Vinyl cuts not available on CD

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Syberberg
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

You missed Ozymandias - Dominion cassette single B-side. I can't remember if it appears on the CD single though.
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Syberberg wrote:You missed Ozymandias - Dominion cassette single B-side. I can't remember if it appears on the CD single though.
It is on the CD single, same tracks ... and same durations, I guess ...
Syberberg

Being645 wrote:
Syberberg wrote:You missed Ozymandias - Dominion cassette single B-side. I can't remember if it appears on the CD single though.
It is on the CD single, same tracks ... and same durations, I guess ...
Thank you for clarifying that. :D :notworthy:
I don't necessarily agree with everything I think.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
stufarq wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Driven Like the Snow (LP)
I didn't know the LP and CD versions were different (or possibly I did but have forgotten). How different are they?
The LP version lacks the extended 40 second ambient intro that's on the CD.
It's not just the intro... the vinyl also doesn't have the 12 second (ahem) 'synth' solo from approx 4.50
TheBoyNextDoor

I guess this includes the 7" version of This Corrosion?

The World's End Soundtrack
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

(Of Long Train) robertzombie wrote:That's on the Floodland reissue :)
it's actually on the "first and last and always" reissue cd (though in the three cd box-set it's in the same package as "floodland"). :wink:
this is because of the track originally appearing on a free flexi 7" given with the walk away 12" and therefore being of that albums era rather than the floodland-era when it re-appeared as the b-side of lucretia.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid

:lol: good to see me anorak still fits even though i'm now a fat bastard!

robertzombie
Overbomber

JohnR wrote:The Some Boys Wander boot includes what is labeled as "Body and Soul (Special 12" EP Version)." Are there actually different mixes of this song? Does Slight Case of Overbombing include the 7" mix, and this 12" mix is unavailable on CD?
The track lengths of the 7" and 12" are the same, but it's possible they might contain different mixes.

I recently upgraded some of my hifi equipment and I'm going to attempt some needle drops of these unreleased on CD tracks. Once I do both Body & Soul's I'll be able to compare them.
eastmidswhizzkid

kiss the carpet (reprise) on the reptile house e.p. is not the same as the SGWBM version: the original (satisfyingly) ends at full volume, whereas the one on SGWBM fades down....is this too picky? :innocent:

lsind
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:the original (satisfyingly) ends at full volume, whereas the one on SGWBM fades down....is this too picky? :innocent:
Nope. THAT is a significant difference for us obsessive collectors. And one which I had never noticed... :oops:
robertzombie
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:kiss the carpet (reprise) on the reptile house e.p. is not the same as the SGWBM version: the original (satisfyingly) ends at full volume, whereas the one on SGWBM fades down....is this too picky? :innocent:
Well spotted! I always felt the Reptile House EP came across poorly on SGWBM. In fact, the entire compilation seems to lack the punch of the original reocrds, it's pretty flat on CD.
bangles

robertzombie wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:kiss the carpet (reprise) on the reptile house e.p. is not the same as the SGWBM version: the original (satisfyingly) ends at full volume, whereas the one on SGWBM fades down....is this too picky? :innocent:
Well spotted! I always felt the Reptile House EP came across poorly on SGWBM. In fact, the entire compilation seems to lack the punch of the original reocrds, it's pretty flat on CD.
Seconded! The EP's seem to have far more (sorry to get technical) oomph...
:lol:
JohnR
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:
JohnR wrote:The Some Boys Wander boot includes what is labeled as "Body and Soul (Special 12" EP Version)." Are there actually different mixes of this song? Does Slight Case of Overbombing include the 7" mix, and this 12" mix is unavailable on CD?
The track lengths of the 7" and 12" are the same, but it's possible they might contain different mixes.

I recently upgraded some of my hifi equipment and I'm going to attempt some needle drops of these unreleased on CD tracks. Once I do both Body & Soul's I'll be able to compare them.
The version on Some Boys Wander does sound different/more aggressive (louder guitars) than the version on Overbombing, but it's entirely possible the version on Overbombing was just mastered poorly - the same issue affecting Kiss the Carpet, etc on Some Girls Wander. I've never heard the original vinyl, so I'm looking forward to your verdict!
My friends call me Jack.
eastmidswhizzkid

robertzombie wrote:
when SGWBM came out a friend of mine bought it on vinyl. having all the content on vinyl already i just taped his lp to start with,and i was quite horrified by it. as i was used to each single/e.p. being a beloved seperate entity, being forced to listen to them in an order not of my choosing ( and the same one each time!) not to mention the disparate volumes of each being neatly levelled to a standard, put me off buying it for years until i gave in to the inevitable and bought it on cd. :?

robertzombie
Overbomber

After a slight delay this project has now begun :)
lsind
Road Kill

Nice. Please let us know the results of your "investigation" when you're done.
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

iirc flood II is shorter on vinyl than on the cd
bearskin

JohnR wrote:I've never heard the original vinyl, so I'm looking forward to your verdict!
As an old fart who bought the Sisters stuff as it came out in the early 1980s, I did a bit of a double take here. :lol:

Of course, I forget that people who are buying TSOM music since the advent of the CD format are of course likely to have never had the original format of releases before that era.

On that note - what was the first TSOM release to get the original release on CD as well as vinyl. And, what was the first cassette - I would assume the FALA album?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

bearskin wrote:On that note - what was the first TSOM release to get the original release on CD as well as vinyl. And, what was the first cassette - I would assume the FALA album?
FALAA would probably be the first cassette. Cassette singles did exist by that time but they were rare and I don't think any of the singles prior to This Corrosion were released on cassette.

Wasn't TC the first CD? Or did FALAA or Gift get CD releases when they first came out?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Being645
Wiki Wizard

This Corrosion was the first CD-release, followed by Floodland, Dominion, Lucretia, First And Last And Always ... Gift was first released on CD in 1990 ...
robertzombie
Overbomber

I've done a few tests with my set-up and will do some Sisters material this weekend :)
bearskin

stufarq wrote: Cassette singles did exist by that time but they were rare and I don't think any of the singles prior to This Corrosion were released on cassette.
Wasn't that BowWowWow release trumpeted as the first cassette single - or (from a hazy memory) was that the first cassette-ONLY single? I had that (and liked it).

I have the TC cassette - very nice.

I also recall, rather shamefacedly, only having the Bauhaus 'Mask' album on cassette for years, rather than the immensely superior vinyl. :oops:
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

bearskin wrote:Wasn't that BowWowWow release trumpeted as the first cassette single - or (from a hazy memory) was that the first cassette-ONLY single? I had that (and liked it).
C30, C60, C90, Go! Yes, I think that's generally agreed to have been the first one, in 1980. Only a handful were released at all until 1984 when ZTT started making fuller use of them, especially with Frankie Goes to Hollywood.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
robertzombie
Overbomber

I needle dropped the Reptile House EP last night. Sounds great, so much more life and detail than the transfer on SGWBM!

For those interested, I'm using a Pro-Ject Essential turntable with Ortofon OM5e cartridge, into an external Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD Sound Card. Recording with Adobe Audition 3 at 32 bit float and 96khz.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

If you have a half-way decent system then the analogue should sound better than the digital. That is one of the laws of the Universe - I'm surprised Brian Cox hasn't done a series on it.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives