NEW MUSICAL GENRES POST 1986

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
bearskin
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I can cope with The Jam but nothing that Weller has done since. Any credibility he ever had should have been utterly and permanently destroyed by the Style Council.
I've got a fair amount of the recording Weller did with the Style Council, and it is certainly pop, and light at that. It's my least favourite phase of his music, and coincided funnily enough, with the rise of much more interesting bands - like the alternative scene, inc our own TSOM.

I adore the Jam, but I do rate his solo output as well.
bearskin

markfiend wrote:Some people seem to count "Gift" as a Sisters album.
I certainly do. Would like to have it explained to me, by those with more expertise in matters Sisters, what makes it is less a Sisters album than the others?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

1: It's by The Sisterhood not The Sisters Of Mercy.

2: errrm...

3: That's it.

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Von doesn't actually sing on it.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

stufarq wrote:Von doesn't actually sing on it.
Well, so we were told, but IIRC James Ray denied that Colours was him...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bearskin

markfiend wrote:1: It's by The Sisterhood not The Sisters Of Mercy.

Would you therefore classify 'Rain from Heaven' as a cover version when it's played live by The Sisters of Mercy?
Being645
Intellectual Love God

bearskin wrote:

Would you therefore classify 'Rain from Heaven' as a cover version when it's played live by The Sisters of Mercy?
Or Giving Ground ... :eek: ...
GC
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:
bearskin wrote:

Or Giving Ground ... :eek: ...
Or Jihad.... :eek: :eek: :D
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

bearskin wrote:Would you therefore classify 'Rain from Heaven' as a cover version when it's played live by The Sisters of Mercy?
Good question.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

bearskin wrote:Would you therefore classify 'Rain from Heaven' as a cover version when it's played live by The Sisters of Mercy?
It's more akin to, say, Weller singing Jam songs solo.