Is there a studio version of We are the same (Suzanne)?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Rise891 wrote:Your making a huge assumption that Adam is approachable imho
No, I'm not making any "huge assumptions".

I just made the perfectly rational assumption that he has a social life and responds to outside stimuli occasionally.

I take it Chris used to know the guy quite well. Do you mean he's since become hostile to people in general, has gone insane, is a hermit, is in a coma, or what are you implying?
Petseri
Overbomber

He had been approached for an interview here, but he declined. Fair enough; I did not push him on it. That was a few years back, but after his time in the band.
Prescott
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Well, merch man Kenny said it's not Adam to blame for no new album, that there's only one guy to blame for that, implying Eldritch. Second, I get the impression Adam doesn't want to stir the pot, rock the boat, etc. Perhaps Eldritch likes recording yet prefers the ideas of singles to albums?Yet since singles are not really viable any more he does nothing, besides the recent mention of iTunes.I still believe there are a million legal entanglements also.That it could also be a silly little game, that it could be an Idiot Joke for an Idiot Nation.Finally, isn't it possible that with the live recordings being distributed by the fans, that the original reason for the studio recordings being distributed is fulfilled, so he feels it doesn't matter?
Perhaps also it's an aesthetic issue? That the live recordings are "truer" to what the Sisters are supposed to be all about anyways? Or that it's a return to "natural" or "original" Rock and Roll to only play live?I think there are many factors why there has not yet been a new record, since 1996.

I also believe that some of these factors have been sorted, and that we will eventually hold a new Sisters record in our hands and listen to it in our autos, or on iPhones or at home on our stereos.
"... because we're that kind of people."
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Prescott wrote:
Perhaps also it's an aesthetic issue? That the live recordings are "truer" to what the Sisters are supposed to be all about anyways? Or that it's a return to "natural" or "original" Rock and Roll to only play live?
While I'm convinced that releasing their own music without any record company involvement is what the Sisters should be doing, that's an interesting thought, especially when I think back to my early days as a Sisters fan. Me and my buddy used to compete over who had the most unreleased Sisters songs, and fans of other bands thought it was really weird -"you mean you have tons of bootlegs full of great unreleased songs by this band, and they've only released a few singles?". It was great fun. In a way, we've gone full circle now.

But still, I find it strange that the band finds it so hard to get an album together without record company involvement. They have a bunch of great unreleased songs, and studios are much cheaper now than they used to be. Book a month's studio time and get it over with. They're not Pink Floyd...

Prescott wrote: I also believe that some of these factors have been sorted, and that we will eventually hold a new Sisters record in our hands and listen to it in our autos, or on iPhones or at home on our stereos.
Sita

They are discussing it here:

Interview with Chris 2009 clicky

The interview starts right with the record question.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

Lots of rationalisations for not releasing an album. It's simply because Eldritch doesn't want it anymore.

Problem is, if you haven't released a new song in over 15 years, you get mentally blocked. Anything you would put out would have to be f**king unbelievable and we all know the hard times Von had with the entire Vision Thing album (with 100+ takes for most songs).

The man suffers from extreme fear of failure. It's a miracle that he even does live gigs every now and then (although hardly visible or audible).
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
centurionofprix

He's certainly been audible on the 2010 gigs. The style of the recent live shows gives hope that his interest has been rekindled (if it was ever lost).
Sita

The 2010 gigs sound amazing, wish I'd been there. I can't wait for next year! :D

@ Aazhyd, it makes sense, but still it's just a theory. And on a less psychological level I guess the truth is as simple as what Chris says.
centurionofprix

I recall Eldritch saying in some UTR issue that he thought of the Sisters mainly as a studio band, but do you think Susanne would work as well in the studio? It's so pretty otherwise that I think a bit of live spontaneity and grit does it good. And it's one of the songs the current Sisters really nail live.
H. Blackrose

I think we have to clarify - Von's tale is not that Adam is blocking a new album being released, it's that Adam is blocking songs he wrote being released online. And let's face it, online is the only feasible way we'll hear new Sisters studio works in any realistic scenario.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love." - :von: , 1993

"We will miss them when they are gone" - M. Andrews, 2024
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

Prescott wrote:I think there are many factors why there has not yet been a new record, since 1996.

Whoah - 1996? Did I miss one? Vision Thing was, sadly, 1990... 20 long years ago. :cry:
Being645
Wiki Wizard

.... and it seems like 25 years ... :wink: ...
Prescott

shivarising wrote:
Prescott wrote:I think there are many factors why there has not yet been a new record, since 1996.

Whoah - 1996? Did I miss one? Vision Thing was, sadly, 1990... 20 long years ago. :cry:
It's a matter of faith Shiva, but I think you might have missed two. ;)
"... because we're that kind of people."