Anyone know much about Xbox consoles?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
DocSommer wrote:As for the XBox: You might know a guy who knows a guy who can do something with the console so it can run backup copies of original games :innocent:
really? ;D

from germany? and without invalidating a warranty? :lol:
From what I heard many game-stores (probably the smaller ones) are doing this under the counter - probably not just in germany. Pricing is 20-50€ - depending on the hardware revision I guess. A friend of mimne paid only 20€ because it was just necessary to put another firmware on the DVD drive. The warranty by M$ is invalid of course (case must be opened) except the modder agrees to take over the warranty (higher price then). Giving the price for a new console and the software it's easy to estimate the cost-benefit ratio even if there's a little risk if something happens with the console during the warranty timespan :innocent:
nodubmanshouts
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

If its not too late, the correct answer is buy a PS3. Even if, on the surface, the 360 is cheaper, its not in the long run:

- PS3 controllers recharge. 360 controllers requires an optional add on to charge.
- you have to pay for online, month in month out, on the 360. This may not be an issue for you, but on the PS3 it is free.
- The PS3 is more powerful. While for most games this doesn't matter, the Sony made games kick ass over the MS made games.
- MS's internal teams have already stopped work on 360 games. It'll be dead in 18 months.

Disclaimer: I own both consoles.

ps. both consoles have 512MB RAM.
Drsisters

Another reason to get a PS3 over Xbox is PS3 media server :wink:
I rarely play on my PS3 these days instead it is working as a movie theater for my tv, does a excellent job to stream all movies I got on my computer :P

which a xbox will never be able to do, if you get tired of gaming that is.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

http://xboxmediaserver.com/

You can use media playback with xbox as well but I think you have another computer up and running as streaming source/server so you can't play every stuff native like *.mkv files from a NAS or USB drive (how lame). I prefer using a dedicated HTPC.

The first revision of the xbox 360 was very loud under high CPU load - I don't know if the recent edition is quite enough for home cinema purposes.
- MS's internal teams have already stopped work on 360 games. It'll be dead in 18 months.
So what? Games mady by MS aren't always great and there are a lot of other (way more interesting) publishers out there who can and will continue developing until a certain point. It's most likely that both MS and Sony are going to bring out a new console generation in ~18 month since it's getting harder to provide state of the art graphics on both platforms. Playing graphic intense games in weird sub-HD resolutions looks terrible on large HD screens, especially without proper anti aliasing (like "dude, why does the stairs have stairs"^^).

Once a new generation of new consoles enters the market, there's usually just a short timespan of co-existence. It doesn't take much time until the most interesting games gets released only on the newest generation. Most game studios are already looking forward to this moment since it seems to be a pain in the ass to develop cross-platform games.
DerekR
Doobie Brother

I'm what you might call a casual gamer. Driving games such as the NFS series normally do it for me, with the occasional foray into the land of Red Dead Redemption and Assassins Creed (but I don't really have the patience for that kind of game for long). I tend to use my 360 more these days for streaming movies to my projector which now has pride of place in my dining room. EVERYTHING looks great on a projector, and it works best in the dark, perfect for goffs :lol:

What we really need is a HL gaming night (ie excuse for a p*ss-up) round mine sometime, with Mr Weebs on hand to show me how to play those more 'challenging' games :wink:
weebleswobble
Underneath the Rock

DerekR wrote: What we really need is a HL gaming night (ie excuse for a p*ss-up) round mine sometime, with Mr Weebs on hand to show me how to play those more 'challenging' games :wink:
Game On For 2012!
‎"We will wear some very loud shirts. We will wear some very wrong trousers."
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Excellent!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

I'll bring my C=64...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

R Tape loading error, 0:1
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

?CANNOT DIVIDE BY ZERO

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

+++out of cheese error . redo from start+++
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:+++out of cheese error . redo from start+++
Hehe, Anthill Inside...

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

We've got two threads derailed with this crap now ;D

My work here is done.
—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

markfiend wrote:We've got two threads derailed with this crap now ;D

My work here is done.
Check! ;D

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
while True:
    derail(thread)
Last edited by markfiend on 21 Dec 2011, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

10 thread = derail
20 goto 10
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Izzy HaveMercy

30 END
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

END statements are for wimps.
—Bertrand Russell
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

+ it wouldn't work here^^
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:END statements are for wimps.
Yep, you should exit from a routine programmatically (when pre conditions are met) and not rely on EXIT commands.

Having said that, GO TOs are worse :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

GOTO is a major source of raptor attack:

—Bertrand Russell
Izzy HaveMercy

Quiff Boy wrote:
markfiend wrote:END statements are for wimps.
Yep, you should exit from a routine programmatically (when pre conditions are met) and not rely on EXIT commands.

Having said that, GO TOs are worse :lol:
You guys wouldn't recognise a proper C=64 even if it typed your mismatch error... tssss ;D

IZ.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was a ZX Spectrum kid.
—Bertrand Russell
nodubmanshouts

So what? Games mady by MS aren't always great and there are a lot of other (way more interesting) publishers out there who can and will continue developing until a certain point. It's most likely that both MS and Sony are going to bring out a new console generation in ~18 month since it's getting harder to provide state of the art graphics on both platforms. Playing graphic intense games in weird sub-HD resolutions looks terrible on large HD screens, especially without proper anti aliasing (like "dude, why does the stairs have stairs"^^).

Once a new generation of new consoles enters the market, there's usually just a short timespan of co-existence. It doesn't take much time until the most interesting games gets released only on the newest generation. Most game studios are already looking forward to this moment since it seems to be a pain in the ass to develop cross-platform games.
Not correct, really. MS killed the original Xbox overnight, and their plan is to do the same with the 360. Expect a new Xbox and Halo by Christmas 2012. Expect nothing new on the 360 from.... now on. The major publishers are no longer developing 360 games.

Sony, on the other hand, continued to support PS2 with AAA titles for quite a while... I'll personally be looking forward to this http://www.lastofus.com/agegate.html
next year.