Lucretia's bassline

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

FatTimBob wrote:She didn't seem to have any problems playing bass for The Damned :innocent:
Exactly.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:
FatTimBob wrote:She didn't seem to have any problems playing bass for The Damned :innocent:
Exactly.
I'm not saying Patty it's a bad bass player, or a Sid Vicious bass player, in fact, she made a awesome work at The Damned.
I'm just saying she never played at The Sisters. :lol:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
demolitionsisters
Road Kill

Husek wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Exactly.
I'm not saying Patty it's a bad bass player, or a Sid Vicious bass player, in fact, she made a awesome work at The Damned.
Or that she wasn't allowed to by our best man.
Machine Regime
Amphetamine Filth

demolitionsisters wrote:
Husek wrote:
markfiend wrote: Exactly.
Has Pat ever actually alluded to which parts of Floodland she claims to have played on? I mean, why take Eldo to court if she didn't have some evidence that she did more than pout in one or two photo shoots and music videos?
People do so like to help you keep your feet on the ground
Husek

Machine Regime wrote:
demolitionsisters wrote:
Husek wrote: I'm not saying Patty it's a bad bass player, or a Sid Vicious bass player, in fact, she made a awesome work at The Damned.
Has Pat ever actually alluded to which parts of Floodland she claims to have played on? I mean, why take Eldo to court if she didn't have some evidence that she did more than pout in one or two photo shoots and music videos?
I've a personal conviction that Pat didn't played a single song in the whole album, maybe she gave some riffs ideas to Von or helped with something else, but her main function it was what we saw(A Sidekick?).
If anyone ask me 'so, who played bass in Floodland?', the answer would be 'The Dok'.
Project Personal Dok
Sita

Machine Regime wrote:Has Pat ever actually alluded to which parts of Floodland she claims to have played on? I mean, why take Eldo to court if she didn't have some evidence that she did more than pout in one or two photo shoots and music videos?
But she didn't take him to court. They mutually agreed that they won't talk about what happened, and they are sticking to it. If you pay attention to what they are literally saying, he is neither saying she didn't play, nor is she saying she did.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Husek wrote:If anyone ask me 'so, who played bass in Floodland?', the answer would be 'The Dok'.
Or Derick Johnson.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:
Exactly.
Or with the Gun Club:

8)
in dub we trust
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Bartek wrote:Photoshoped!

:lol:
I can see why you'd think that, but no sir ;D
in dub we trust
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I posted my analysis a while ago, some of the songs on Floodland are synth-bass, some are real bass. I see no reason to believe that the real bass is played by anyone other than Patricia.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
FatTimBob
Road Kill

radiojamaica wrote:
Bartek wrote:Photoshoped!

:lol:

I can see why you'd think that, but no sir ;D

If my boss wouldn't let me do my job, I'd sack the f**ker, and dance my pretty socks off somewhere else.

The Damned

Gun Club
Jim
Slight Overbomber

I always assumed synth bass. I think there's a rough demo that definitely has synth bass, and I don't see why they'd have changed it, especially for something so simple.

Only real bass lines that jump to mind are Driven and This Corrosion.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
Jim
Slight Overbomber

And maybe not even This Corrosion now I think about it.
"You do realize you're talking to a man with a human head in his hands who has every intention of using it to beat these people to death?"
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Lucretia is definitely a real bass.
—Bertrand Russell
Husek

markfiend wrote:Lucretia is definitely a real bass.
Indeed.
But a Real Bass who played the riff once.
The rest of the song it's just a loop :lol:
Project Personal Dok
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:I posted my analysis a while ago, some of the songs on Floodland are synth-bass, some are real bass. I see no reason to believe that the real bass is played by anyone other than Patricia.
stufarq wrote:Or Derick Johnson.
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

Sita wrote:
Machine Regime wrote:Has Pat ever actually alluded to which parts of Floodland she claims to have played on? I mean, why take Eldo to court if she didn't have some evidence that she did more than pout in one or two photo shoots and music videos?
But she didn't take him to court. They mutually agreed that they won't talk about what happened, and they are sticking to it. If you pay attention to what they are literally saying, he is neither saying she didn't play, nor is she saying she did.
In an April 1992 NME interview, mention is made of a writ Eldritch had received from Morrison.

Hasn't Patricia herself gone on record as saying that she did play on Floodland? Personally, I'd never even assumed otherwise. It does seem a bit weird to hire a professional bass player for your band, pay them a salary and then pay a different bass player to play on your record.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

It's possible that everything was recorded before he invited her to join the Sisters. (Being in the Sisterhood doesn't mean that she was automatically in the parent band.)

Alternatively, she played on some songs and Derick Johnson played on others. (Again, why creidt a bass player in the sleeve notes if he didn't play?)

But the problem is that Von said (or at least strongly implied) that she didn't play. Was that just out of meanness? From memory, the phrase he used was something like (if she'd ever bothered to lift he bass when there wasn't a camera around", which implies an unwillingness or laziness on her part. Maybe she was supposed to play on the album but kept avoiding it and Johnson was brought in as a result.

Another possibility is that we've all misinterpreted the context and Von was referring not to the recording but to some reason for them never playing live. Maybe he wanted to and she didn't. All speculation of course.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:Lucretia is definitely a real bass.
Talking about album version, I assume? What about 7/12" inch version?
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
Sita

metal on metal wrote: Hasn't Patricia herself gone on record as saying that she did play on Floodland? Personally, I'd never even assumed otherwise. It does seem a bit weird to hire a professional bass player for your band, pay them a salary and then pay a different bass player to play on your record.
I never assumed she didn't play either, and was very surprised to hear Eldritch imply that in some interview. That's why I paid attention to what she literally said. To my knowledge, she never expressis verbis says that she played on the album, instead, she'd point out that her being in the videos and on the photos was an important part of the band. And of course, to everyone who pays only superficial attention (unlike us über fans who scrutinise every word ;)) "being part of the band" would equal playing the bloody instrument. But to my understanding, the trick is in the small printed.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Sita wrote:I never assumed she didn't play either, and was very surprised to hear Eldritch imply that in some interview. That's why I paid attention to what she literally said. To my knowledge, she never expressis verbis says that she played on the album, instead, she'd point out that her being in the videos and on the photos was an important part of the band. And of course, to everyone who pays only superficial attention (unlike us über fans who scrutinise every word ;)) "being part of the band" would equal playing the bloody instrument. But to my understanding, the trick is in the small printed.
Hm, that's interesting. Does anyone have any quote where she (or anyone else) has actually said that she played on the record? For that matter, can someone dig out the actual quote where Von implied that she didn't? And is there any evidence that this was what their court case was about? I remember a Q interview where Von said that he couldn't talk about it so has anythong ever come out in public?
Sita

stufarq wrote:Does anyone have any quote where she (or anyone else) has actually said that she played on the record?
All I remember is that in the interview I mean, she replied something along the lines of "ask the people who listened to the music and watched the videos". And it's a print interview. I hope someone else can be of more help.
For that matter, can someone dig out the actual quote where Von implied that she didn't? And is there any evidence that this was what their court case was about? I remember a Q interview where Von said that he couldn't talk about it so has anythong ever come out in public?
For example in this, around 3:28 - sorry I don't know any with better audio:
http://youtu.be/DhMSBMsfeRE

Hmm, maybe the lengthy and quite bitter "Classic Rock" feature from about two years ago? I'm sure that one is in the archives here. I don't mean the interview where :von: looks like Imhotep, I mean a previous feature where they dug up all sorts of people that Eldritch had worked with, some of whom were quite nasty.
Pista
Cureboi

Coachoutletstores wrote:.
Spammy spam spam spam!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

I believe he's trying to say a handbag played the basslines.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.