Matt Smith will no longer be The Doctor

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

markfiend wrote:Christ, I misread that as Roy Kinnear! :lol:
Me too! I mean there's time travel and then there's just insanity!
bangles wrote:My kids as well, really liked him & hey, isn't that what it's all about? Okay, not my kids specifically but y'know children? They don't give a f**k about plots or insane story arcs - they just want to be entertained & terrified in equal measure & I thought the current incarnation delivered that.
Very true! Scaring kids is the cardinal first rule of Doctor Who. Thing is, its popularity has so eclipsed even the Classic series that you have to acknowledge that a significant part of the fanbase is now well into adulthood.

That's where Moffat falls down - as they say up here, "So sharp he'll cut himself" Fans want complex story-arcs, but it's a fine line before you end up in late-series X-Files territory. Or the guff that is series finales for Doctor Who.

Rassilon help us for the Fiftieth Anniversary.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote:it's a fine line before you end up in late-series X-Files territory.
:lol: I think the X-Files is the definitive example of a series collapsing under the weight of its own story-arc.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote:
timsinister wrote:it's a fine line before you end up in late-series X-Files territory.
:lol: I think the X-Files is the definitive example of a series collapsing under the weight of its own story-arc.
great expression :lol:

i thought a similar thing about the matrix: the first film was a cool, sci-fi action flick with a vaguely orwellian pretext, with hints of a terminator-eqsue dystopian future.

it was enjoyable, special effects laden nonsense, and it worked in a self-contained, dont-think-too-hard-about-the-back-story kinda way

sadly, it was so successful the writers were forced to cobble together some more mumbo jumbo to flesh out the first film's nonsense, with each sequel become less comprehensible and more convoluted until by the end of 3rd (and thankfully) film, it had most definitely "done an oozalum bird" :urff: :roll:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Last edited by markfiend on 10 Jun 2013, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

timsinister wrote:Thing is, its popularity has so eclipsed even the Classic series
That's debatable. For most of its run the original series had comparable ratings to the current one and during Tom Baker's time they were significantly higher. More people were watching so surely it was more popular. The difference now is marketing and the fact that everything is so in-yer-face with things like roadshows, stage shows, wall-to-wall publicity etc. There's not even that much more merchandising now. It's just better made.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

timsinister wrote:.... you have to acknowledge that a significant part of the fanbase is now well into adulthood.
I think it was always that way. I grew up with Tom Baker's Doctor & I think the only reason I was initially exposed to it was because my dad was a fan.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Pista wrote:
timsinister wrote:.... you have to acknowledge that a significant part of the fanbase is now well into adulthood.
I think it was always that way. I grew up with Tom Baker's Doctor & I think the only reason I was initially exposed to it was because my dad was a fan.
Yeah, during the '70s producers discovered that the show had a big student and adult following and started catering for them with things like more serious themes (politics, prison reform, environmentalism), gothic horror parodies and Leela in a leather swimsuit.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

I'm hearing Nigel Havers' name being banded about as the next Doctor

Personally, I'd like to see Lemmy in the role ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I've kinda stopped caring. I hardly watched the last series, not because I disliked Matt Smith, but because of the writing. Especially the last companion and how it is she who is responsible for all the Doctor's near misses with regeneration/death (past, present and future) rather than the Doctor's intellect saving him by the skin of his teeth. It's pretty much destroyed The Doctor as from now on, he won't be saving himself, but some "guardian angel" floating around in his timeline like an unflushable turd.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
xseawitch
Road Kill

I'm rooting for Chiwetel Ejiofor, but we'll soon know. I haven't watched it much with Matt Smith, found the storylines too silly, but I'm always hopeful.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

peter capaldi! that was a nice surprise! I imagine that will put a lot more substance to the show for some people...
Asperum Aestimate Fimi Aliquid Hodie
LyanvisAberrant

I can see this dude being a little like Chriss Ecc. Quite dark with a strange sense of humour.

Looking forward to it :)
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

Four strings good, six strings bad
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm sure all the Malcolm Tucker jokes have been done to death elsewhere, but I just can't help it...

"You're a cyberman? You're an eff star star c*nt!"
—Bertrand Russell
metal on metal
Amphetamine Filth

Wonderful choice. I think Peter Capaldi will be a magnificent Doctor.

Now all the programme needs is a new head writer, as soon as possible ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

and yet some people were moaning about "royal baby" :P :wink:

(yes i know 'royal baby' was thing for about a week, while this is only 1-2 days info, but i believe that you know what's my point)
JansenClone

markfiend wrote:I'm sure all the Malcolm Tucker jokes have been done to death elsewhere, but I just can't help it...

"You're a cyberman? You're an eff star star c*nt!"
Indeed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

P.S. Language not work-safe...
I am a Leeds United fan because I was very naughty in a previous life.
Suleiman
Amphetamine Filth

And he directed "Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life" :notworthy: