The new album deal with MUTE RECORDS that never happened?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
originalgoth
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Being,
I wasn't complaining, I'm as happy as you & everyone else that we still at least get to see The Sisters.

If Von were to even sell CD-R's that he'd put together in his bedroom on a Saturday afternoon I'd buy them.
And I ride down the Highway 101
By the side of the ocean, headed for Sunset

Black Planet according to originalGoth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYeYgNIntQ
n'Emolicia
Amphetamine Filth

Me too.
...and some of us wandered off entirely on purpose.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

originalgoth wrote:Being,
I wasn't complaining, I'm as happy as you & everyone else that we still at least get to see The Sisters.

If Von were to even sell CD-R's that he'd put together in his bedroom on a Saturday afternoon I'd buy them.
Anyone else down with that..? Let's throw Elders a bone and announce we'd all happily take off his hands his collection of makeshift, home-burned CD-Rs of uber-secret tinkerings... :)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Being645
Intellectual Love God

yeah, and we're gonna love them, anyway ... ;D ;D ;D ... and blindly, and wrongly, and with all the low views, and the high ones,
and reacting dearly, and showing no move, and with the eyes open, and closed, in clear, and in cold, and with the heart to see,
and the heart driven, the heart torn, and the heart old, and young again, and care not, and care ...
markreed
Amphetamine Filth

Von doesn't strike me as - "difficult to work with" which is the usual excuse labels come out : if he was, we'd've seen a lot more guitarists run through the band - the last four (Robo, Ben, Chris, Adam) have all been with the band for a minimum of 6 years and up to 12 years. I suspect it's that Von is astute with a low s**t threshold for teh contempts labels often have for the meat/talent, and - to quote a friend of mine who had a major contract in the 90's - "I don't mind being screwed over by the label, as long as they do so competently".
Paulito
Road Kill

mh wrote:According to the official website (http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen/faqnorm/faqnorm.htm):
What happened to the 1991 truce with East West which involved Sisters records retaining WEA distribution in America (to satisfy Time Warner) and coming out via Mute (to satisfy the band - and Mute)?

We had to get away from Elektra, but we weren't allowed to move outside the Warner family. Mute was the only Warner-distributed label to have any interest in the band, and we liked them. We were getting on fine until the first Sisters/Mute record was due to come out.

Mute sent a fax to London, telling East West that East West's poor scheduling would damage the band in America. Nothing unusual (in our case) about the fax or its content. Unfortunately Mute sent a copy to Andrew, whereupon East West terminated the deal.

Since then the Sisters have had no representation in America. Having been on Elektra, we haven't really noticed the difference.
I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Paulito wrote:
mh wrote:According to the official website (http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen/faqnorm/faqnorm.htm):
What happened to the 1991 truce with East West which involved Sisters records retaining WEA distribution in America (to satisfy Time Warner) and coming out via Mute (to satisfy the band - and Mute)?

We had to get away from Elektra, but we weren't allowed to move outside the Warner family. Mute was the only Warner-distributed label to have any interest in the band, and we liked them. We were getting on fine until the first Sisters/Mute record was due to come out.

Mute sent a fax to London, telling East West that East West's poor scheduling would damage the band in America. Nothing unusual (in our case) about the fax or its content. Unfortunately Mute sent a copy to Andrew, whereupon East West terminated the deal.

Since then the Sisters have had no representation in America. Having been on Elektra, we haven't really noticed the difference.
I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
So that was long before any of the "new" songs were written ... :wink: ...
Camy
Road Kill

I know that i beat dead horse here, but.

Didn't Summer supposed come out as first single in some point?
Being645
Intellectual Love God

There is this Greek bootleg. I forgot, though, what is the b-side. Romeo Down, possibly. Recorded live in Beligum.

Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Paulito wrote:I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
i think you're right. from what (little) i know of mute as an "employer" (or whatever a label would call themselves un respect to their signed artists) they seem open to creative experiments and generally supportive of an artist's vision.

they'd have been a really good fit at the time, before eldritch became fixated on the whole "i cant record an album because its too expensive and no labels are good enough" thing :roll: :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
sultan2075
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
Paulito wrote:I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
i think you're right. from what (little) i know of mute as an "employer" (or whatever a label would call themselves un respect to their signed artists) they seem open to creative experiments and generally supportive of an artist's vision.

they'd have been a really good fit at the time, before eldritch became fixated on the whole "i cant record an album because its too expensive and no labels are good enough" thing :roll: :(
What could have been. This thread is wholly depressing.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
A_H
Road Kill

Paulito wrote: I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
They did a lovely job with Einstürzende Neubauten too, although am I alone in noticing that the thing these bands all had in common was massive, massive heroin problems?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

A_H wrote:
Paulito wrote: I agree,it would've been perfect. Mute handle Depeche Mode and Nick Cave perfectly...they let them make the records they want to make.
They did a lovely job with Einstürzende Neubauten too, although am I alone in noticing that the thing these bands all had in common was massive, massive heroin problems?
Good point. Maybe Mute have an H dealer on staff.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

like Factory and Creation did? :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Intellectual Love God

Camy wrote:I know that i beat dead horse here, but.

Yes.
Sisters Tours wrote:The stonking new singles

A single in April, "on the day after Mr Eldritch's contract officially expires" was supposed to release, as told in The Sisters of Mercy representative's mail to Dominion mailing list in 1997. According to Eldritch's interview for Orkus magazine in late 1997, the single was supposed to be either Summer or Come Together or War on Drugs, and was supposed to be followed by yet another one in June. According to what appeared in official Sisters site in early 2000, the first single had to be Summer (which "goes like a freight train painted in the shiniest yellows and blues"), coupled with either Adam's remix of it or an "orchestral version" of it (depends on which affiliated source you listen to) and one more new song. The site also mentioned that Sisters failed to release not two but "a trio of independent singles".
lachert
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
Camy wrote:I know that i beat dead horse here, but.

Yes.
Sisters Tours wrote:The stonking new singles

A single in April, "on the day after Mr Eldritch's contract officially expires" was supposed to release, as told in The Sisters of Mercy representative's mail to Dominion mailing list in 1997. According to Eldritch's interview for Orkus magazine in late 1997, the single was supposed to be either Summer or Come Together or War on Drugs, and was supposed to be followed by yet another one in June. According to what appeared in official Sisters site in early 2000, the first single had to be Summer (which "goes like a freight train painted in the shiniest yellows and blues"), coupled with either Adam's remix of it or an "orchestral version" of it (depends on which affiliated source you listen to) and one more new song. The site also mentioned that Sisters failed to release not two but "a trio of independent singles".
don't cry for me argentina:

long live rock'n'roll
Robson
Amphetamine Filth

halleluijah
- since 1992 -
copper
Amphetamine Filth

With Come Together and War on Drugs rumored to be the other two.

Then Adam (supposedly) turned around and said no.

Amusingly, the other two songs are written by :von:, so Adam would've had no claim on releasing them or not.

But you know how the story goes from here.