruthelessly torturing a sentient being because of a fear of just one possible scenario. Also, Amy made these grand comparisons between the whale and the Doctor, but if the Doctor had been subjugated to that sort of treatment he'd probably have made a good crack at wiping out their entire f**king race in a fit of righteous space policeman fury. Not, in fact, just carry on swimming happily, grateful they finally stopped shooting heat rays directly into his brain.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, because I did. The heart wrenching battle between survival and humanity was a wonderful concept, but the assumption that ignorance justifies atrocity was hardly a good message.
Nationalise the f**king lot.
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

Amy Pond in a nightie

sopping wet

;D
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote:

Too right. The X-Files imploded under the weight of its own back-story in the end.
Hmm, granted it did nosedive...but for me, the achingly-subtle references to the 'arc' were a lot more gratifying than this clumsy, glaringly-obvious technique DW are using.

Mind you, Phono Paul put it best when he said trying to subscribe logic to what is essentially a children's television show will A) not work, and B) make you look like a whinging fanboy. :innocent:
Maisey wrote:...but if the Doctor had been subjugated to that sort of treatment he'd probably have made a good crack at wiping out their entire f**king race in a fit of righteous space policeman fury.
Bloody good point. I suspect the scriptwriters are grappling with making the Eleventh Doctor seem like the "lonely God, last of the Time Lords, serious type" whilst at the same time having him run around like a rubber-faced goon for the children. And making a damn mess of it.
moses

timsinister wrote:
markfiend wrote:
stufarq wrote: You mean make the backstory hideously complicated and impenetrable unless you've watched every episode twelve times and taken notes?

Hmm, granted it did nosedive...but for me, the achingly-subtle references to the 'arc' were a lot more gratifying than this clumsy, glaringly-obvious technique DW are using.

Mind you, Phono Paul put it best when he said trying to subscribe logic to what is essentially a children's television show will A) not work, and B) make you look like a whinging fanboy. :innocent:
Maisey wrote:...but if the Doctor had been subjugated to that sort of treatment he'd probably have made a good crack at wiping out their entire f**king race in a fit of righteous space policeman fury.
Bloody good point. I suspect the scriptwriters are grappling with making the Eleventh Doctor seem like the "lonely God, last of the Time Lords, serious type" whilst at the same time having him run around like a rubber-faced goon for the children. And making a damn mess of it.
It's not reality, it's just a show. Timelords don't really exist. :roll:
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

:lol:

You're absolutely right. I don't dispute it for a second.

However, I protest, as I get 'into' things, and become fascinated with the continuity and lore of a fantasy universe, be it Star Trek or Lord of the Rings. Enjoy something for long enough, and you'll get miffed if someone comes along and out of the blue starts to change things, mess with characters, introduce sloppy scriptwriting.

I'm sure you'd react with a bit of passion if someone naffed around with a band you liked...?

And it's written Time Lord. :P :wink:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

moses wrote: It's not reality, it's just a show. Timelords don't really exist. :roll:
Only cos the Daleks wiped them out! Show some respect.
DeWinter

It's hardly likely it's the end for the Time Lords. The Daleks and Cybermen have been ressurected at least twice every season, so if the Doctor is feeling lonely, he only has to wait untill the script-writers run out of ideas again.
I'm interested who's going to be the "Big Bad" for this season though. They've still got the Valeyard, Rani, Omega and the Ice Warriors to bring back.
"Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood.."