The worst gigs

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Sita
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Obviousman wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:They sure bored the hell out of me and our plan to relocate towards the bar was a most excellent one!
No doubt 8)
radiojamaica wrote:a slight case of history repeating then...
Aye! I thought the tension on stage to be pretty interesting though, it certainly doesn't rank as horrible, more as memorable for me...
I wish I could have seen that. Sounds memorable. Massive Bauhaus fan here :(

Apropos bad gigs - The Chemical Brothers. They didn't do anything horrible, but I had hoped for some nice visuals and a bit of atmosphere, but there was just absolutely nothing :urff:
Ahráyeph
Slight Overbomber

Yngwie Malmsteen at Graspop Metal Meeting in 2005. I was there on an endorsement clinic, so I decided to go check him out so I could at least say I had seen him. The guy's just a parody of himself; never seen anything as utterly laughable as this bare chested showoff. Sure, he can play fast, but for god's sake, if you're into that music, listen to it on the albums because once you've seen him live, it taints your mind forever.

On the same day and actually a not so nice surprise : Slayer going through the motions on autopilot. Not the kind of gig I expected from them, especially with Dave Lombardo back on the drum stool. I expected better from them, but it was a 'take the money and run' gig.

Bottom line : lightning does strike twice on the same day and the same main stage.

Another big stinker : Smashing Pumpkins at Werchter 1992. Billy Corgy was as stoned as the entire Rasta population of Jamaica and proceeded to a) play badly and b) interject with the lamest and most disrespectful on stage banter, to the point where James Iha felt he needed to apologise to the crowd. They did make up for it in '93, so that kind of made up for it... Actually no, it didn't... :twisted:
Garbageman

Primals at Marcus Garvey in Nottingham......I even told Bobby his band were s**t!! It was the Red Stripe talking
Like pushing a marsmallow into a piggy bank
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Sita wrote:
Obviousman wrote:
radiojamaica wrote:a slight case of history repeating then...
Aye! I thought the tension on stage to be pretty interesting though, it certainly doesn't rank as horrible, more as memorable for me...
I wish I could have seen that. Sounds memorable. Massive Bauhaus fan here :(
Yeah, you could look at it like that too of course: as a memorable gig, one for the history books and it really is like that...
On the other hand, seeing one of my favourite bands fall apart in front of me and a couple of thousand others is heartbreaking though.
That night I walked away fully aware that that was the last we'd see of Bauhaus.
in dub we trust
Ozpat
From the Lowlands

radiojamaica wrote: Another bad one was Metallica in Hasselt 1997. Hetfield in full Alcohollica mood and just nasty and disrespectful to everyone else.
Remember that one and kind of enjoyed it! :lol:

Worst by far: Marillion in 2002.
"as we walk on the floodland"
Silver_Owl
The Don

Garbageman wrote:Spear of Destiny one night at Rock City were abysmal.
Dreadful band. Saw them supporting The Cult a couple of years back.
Kirk Brandon needs a spear of destiny ramming up his arse. :evil:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Debaser
Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Iggy Pop on the Party tour in 81 was a depressing experience. Sad to see an idol sunk so low.
Coincidently and most probably the same tour, the same here too! He was a petulant git from start to finish, had a hissy fit when someone threw the mike stand back at him and stomped off the stage.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Even sounds like the same gig - Rock City (Nottingham). He was so bad there was only a half-hearted attempt from the audience to get him back on. Can't imagine Von being so prissy ...
Debaser
Overbomber

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Even sounds like the same gig - Rock City (Nottingham). He was so bad there was only a half-hearted attempt from the audience to get him back on.
The very same :D
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Ozpat wrote:
radiojamaica wrote: Another bad one was Metallica in Hasselt 1997. Hetfield in full Alcohollica mood and just nasty and disrespectful to everyone else.
Remember that one and kind of enjoyed it! :lol:
:lol:
Tastes & colours... one just cannot argue about it ;D

Really, it took me more than 10 years to give Metallica another chance after their 97 gig.
in dub we trust
James Blast
Banned

EatB, 1982 - the small hall underneath Dundee's Caird Hall major, eh... hall

tense, camoflaged, anglepoise, blurred, Fuel
nuff said ;D
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
scotty
Overbomber

The Sisters of Mercy, seen them 7/8 times, all but once, when they were "ok", they have broke my heart :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: .......guff.

Megadeath......guff.
Christian Death.....guff.
Rosetta Stone......goff guff.
Gene loves Jezabel.....guff.........sorry Derek!
Dawn After Dark.......guff.
Love/Hate......metal guff.
Testament......guff............to many to remember really :|
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
James Blast
Banned

FUD!
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Sunsonic
Amphetamine Filth

Hom_Corleone wrote:
He has, it was Boy George :innocent:
One life all I need
Pista
Cureboi

EATB
Brighton 87

Utterly yawn-worthy. :|

The Primatives supported IIRC & blew the Bunnies off the stage
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
DerekR
Doobie Brother

scotty wrote:The Sisters of Mercy, seen them 7/8 times, all but once, when they were "ok", they have broke my heart :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: .......guff.

Megadeath......guff.
Christian Death.....guff.
Rosetta Stone......goff guff.
Gene loves Jezabel.....guff.........sorry Derek!
Dawn After Dark.......guff.
Love/Hate......metal guff.
Testament......guff............to many to remember really :|
Wot no Ghostdance?...Oh aye! :innocent:
sam1

Sunsonic wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:
He has, it was Boy George :innocent:
I once saw Hugh Cornwall with support from Kirk Brandon,just after he lost the court case with Boy George in the late 90's--everyone was there to see Hugh,so the whole time Kirk was on,most of ,if not all the audience were shouting ," TAXI FOR O'DOWD..TAXI FOR O'DOWD " needless to say ,Kirk's support was not the longest set he's ever done!!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the chameleons - york 2002
a f*cking shambles. a quarter of the band was off their face on uppers, another quarter off their face on downers, and none of the equipment worked. they were unable to communicate with each other and dave was practically crying on stage he was so f*cked. there was no excuse - they are professionals and people paid money and travelled for that. for me that felt the beginning of the (second) end of things between mark & dave.

they played jillys rockworld in manchester the following night and that was also a shocker, but for different reasons. the band were fine, but the audience was rammed with big fat obnoxious, pi$$ed up old scallys from middleton who felt like they owned the band and wouldn't let anyone else get near the front or enjoy themselves... never felt so threatened at a gig in my life. i don't care if you did go to school with mark f*cking burgess, where were you when they played to 17 people in blackburn on a wet tuesday evening two weeks ago?? you're not fans, you're c**ts.

puressence - middleton civic 2002ish, i think
after sitting though 3 other sh*t bands ("skapa flow| anyone? sweet jesus!) to see puressence headline, they shambled on stage, jimmy swore a lot and they played for about 13 minutes before f*cking off... when puressence do it well, they do it VERY well. this was not one of those gigs however.

but the all time worst has to be...

the sisters - london astoria 2006
just awful. bad sound, bad performance, hostile crowd, & all capped off with that awful fur coat... wrong on every level. i could have cried they were that bad.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:the chameleons - york 2002
a f*cking shambles.
they shambled on stage, jimmy swore a lot and they played for about 13 minutes before f*cking off... when puressence do it well, they do it VERY well. this was not one of those gigs however.
I might just sit and wait for you lot to say which were s**t and I'll just pop in and say ' yessum, I was there too' :lol:

:eek: let's hope I'm not the cause :lol: :lol:

Bridgewater Hall - Words & Music 2005ish (mark E Smith, Howard Devoto, Pete Shelley, John Cooper Clarke, anyone? More surreal than abysmal, shambolic rather than s**t e.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Debaser wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:the chameleons - york 2002
a f*cking shambles.
they shambled on stage, jimmy swore a lot and they played for about 13 minutes before f*cking off... when puressence do it well, they do it VERY well. this was not one of those gigs however.
I might just sit and wait for you lot to say which were s**t and I'll just pop in and say ' yessum, I was there too' :lol:

:eek: let's hope I'm not the cause :lol: :lol:

Bridgewater Hall - spoken word whatsit, anyone?
at least none of them are dead yet ;) :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:

at least none of them are dead yet ;) :lol:
OOoh, I don't kill 'em, just split 'em up!
Obviousman
Outside the Simian Flock

Another one I'd forgotten about:

Gonjasufi at Pukkelpop last year. The album's great, live it was a complete shambles. And comparing that gig to all later ones I heard about, the one I saw was pretty damn good by his standards :lol:
Styles are a lie.

My Facebook/My Flickr
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Obviousman wrote:Another one I'd forgotten about:

Gonjasufi at Pukkelpop last year. The album's great, live it was a complete shambles. And comparing that gig to all later ones I heard about, the one I saw was pretty damn good by his standards :lol:
Oh my god yes! That was just terrible :lol:
I even haven't listened to the album since.
in dub we trust
snowey

Puressence - Liverpool Carling Academy 2007 (i think)

Sorry Ness, Jo and QB but this was s**t.. sorry UTTER s**t!! Awfully boring and crap.

Nice drink, with nice people (and Ness...lol) beforehand tho.

The Railway Children - Liverpool Poly 1990

Crap....say no more.

The m*****n - Finsbury Park 01.06.1991

The band were very poor that day and topped it off with having a sax player. :eek:

The support of Killing Joke / NMA / Bleach etc etc were far better than the Mish.

Oh and Tranmere beat Bolton (spit) in the play off's at Wembley this day.
Debaser
Overbomber

snowey wrote:Puressence - Liverpool Carling Academy 2007 (i think)

Sorry Ness, Jo and QB but this was s**t.. sorry UTTER s**t!! Awfully boring and crap.
No need to apologise, we haven't put it as we have seen them much worse than that gig - I think by then they were at least playing for 40 mins :lol:

As for the drinkys beforehand - always a giggle :lol: