Andrew Eldritch and Peter Hamill (yes PETER HAMMILL)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
itnAklipse
Slight Overbomber

orchoid wrote: I'm far from being alone in thinking that.
You know what's the difference of pure democracy and a constitutional republic?

Recognition that a multitude of idiots is not necessarily right - but that they also have their rights.

What did Gandhi say? Something to the effect that truth is truth, even in the minority of one.
we've got beer and we've got fuel
James Blast
Banned

go on, give us an original thought from your massif brain itnAcock, or are we not worthy or are you just waving yer 'old man' about and telling us you have read all these great people?

tit
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
James Blast
Banned

sorry Iz :|
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

orchoid wrote:
Being645 wrote: floorshow ... :lol: ...
- What does "floorshow ... :lol: ..." mean?

the idio... doh, wrong song... as you were

step back and watch the sweet things

anyway, MC5 and Stooges were first 68/69 they brought the word with them on tour to the UK in around 71. first adopted into a UK dictionary 1974

Bay city rollers, all that tartan and nothing to do. remember older kids in the park turning over night

i'm with being645 ;D
Last edited by paint it black on 16 Nov 2010, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Goths have feelings too
James Blast
Banned

rearrange the above words into a sentence or sentences that make sense
~ Peter Steele
Izzy HaveMercy

James Blast wrote:rearrange the above words into a sentence or sentences that make sense
THEN attempt to give a damn? ;D

IZ.
paint it black

James Blast wrote:rearrange the above words into a sentence or sentences that make sense
1) I think you need to grow up, you're acting like a child

2) it's like watching a Floorshow, some people are probably, to some extent, being entertained by your on-line performance - I'm waiting for the grand finale

3) Stu is wrong in his assumptions regarding the origins of the word 'punk', it was slightly earlier both in the US and the UK

4) The transition from Bay City Roller clothing to 'punk' clothing, was as you're no-doubt aware, reasonably common place at the time. for many the music followed the look and the 'attitude'. This was also the case of the BCR who were being badly 'advised'

Dick! :lol:

@ Iz, yep ;D
Goths have feelings too
Being645
Wiki Wizard

paint it black wrote:
2) it's like watching a Floorshow, some people are probably, to some extent, being entertained by your on-line performance - I'm waiting for the grand finale

Dick! :lol:

@ Iz, yep ;D
... completely agree to these ... can't possibly say anything as to the actual topic of this thread ... :wink:

I see you understand me, paint it black ... :D ...

paint it black wrote: 1) I think you need to grow up, you're acting like a child

hell, yes ... when the pressure gets too high, human beings tend to fall back to whatever their worst memory might offer ... :wink: ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:3) Stu is wrong in his assumptions regarding the origins of the word 'punk', it was slightly earlier both in the US and the UK
Didn't assume anything. Read it. And used the phrase "at least as early". But as my point was that the term was far older than 1975, you're basically backing up my argument. Care to cite the earlier sources?
Izzy HaveMercy

stufarq wrote:
paint it black wrote:3) Stu is wrong in his assumptions regarding the origins of the word 'punk', it was slightly earlier both in the US and the UK
Didn't assume anything. Read it. And used the phrase "at least as early". But as my point was that the term was far older than 1975, you're basically backing up my argument. Care to cite the earlier sources?
Nit far from wher PiB lives, you can still find cave drawings stating "FABRCICATI DIEM, PVNC" dating back 2000 years! :lol:

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

itnAklipse wrote:What did Gandhi say? Something to the effect that truth is truth, even in the minority of one.
I know it's not what you're thinking but:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick, How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
H. Blackrose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Meat Whiplash wrote:the VdGG are very Gothic so there is a connection
I've often maintained that "dark-side" 70's art-rock bands like VdGG, King Crimson or Magma are much more "gothic" than any dodgy-darkling outfit, and therefore have much more in common with the Sisters.

But if Peter Hammill is the Jimi Hendrix of vocals, then :von: is probably to vocals what Lemmy is to the bass. :)
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I have read this thread and I am a wee bit confused
Is the point put forward that Peter Hammill is responsible for The New York Dolls, David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, The Sisters Of Mercy and even The Bay City Rollers?
Without him the whole landscape of 1970's and 1980's music would just be so much barren wasteland?
I just thought he was some singer with a petty crap prog rock band - well that's what Gandhi told me.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
H. Blackrose

million voices wrote: I just thought he was some singer with a petty crap prog rock band
VdGG are not "prog rock", for the same reason the Sisters are not "goth".

million voices
Slight Overbomber

There is nothing wrong with being labelled prog rock, just as there is nothing wrong with being labelled goth.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
H. Blackrose

million voices wrote:There is nothing wrong with being labelled prog rock, just as there is nothing wrong with being labelled goth.
:von: and Peter Hammill beg to differ with you. QED.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

H. Blackrose wrote:Magma
Is it just me or is it impossible to read the word "magma" without hearing it in Dr Evil's voice?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

markfiend wrote:
Is it just me or is it impossible to read the word "magma" without hearing it in Dr Evil's voice?
Or translating as smegma. Or is that just me? :oops:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ew.
—Bertrand Russell
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Snooker player Steve Davis is obsessed with Magma.

Still, Smegma were way better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HHh2xWRFw
Izzy HaveMercy

metal on metal wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
markfiend wrote: Is it just me or is it impossible to read the word "magma" without hearing it in Dr Evil's voice?
Snooker player Steve Davis is obsessed with Magma.

Still, Smegma were way better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6HHh2xWRFw
rectal Smegma is even better! ;D

IZ.
James Blast
Banned

paint it black wrote:4) The transition from Bay City Roller clothing to 'punk' clothing, was as you're no-doubt aware, reasonably common place at the time. for many the music followed the look and the 'attitude'. This was also the case of the BCR who were being badly 'advised'
Utter Wank!
Cheese Helmet! :D
~ Peter Steele
paint it black

in our park the kids went from BCR to punk mainly by changing their clothes from flares to skin tight tartans. Maybe you weren't allowed out after school? or maybe your mom wouldn't let you wear cool clothes like the other kids?

Anyway, eg...

"Hey! Ho! Let's go!" - Ramones

"S-A! T-U-R, T-U-R! Day!" - BCR

good job the net was invented eh; you know, as a source of social interaction

@ Stu - good starting point 'open up and bleed' also 'please kill me'
Goths have feelings too
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

paint it black wrote:@ Stu - good starting point 'open up and bleed' also 'please kill me'
Sorry, haven't read either of them. Can you give any primary sources? I'd just be interested to know what the original references were.