Your favourite moment in any Sisters song

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
The Fat One
Road Kill

the live screams, most notably during Sister Ray or at the end of Emma
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The live version of giving ground... probably. Our little Vonny hit some notes (more like slapped em lightly) that tony never could.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
radiojamaica
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:The moment the bass comes in on Dominion.
Oh yes!

The Fat One wrote:the live screams, most notably during Sister Ray or at the end of Emma
That too!

The good Doktor when Burn starts.

And back in the early nineties when Tim Bricheno unleashed his guitar on Gimme Shelter and at the end of Ribbons. Immense...

etc etc etc
in dub we trust
czuczu
Overbomber

Tim's Shelter and his Corrosion intro were both highlights :notworthy:
Andreas was always trying out different bits of business for the Ribbons intro and the 2 of them doing the extended Temple was also a wonderful thing.
Camy
Road Kill

Guitar slide in the beginning of When you don't see me

Yeah yeah yeah's in the YCBTO chorus

End of Marian(Maariaaaannnnnn)
splintered thing

kafka wrote:For me, there are many, but--and I know this is a weird one--I would say it's the first big opening chord of Black Planet, right around 0:08. Every time I hear it it takes me back to when I first heard the Sisters.
That is my SMS tone... :oops: ...Dominion first few bars my ringtone. :lol:

For me the lead-in bass in Lucretia still makes me tingle all over every time.

The lines "and were it not so black and not so hard to see, what use to you then any fire?" sometimes lingers in my head for days on end.
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
splintered thing

oh and the very very last drum roll in walk away!
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Aazhyd
Amphetamine Filth

INCOMING! At the end of Ribbons. Still my ringtone.
Only the Americans could have built a place like this in the middle of a jungle.
bangles
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

radiojamaica wrote:[

The good Doktor when Burn starts.

And back in the early nineties when Tim Bricheno unleashed his guitar on Gimme Shelter and at the end of Ribbons. Immense...

etc etc etc
Seconded - the version of Shelter in the NEC 92 is particulary jaw dropping.

Live screams in Body Electric & Floorshow

Sister Ray/Louie Louie/ Ghostrider medely in 83

Silver Machine with UTG lyrics
blackandgold65

Pretty much the whole of Body Electric - especially the descending bassline

the 'shimmering' keyboard line towards end of full version of Neverland - sent shivers, always reminds me of sitting in the dark, listening to this loud and watching the ember of the cigarette I was smoking going down and down (goes misty eyed at this point.....!!!)
"I think insipid music is very dangerous. It's a narcotic for the nation as you very well know."
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

The Fat One wrote:the live screams, most notably during Sister Ray or at the end of Emma
Until you posted this, I'd never realised just how many of the SGWBM era songs ended in a scream (or two). Adrenochrome, Alice, Floorshow, Good Things, 1969, Kiss the Carpet are just a few examples from the top of my head as I type. A natural climax to a song or just a lazy way of bringing things to an end for a novice songsmith ?[/i]
Venus
Amphetamine Filth

Oh and UTG "love is fine but you can't hold it like a ..." Brilliantly cruel.
Bass - Romeo Down
Drums - Flood II
Fav live scream Floorshow 28 Aug 1983
centurionofprix

Backing vocals in the When You Don't See Me chorus, especially the remix. The last "when you don't see me" refrain when the chorus ends. The clean guitar playing the pretty major chords of the prechorus. The whole damn song really.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

The moment in the live shows when I finally work out what song they're playing.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
LyanvisAberrant

stufarq wrote:The moment in the live shows when I finally work out what song they're playing.
The moment in the live shows where you finally work out where the band are standing.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
bearskin

'Alice' - when the bass gets it's full rumble on - around 0.27. And then again when the vocal starts around the 1 minute mark, to complete your realisation that you are indeed listening to something fairly remarkable.

Otherwise, my all time favourite Sisters record moment was on 7th October 1983 (a couple of days out from my 17th birthday) when I got my copy of the 12" 'Temple of Love' home from the local record shop, and first put needle to the groove.

That exact moment will stay with me forever.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm quite fond of the bit near the beginning of Kiss The Carpet where it starts to rattle the windows.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
czuczu
Overbomber

LyanvisAberrant wrote:
stufarq wrote:The moment in the live shows when I finally work out what song they're playing.
The moment in the live shows where you finally work out where the band are standing.
The moment when you work out what end the stage is when you're lost in the smoke?
LyanvisAberrant

czuczu wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote:
The moment when you work out what end the stage is when you're lost in the smoke?
That moment in the live shows when you realise you're actually just standing in the smokers lounge.
jande

czuczu wrote:
LyanvisAberrant wrote:
The moment when you realise that you've paid £20 for the ticket and can't see the singer never mind the bloody drummer
Say!
In the dark? Here in the dark!
Would you, could you, in the dark?
iesus
Overbomber

In This Corrosion all lives when there is the 1- 2- 3- 4 moment before the hell break lose in refrain ;D favorite moment :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
iesus
Overbomber

Also i would like to add the moment when there is someone un-experienced from Sisters and asks his friends "where is the drummer?" or "omg, they are playing playback", always someone asks in 2-3 meters from you in any live :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
cardoman
Slight Overbomber

The start of giving ground

The Marian area

'Marian I think I'm drowning
This sea is killing me'

the beautiful drowning?
Was it Alice or our daughter Ellice???
hellboy69

on the subject of Marian...

all of it (version) :notworthy:
Silver_Owl
The Don

Has anybody mentioned the 'stuck inside of Memphis' line. That's always my favourite bit of any gig. ;D
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.