Von on Twitter (and Hi)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Void87 wrote:Thank you,

Excuse my ramblings, I'd delete them myself if I could but I can't find any such option.. :|
:lol: Don't worry 'bout it! :wink:
"as we walk on the floodland"
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

It's interesting that these days Baron refuses to acknowledge his fans with any modern - or indeed any - medium. He doesn't even employ any staff to do so, not that he'd even have to pay anyone.

Of course, this isn't contempt for us that he's showing, these days (ok, years). I think he's in a place none us probably understand, and we shouldn't really even try. As we can see at the moment, the press can really f**k people up and over, and Eldritch has been more outspoken than most in years past about his resolute rage toward the mainstream media.

Twatbook and MyFace could be just more of the same in his opinion, so even if he uses a pseudoID on such sites, he won't raise the Von personality over the parapet to indulge our demands etc for new material. The mainstream won't care what he does, he's not exactly Justin Beiber.
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Look around. Does our Paramount Leader need to arrange promotion, press contact, a dialogue with us? No. I travelled halfway up the country for a gig, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

Everything the band does is painstakingly dissected, discussed and debated on here - and to an even scarier degree on Dominion.

The only people who are louder than the most rabid fans, are the rabid critics who detest the lack of presence and lack of product - and they still hang around.

I've had friends come back from Sonisphere with no knowledge of the girls, and who are now fascinated. That's without press, promotion or product.

There's a vacuum sure - and we've all rushed in to fill it.

:von:
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:Look around. Does our Paramount Leader need to arrange promotion, press contact, a dialogue with us? No. I travelled halfway up the country for a gig, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

Everything the band does is painstakingly dissected, discussed and debated on here - and to an even scarier degree on Dominion.

The only people who are louder than the most rabid fans, are the rabid critics who detest the lack of presence and lack of product - and they still hang around.

I've had friends come back from Sonisphere with no knowledge of the girls, and who are now fascinated. That's without press, promotion or product.

There's a vacuum sure - and we've all rushed in to fill it.

:von:

I disagree that someone is either a rabid fan or a rabid critic in regard to the lack of product situation. Obviously Von owes us nothing, and we are priviledged that the Sisters still exist at all, but there's still something decidedly... off... about the whole 'Back Catalogue Only' circuit Von's been treading since the dawn of time.

The man needs a little visit from the Dreamlord, that'd sort him.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Machine Regime wrote:Obviously Von owes us nothing, and we are priviledged that the Sisters still exist at all, but there's still something decidedly... off... about the whole 'Back Catalogue Only' circuit Von's been treading since the dawn of time.
the last recorded work eldritch had anything remotely to do with was '...overbombing'. everything since has been purely down to the respective labels & copyright holders, with no input, consent or even (in some instances) awareness from the man himself.

'some girls...' was an attempt to get the early stuff back out in circulation in a way which made the band & label some more cash, and to stop (casual) fans being ripped off by bootleggers. in that respect it was a fairly typical 'back catalogue' release...

'...overbombing' was mainly a label-driven release, designed to be a vehicle to batch together the wea singles in a casual fan-friendly manner, and to promote the UTG single (which didn't have any other form of release to go with it)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Machine Regime wrote:I disagree that someone is either a rabid fan or a rabid critic in regard to the lack of product situation. Obviously Von owes us nothing, and we are priviledged that the Sisters still exist at all, but there's still something decidedly... off... about the whole 'Back Catalogue Only' circuit Von's been treading since the dawn of time.
What about the new stuff in the live line-up?
Machine Regime wrote: The man needs a little visit from the Dreamlord, that'd sort him.

Him? I doubt that skinny Fat Bob-a-like would get past AE's security detail, Endless powers or not!

:wink:
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:I disagree that someone is either a rabid fan or a rabid critic in regard to the lack of product situation. Obviously Von owes us nothing, and we are priviledged that the Sisters still exist at all, but there's still something decidedly... off... about the whole 'Back Catalogue Only' circuit Von's been treading since the dawn of time.
What about the new stuff in the live line-up?
Machine Regime wrote: The man needs a little visit from the Dreamlord, that'd sort him.

Him? I doubt that skinny Fat Bob-a-like would get past AE's security detail, Endless powers or not!

Naahh - I'm not refering to Neil Gaiman's foppish pre-Emo prince of evensong, I'm talking about Toby Jones' potrayal of the Dream Lord (two words, my gaff): Doctor Who Relaunch Series Five; 'Amy's Choice; Episode Something Other.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Machine Regime wrote: Naahh - I'm not refering to Neil Gaiman's foppish pre-Emo prince of evensong, I'm talking about Toby Jones' potrayal of the Dream Lord (two words, my gaff): Doctor Who Relaunch Series Five; 'Amy's Choice; Episode Something Other.
Ah, then the same quasi-real aspect of the Doctor's personality that gave me the signature I now use.

I can't imagine AE's darker side. Presumably he lounges about in dressing gowns making creepy passes at gingers all the time...?

Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

timsinister wrote:
Machine Regime wrote: Naahh - I'm not refering to Neil Gaiman's foppish pre-Emo prince of evensong, I'm talking about Toby Jones' potrayal of the Dream Lord (two words, my gaff): Doctor Who Relaunch Series Five; 'Amy's Choice; Episode Something Other.
Ah, then the same quasi-real aspect of the Doctor's personality that gave me the signature I now use.

I can't imagine AE's darker side. Presumably he lounges about in dressing gowns making creepy passes at gingers all the time...?

Andrew Eldritch likes to make a lot of allusions that he gets lots sex, which probably means he doesn't, so you're probably right. Probably doesn't even mind if his sought-after conquests aren't ginge - "anything I can get" :von:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Machine Regime wrote: Andrew Eldritch likes to make a lot of allusions that he gets lots sex, which probably means he doesn't, so you're probably right. Probably doesn't even mind if his sought-after conquests aren't ginge - "anything I can get" :von:
... as has been the common convention for and among the male part of our population ... only he takes the thing so far, it is hard to ignore the irony ...

Anyway, some succeed ... :D ...
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Machine Regime wrote:It's interesting that these days Baron refuses to acknowledge his fans with any modern - or indeed any - medium. He doesn't even employ any staff to do so, not that he'd even have to pay anyone.
There is a website and someone runs it. Admittedly it's not updated very often or even with much urgency when things are actually happening but it does exist and presumably he feels that's enough. Perhaps Von has no interest in social networking, which is a very sensible position in my book. Yes, it's a very useful tool in a commercial sense (cf Lily Allen Arctic Monkeys) but someone who has no interest in releasing a commercial product and is quite happy to just play live to his existing fanbase probably doesn't feel much need for that aspect of it. So, like many of us, Von doesn't do Farcebook, Twatter or anything else where you count the number of imaginary friends you've never met.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

stufarq wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:It's interesting that these days Baron refuses to acknowledge his fans with any modern - or indeed any - medium. He doesn't even employ any staff to do so, not that he'd even have to pay anyone.
There is a website and someone runs it. Admittedly it's not updated very often or even with much urgency when things are actually happening but it does exist and presumably he feels that's enough. Perhaps Von has no interest in social networking, which is a very sensible position in my book. Yes, it's a very useful tool in a commercial sense (cf Lily Allen Arctic Monkeys) but someone who has no interest in releasing a commercial product and is quite happy to just play live to his existing fanbase probably doesn't feel much need for that aspect of it. So, like many of us, Von doesn't do Farcebook, Twatter or anything else where you count the number of imaginary friends you've never met.
Spot on.

Although I do feel a tinge of embarassment in saying so, as TMM hammer all social networking for our gigs.
Rita
Road Kill

H. Blackrose wrote:Andy has made it clear in interviews that he doesn't hold with all this Web 2.0 nonsense. Note that the Sisters website is still in static HTML without CSS and proud of it. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, it is scientifically proven that digital technology reached perfection in 2001. ;)
LOL That's just brilliant :)
~~~ Danish... With a dash of Sicilian! ~~~