Who are the best Sisters substitute?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
czuczu
Overbomber

Drum machine & 2 guitars?

Carter USM
sandy666
Road Kill

Leonard Coen.

His lyrics are filled with wit and have many levels - much like most of the sisters stuff. You can listen to his songs many times and can come up with multiple meanings. Some of them are decidedly filthy, if you are that inclined.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

As has already been said, FOTN for the late 80s during TSOM post Floodland silence. Then Type O Negative for the first few quiet years after Vision Thing. Back to the girls' back catalogue since.
Moonspell have had their moments, I suppose, but
if you want a real laugh, try Merciful Nuns ...
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Alternatives:
Swans
Sonic Youth
Rose of Avalanche
Play Dead

or for guitar overdose pummelling:
Ministry (+ offshoots)
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Thanks for reminding me, bearskin.
The Rose of Avalanche for the hiatus between FALAA and Floodland.
Anyone else remember the lengthy gaps in communication from Eldritch Towers in the 80s when we all just assumed that the band was no more ?
damagedone
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Can;t think of any better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp7P83feGpQ :D
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

Been listening to some of these suggestions, some real gems abound - along with some interesting detours too... Thanks, and if you have time, keep 'em coming. :)
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
moses

Quiff Boy wrote:
paul wrote:The Mish ofcourse ;-)
wow, if the merry thoughts are a second-string copycat band, that puts the mish at 3rd surely? ;D
But Hussey created that whole sound whilst he was in the band, the same sound he brought from Dead or Alive.

And I still don't see how The Sisters can be put in the same bag as Motorhead or The Ramones, that's just Eldritch suggesting it because he'd like you to think so.
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity
mh
Above the Chemist

moses wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
paul wrote:The Mish ofcourse ;-)
wow, if the merry thoughts are a second-string copycat band, that puts the mish at 3rd surely? ;D
But Hussey created that whole sound whilst he was in the band, the same sound he brought from Dead or Alive.
That actually raises a very interesting point. There are - as we all know - a number of different eras of the Sisters, and what the most appropriate substitute is would depend on which era one is looking for a substitute for.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

Nick Cave
"as we walk on the floodland"
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote:
moses wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: wow, if the merry thoughts are a second-string copycat band, that puts the mish at 3rd surely? ;D
That actually raises a very interesting point. There are - as we all know - a number of different eras of the Sisters, and what the most appropriate substitute is would depend on which era one is looking for a substitute for.

I'm a sucker for anything post VT-era, but I love to death everything from Floodland back to Alice/Floorshow era too. What I'm basically saying is I'm easy!
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
centurionofprix

Ghost Dance for the Gary Marx experience. Could even try The m*****n for some Wayne riffs, if you can tolerate the rest of it, and the early Sisters sounded a bit like Joy Division.

Fleetwood Mac, or Stevie Nicks.

Leonard Cohen for the lyrical aspect, as mentioned... Or even T.S. Eliot, if you haven't already read him.

John Cale.

The Cockney Rebel album Psychomodo doesn't sound much like the Sisters, but there is something in common. You might like some of the songs.

The Mumbles, guys from here at Heartland.
Last edited by centurionofprix on 05 Aug 2011, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
moses

mh wrote: That actually raises a very interesting point. There are - as we all know - a number of different eras of the Sisters, and what the most appropriate substitute is would depend on which era one is looking for a substitute for.
Substitues for the different eras:

Singles era - The March Violets
FLAA era - FOTN
Floodland era - The Glitter Band
VT era - The Cult.
James Blast
Banned

moses wrote:And I still don't see how The Sisters can be put in the same bag as Motorhead or The Ramones, that's just Eldritch suggesting it because he'd like you to think so.
agree strongly and I don't think that in the main people are naming reasonable 'subs' just other bands they really like, I mean The Smiths? FFS!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
moses

centurionofprix wrote: Leonard Cohen for the lyrical aspect, as mentioned... Or even T.S. Eliot, if you haven't already read him.
Suggested again.
czuczu
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
moses wrote:And I still don't see how The Sisters can be put in the same bag as Motorhead or The Ramones, that's just Eldritch suggesting it because he'd like you to think so.
agree strongly and I don't think that in the main people are naming reasonable 'subs' just other bands they really like, I mean The Smiths? FFS!
's true!
million voices
Slight Overbomber

They have been mentioned before, but I am anything if not unoriginal :-
THE MERRY THOUGHTS
Give them a few minutes and wait for the ideas that it is a total rip-off to dissipate. then just enjoy them as some form of ersatz Sisters - which is what you are after.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
million voices
Slight Overbomber

..... There CDs are out of print but I believe are available through Dark Circle
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
iesus
Overbomber

James Blast wrote:
to a subjective question you can have a subjective answer :wink:

there is no way that all the people around can answer such questions in an objective type of answer :roll:

therefor it would be normal to have 9,999,999 different answers from 9,999,999 people...
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Heartless
Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote:..... There CDs are out of print but I believe are available through Dark Circle
Also some unreleased stuff on their myspace page, and plenty of stuff on youtube nowadays (including a full concert).
No shade of anything can make a good summer over here.
Gary

Paradise Lost - One Second
10-E Rabid
Amphetamine Filth

George Jones n Waylon Jennings ;D
"Go forth and become a happy cabbage"
sultan2075
Overbomber

10-E Rabid wrote:George Jones n Waylon Jennings ;D
Hell yeah. I like my country singers to be drugbag fuckups (in that vein, let me recommend Hellbound Glory--the first LP, Scumbag Country, is bit better than the second, though they're both good. Well-written songs without the gimmickry that Hank III has really lapsed into.)

edit: here's a live recording I've not listened to yet: http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/hellb ... cker-swamp
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
susky
Road Kill

Gary wrote:Paradise Lost - One Second
Hell yeah. Of the "mid-period" Paradise Lost stuff, I liked Host more but One Second definitely has more of the Sisters' vibe.
Sita

Heavens, how could I read this thread for days and forget -

Lee Hazlewood! :eek:

I love love love the man. And if anyone says I'm just mentioning my favourite music, no I'm not. You can't get much darker, at least not with such style, and even quite some humour. Go listen to Nancy + Lee.
And while I'm at it, the most over-the-top and gloomy tunes in film history - kinda the Dominion of Spaghetti Western: Ennio Morricone :notworthy: